TIP: Organizing Your Interactives

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
This post has 10 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 10178
Denise | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Jan 1 2017 1:05 PM

This may not be a new tip ... there's lots of tipsters, plus Ms Tipster (MJ, who also has her own Logos Interactive).

I pretty much gave up on the interactives, there's so many, and they're all helter-skelter. 

Then, it dawned on me, they're listed ( when you mouse the Show-All-Intereactives button) using the library.

So, I renamed them all; a prefix, so they'll sort for easy grouping, and finding. Some are real jewels.

BTW: Re-titling resources often organizes resources in system panels. On receipt of the new Bibles collection, I re-titled them all to include a date prefix, so in Text Comparison, the oldies are both grouped, and sorted by date.

Posts 1646
SteveF | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 1 2017 2:31 PM

Denise:
So, I renamed them all; a prefix

Thanks, Denise Smile

Regards, SteveF

Posts 8941
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 1 2017 6:21 PM

Sounds interesting Denise Can you post a screenshot of what you did?

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 10178
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 2 2017 7:31 AM

Not easy ... my Logos desktop is now offline perminently. Hopefully the two super-expensive hebrew-greek prepubs won't appear until I switch to a Mac a couple years from now. So, the image is washed-out.

Posts 8941
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 2 2017 7:52 AM

Denise:
Not easy ... my Logos desktop is now offline perminently.

That sounds so final.Sad

But thanks for sharing the screenshot to show exactly what you did.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 10178
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 2 2017 8:04 AM

Big smile for me! Since the Logos apps are iffy on new books, I'll be rich!

The PC is running Windows7 and progressively unprotected. I refuse any more MS; their legacy demands are inherently weak. And I'm guessing the web is in for big trouble in the next 8 years. Best to hunker down and enjoy life.

Posts 8941
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 2 2017 8:09 AM

Denise:
And I'm guessing the web is in for big trouble in the next 8 years. Best to hunker down and enjoy life.

Sounds so ominous. Indifferent

Posts 809
Cynthia in Florida | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 2 2017 2:23 PM

Denise:

This may not be a new tip ... there's lots of tipsters, plus Ms Tipster (MJ, who also has her own Logos Interactive).

I pretty much gave up on the interactives, there's so many, and they're all helter-skelter. 

Then, it dawned on me, they're listed ( when you mouse the Show-All-Intereactives button) using the library.

So, I renamed them all; a prefix, so they'll sort for easy grouping, and finding. Some are real jewels.

BTW: Re-titling resources often organizes resources in system panels. On receipt of the new Bibles collection, I re-titled them all to include a date prefix, so in Text Comparison, the oldies are both grouped, and sorted by date.

Can you explain how this would be better than just going to my library, choosing to categorize by types, and seeing them all listed there?

Cynthia

Romans 8:28-38

Posts 10178
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 2 2017 2:51 PM

Hi, Cynthia

Well, since they're in the library, any type of management is available.

Reason 1

For me, I use 2 techniques to allow multi-level sorts: tagging, then re-titling. For example, within a tag grouping, the re-titling sorts the group. Absent the re-titling, they're generally still all mixed up. So, for an interactive, most I have separately tagged for other purposes ... jewish feasts in my jewish section, etc.  

Plus, when I'm in that tagged library section, I want to quickly see it's an interactive, not a book. Ergo, the prefix.

Reason 2

The software tools often display, sorted by title. So, I generally manage all my groupable resources by re-titling ... commentaries, lexicons, Bibles, and now intereactives. For example in searches, I sort results by title, which quickly groups my results my way. Ditto in the guides and text comparison.

Reason 3

Quite honestly I don't like interactives. So, I avoid them. But some are really good. So, organizing relative to the Show-All button motivates me. I know, dumb.

----

But again, all a matter of personal preferences. The power of Logos!

Posts 933
Matthew | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 3 2017 3:41 AM

Denise:
I know, dumb.

Not dumb at all. Every time I see a thread like this with screenshots of resources that have been renamed, I think how neat that would be. I am currently working on re-naming my commentaries so I can more easily make sense of my passage guide results. I would eventually like to rename other things in my library as well if I ever find the time. 

Posts 809
Cynthia in Florida | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 3 2017 5:14 PM

Denise:

Hi, Cynthia

Well, since they're in the library, any type of management is available.

Reason 1

For me, I use 2 techniques to allow multi-level sorts: tagging, then re-titling. For example, within a tag grouping, the re-titling sorts the group. Absent the re-titling, they're generally still all mixed up. So, for an interactive, most I have separately tagged for other purposes ... jewish feasts in my jewish section, etc.  

Plus, when I'm in that tagged library section, I want to quickly see it's an interactive, not a book. Ergo, the prefix.

Reason 2

The software tools often display, sorted by title. So, I generally manage all my groupable resources by re-titling ... commentaries, lexicons, Bibles, and now intereactives. For example in searches, I sort results by title, which quickly groups my results my way. Ditto in the guides and text comparison.

Reason 3

Quite honestly I don't like interactives. So, I avoid them. But some are really good. So, organizing relative to the Show-All button motivates me. I know, dumb.

----

But again, all a matter of personal preferences. The power of Logos!

Denise:  That makes perfect sense.  For me, it's like what I do with my visual filters.  I add a prefix so that they are grouped together.  For instance, if I made one for a book of the Bible, it would say Book-John, so that all books filters are together.  If it is a morphological filter I would put Morph-Greek Verb Tenses=Imperative, if I have a topic visual filter, I put Topic-Angel of the Lord, etc.

Thanks for explaining your thought process!

Cynthia

Romans 8:28-38

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS