Trouble Syncing Across Devices

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
This post has 3 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 2
Sean Heady | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Dec 27 2016 8:04 AM

I have Logos 7 on my Macbook Pro (running Sierra 10.12.2) and also the Logos app on my Galaxy S7 Edge (running latest version of Android, 6.0.1).

I'm reading a book on both my laptop and my phone, but they refuse to sync.  I constantly have to search for the last page read on the previous device, then thumb through to the correct page.  Is it unfortunately an Apple vs.Android issue or is there a fix for this?

Thanks for your input.

Sean

Posts 21920
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 27 2016 3:04 PM

Hi Sean - and welcome to the forums.

If you have a resource open on multiple devices then reading on one won't update the position on another device.

If you resource is closed on one device then when you open it on that one it should open to the same place as you got to on another device.

Is this conistent with what you are seeing?

Graham

Posts 1105
Sean | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 27 2016 8:29 PM

Sean Heady:
I'm reading a book on both my laptop and my phone, but they refuse to sync.  I constantly have to search for the last page read on the previous device, then thumb through to the correct page.  Is it unfortunately an Apple vs.Android issue or is there a fix for this?

The computer version of Logos syncs much as you would suppose--on opening and closing of the program and also fairly continuously while running. The Android app, however, doesn't behave exactly as we might like. Basically, it works like this:

-If a resource was left open when you last used the app, upon reopening the app it will not sync with the desktop but will resume where you left off reading on the app.

-Resources not open on the app will sync with desktop upon reopening (or resuming, I think) the app, but it may take a few minutes. If you open the resource before syncing completes, it will go to the last place read (or previously synced) on the app.

I myself bounce back and forth from reading on my laptop and my phone, so here's what I do to get what you're looking for:

1. Read as you like on the laptop. When finished, if not closing Logos, at least close the resource and make sure Logos has synced.
  2. Open the app on Android and wait for syncing to complete. This may take some time and is not always easy to tell. Normally I wait for my reading plans on the home page to update. Once that has happened, the library should have updated as well and the resources should be synced. 
  3. Open the desired resource from the library. It should open at the place you left off on the laptop.
  4. (This is the important part): Once done reading on your phone, switch to a different resource. (I usually pick a Bible I'm not reading through.) Otherwise, when you start this cycle over again at point #1, at point #2 it won't sync with the last desktop location but simply continue where you left last time on the phone.

I hope that's clear enough--I'm not always the best at explaining things like this but it's definitely an issue I deal with frequently.

Of course, all of this would be unnecessary if the app simply had a "go to most recent location" function, but I wouldn't recommend getting your hopes up for something like that.

Posts 2
Sean Heady | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 30 2016 6:47 AM

Thank you so much.  This helps in understanding how the two platforms interact.  Yes, it would be a nice feature to have the "sync to furthest read" pop up, like Kindle does.  Hopefully this will be a possibility in the future.  I appreciate you taking the time to explain this.

God Bless,

Sean

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS