Feeding the sheep...

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
This post has 10 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 255
Pat Flanakin | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Mar 15 2010 6:07 AM

Just a word of caution...

I used to be heavy into photography for a few years and found out that professional photographers, once they went from film cameras to digital cameras full time, realized the necessity for backups because software and hardware for storage WILL FAIL at some point.  Some had two onsite backups and an offsite backup for all the photos they took and processed; hey, it is their business and livelihood, right?

Additionally, I think feeding the sheep the Word of God is incalculably more important than anything else; therefore, much more important for those pastors who are relying on Logos, or any other bible study program, for a majority of their study vs. hard volumes to backup their work, have a duplicate boot drive, separate computer with Logos loaded, etc....

I am not a pastor, however, as a husband, and a father as well, I am commanded to be the shepherd of my family and feed them and I use Logos to do this, in additional to hard copies of the most important works I believe I need to help me exposite the Word for them.

I say all this to warn those that do not have a duplicate system, backups, etc... of this most important of human tasks (i.e. feeding the sheep the Word of God) to please develop a system WHEN yours fails in the field.  I have seen this as a problem for those pastors who are using computers solely for their notes and presentations; they have not prepared logistically by having backups when the Lord tests their preparedness for feeding the sheep He has given them.

I have described my backup system to others on and off the forum and they have been surprised as to my concern for failure; however, I consider the time I spend in Bible study most important of all things I do, so I do not think treating that information and time lightly.  If I think that saving and backup pictures of my family is more important than saving and backing up my bible notes and bible study software, then I certainly have some priorities out of order.

Overall, I have rarely seen hard printed notes, or hardcopy volumes disappear or spontaneously combust from the pulpit, but I have seen computers not turn on, batteries die, hard drives fail, and things just generally become inaccessible instantaneously at the most crucial of moments where no good recovery was possible because the pastor had relied on his hard ware and software to always work and didn't have the sermon memorized, or a backup printout of his notes or a backup computer in the wings just in case his becomes defunct during a sermon.

Remember, a leader isn't only prepared for what they think is certain, but prayerfully prepares for that which may happen, to the extent possible.  God didn't give us a mind to be fatalistic.

Please keep this in mind as you think about implementing Logos in your feeding of your flocks.

In the love of Christ,
Pat Flanakin

Posts 2925
Forum MVP
Jacob Hantla | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 15 2010 6:34 AM

A very nice feature of L4 is the complete offsite backup of all notes taken within L4. Also, changes are synced across all computers so that changes made on one are "backed up" on all. 

Jacob Hantla
Pastor/Elder, Grace Bible Church
gbcaz.org

Posts 1539
Terry Poperszky | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 15 2010 6:42 AM

Please remember that Logos is not necessary for your bible study. I studied before Logos, and if for some reason Logos is unavailable, I will still be able to study. For that matter, much of what we consider crucial isn't.

Posts 2693
DominicM | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 15 2010 7:15 AM

At base level all we need is The Bible, The Holy Spirit,  sheet of paper, and pen, anything else is a luxury.

Technology is a tool but is not a shortcut to preaching success or even a shortcut into ministry, technology is not a replacement for "Divine calling/enabling/revelation/inspiration/annointing",  if your mission/ministry is not enough without the technology, then I would argue you will never be enough with it, as its not about the technology, its about the call of God on your life.

But that said, If you use technology, we are called to be wise, technology can also be distracting and cause us to become lazy.. ..some times I think we need to turn the technology off,  climb into the closet (or other quiet place) and just take a time out to spend quality uninterrupted time with God.

Oh and if you use technology, be wise and keep regular backups...

Never Deprive Anyone of Hope.. It Might Be ALL They Have

Posts 8601
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 15 2010 7:35 AM

DominicM:
At base level all we need is The Bible, The Holy Spirit, sheet of paper, and pen, anything else is a luxury.
Dominic, that is among the most quotable things you've said here.  Too true!  And the rest of your post was good too Yes

As for Backups, I'm relentless - and probably a bit neurotic. 

1.  Raid Mirror on my Computer in case of HD failure, but computer continuity.

2.  Raid Mirror on my NAS with (1) an up to the day "live" copy of my documents and notes and (2) an archived copy of last weeks notes and documents.

3.  Separate NAS soon to be installed at a friends house with a mirror of my NAS containing both copies of data.

4.  Microsoft Live Mesh stores my docs and notes "in the cloud". 

Yeah, probably overkill, but a decade ago I lost nearly five years of study material, notes, sermons and papers in a hard drive implosion.  I am committed to do everything in my own power to make sure it doesn't happen again.  I've done what I can.

Truth Is Still Truth Even if You Don't Believe It

Check the Wiki

Warning: Sarcasm is my love language. I may inadvertently express my love to you.

Posts 1646
SteveF | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 15 2010 7:56 AM

Pat Flanakin:

Thank you for the reminder, Pat.

...am backing up now.

Regards, SteveF

Posts 1674
Paul Golder | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 15 2010 7:57 AM

DominicM:
At base level all we need is The Bible, The Holy Spirit,  sheet of paper, and pen, anything else is a luxury.

Very nice. Smile Worked for thousands of years...

"As any translator will attest, a literal translation is no translation at all."

Posts 928
Bill Moore | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 15 2010 8:34 AM

A good word of caution. I never use a computer in the pulpit but always have printed notes and then file the notes.

Pastor, Cornerstone Baptist Church, Clinton, SC

Posts 116
Chris Thompson | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 15 2010 9:24 AM

DominicM:

Thanks for the reality check. It caused me to ponder further.

The sheep in question are not restricted to strings of information delivered in bits and bytes...nor do they receive their power from a 110 volt outlet.

Posts 255
Pat Flanakin | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 15 2010 11:56 AM

You're welcome...ergo, the point of my post.  For those that don't feel they need it, or already have something in place, feel free to ignore my post if you choose.

SteveF:

Pat Flanakin:

Thank you for the reminder, Pat.

...am backing up now.

Posts 255
Pat Flanakin | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 15 2010 11:57 AM

Ergo...please read...http://community.logos.com/forums/t/13377.aspx

Makes my point well.

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS