The Christian Standard Bible (CSB)—Now on Pre-Pub (+ you may qualify for a free copy!)

Page 2 of 7 (127 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
This post has 126 Replies | 6 Followers

Posts 10765
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 15 2017 10:54 AM

alabama24:

Kenute P. Curry:
Why so modernize a translation, such as the HCSB, when there was nothing wrong with it to begin with. All we are seeing these days are modernized translations, which in my point of view is taking us further and further away from the truth of the Word of God.

I can't speak for this translation, nor do I want to get into any specifics. I will tell you, however, that I appreciate translations which utilize transliteration. I did want to speak for the broader issue, however. Language constantly changes and the need for new translations will continue until the Lord returns. I do think that it is interesting that the same arguments persist: There would be many people who would look at you and make the same argument... "Why the need for the HCSB? All we are seeing these days are modernized translations, which is taking us further and further away from the truth of the Word of God." Wink

YHWH/LORD attempts are always a curiousity, since YHWH's primary opponent was 'Lord' ... of course all absent upper or lower-case.  

"I didn't know God made honky tonk angels."

Posts 2539
David Ames | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 15 2017 3:03 PM

Denise:

since YHWH's primary opponent was 'Lord' ... of course all absent upper or lower-case.  

Reference please. 

Posts 10765
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 15 2017 3:38 PM

Many to choose from, David. Judges 2:13 illustrates the issue of transliteration needs for readers 2,000 years later.  

Posts 1659
Allen Browne | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 15 2017 5:18 PM

alabama24:

Allen Browne:
Okay so it shows as a pre-pub with a $7.99 price tag, but I won't actually be charged?

correct

Thanks for confirming you're seeing the same thing.

Posts 450
Leo Wee Fah | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 15 2017 7:30 PM

Does any one has the advance copy of CSB, I would like to see how Psalms 1 is translated.

Thanks.

Posts 7054
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 15 2017 7:43 PM

Leo Wee Fah:

Does any one has the advance copy of CSB, I would like to see how Psalms 1 is translated.

Thanks.

I think it's on pre-order everywhere, so no one has it yet (Unless someone was given a copy for review).

DAL

Posts 450
Leo Wee Fah | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 15 2017 8:15 PM

From http://thislamp.com/posts/2016/11/19/2017-christian-standard-bible-csb-first-look-updated.html

"Earlier this week at the annual meeting of the Evangelical Theological Society in San Antonio, attendees were presented with a free advance copy of the upcoming 2017 Christian Standard Bible (CSB). The edition given out, designated "CSB Large Print UltraThin Reference Bible," is a soft black imitation goatskin leather with two ribbon markers...." 

Posts 185
LogosEmployee
Daniel Motley (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 15 2017 9:37 PM

Allen Browne:

Okay so it shows as a pre-pub with a $7.99 price tag, but I won't actually be charged?

Allen,

That's correct. Even though it shows as $7.99 for you, you will not be charged once we ship the CSB as long you qualify per the steps outlined above.

Thanks for your question!

Product Manager, Faithlife

Posts 7054
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 15 2017 10:16 PM

Leo Wee Fah:

From http://thislamp.com/posts/2016/11/19/2017-christian-standard-bible-csb-first-look-updated.html

"Earlier this week at the annual meeting of the Evangelical Theological Society in San Antonio, attendees were presented with a free advance copy of the upcoming 2017 Christian Standard Bible (CSB). The edition given out, designated "CSB Large Print UltraThin Reference Bible," is a soft black imitation goatskin leather with two ribbon markers...." 

Ah gotcha! That's what you meant by "advanced copy" -- 

Posts 1659
Allen Browne | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 15 2017 11:33 PM

Daniel Motley:

Allen Browne:

Allen,

That's correct. Even though it shows as $7.99 for you, you will not be charged once we ship the CSB as long you qualify per the steps outlined above.

Thanks for your question!

Appreciated.

Posts 809
Cynthia in Florida | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 16 2017 5:49 PM

Like to original poster, HCSB is my go to translation (and NASB for deep study).  The thing is, we don't need another translation that falls in line with the NIV or ESV.  Holman was a unique, beautiful, and easy to read translation.  No other translation I know of is like it.  I'll be sad to see it go, so I'll stock up on some Holman Bibles before they are no longer available, as I have no interest in the CSB since it appears to be a cross between the NIV and the ESV.

Cynthia

Romans 8:28-38

Posts 28230
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 16 2017 6:22 PM

Cynthia in Florida:
I'll be sad to see it go

I am not Southern Baptist, so I haven't been following this very closely. Have they announced the cessation of the HCSB, or just the creation of the CSB? 

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 1578
Kenute P. Curry | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 16 2017 6:52 PM

I agree with you 100% Cynthia in Florida - with everything that you said.

This is my GO TO translation as well, and also for deep study of the Word of God.

Posts 10765
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 16 2017 7:02 PM

Goatskin leather sounded really nice but expensive. So, I checked our used bookstore which has a good size religious section. I was surprised the CSB was already well represented, but no HCBs. The CSBs didn't seem overly worn out.  But I decided goatskin made sense.

Posts 809
Cynthia in Florida | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 17 2017 5:21 AM

alabama24:

Cynthia in Florida:
I'll be sad to see it go

I am not Southern Baptist, so I haven't been following this very closely. Have they announced the cessation of the HCSB, or just the creation of the CSB? 

I read that they will continue production of the HCSB through 2017 as they switch over to the CSB, and then only produce the CSB.  I wish I could find where I read that, but I did read it a few times in various articles.

I'm not Southern Baptist either.  I don't choose a translation based on denomination.  I did read that Lifeway took this on because they wanted their translation to be less associated with Southern Baptist and more universally associated, hence the new translation and the dropping of Holman in the title, since Holman is usually associated with the Baptist denomination.  My concern is that every time I see a "new translation," it becomes more liberal and less literal in its translation in an attempt to be "more inclusive."   

Cynthia

Posts 450
Leo Wee Fah | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 17 2017 5:57 AM

When HCSB first came out, I read some where (but couldn't recall) that they actually wanted to name it as Christian Standard Bible, but could not, because that name was used by someone else. So now finally they managed to publish the Bible as Christian Standard Bible.

Posts 2751
Kevin A. Purcell | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 17 2017 6:44 AM

You can read it online at the CSB site.

Posts 28230
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 17 2017 6:51 AM

Kevin A. Purcell:

Your link is broken, and I can't decipher where it was pointing. 

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 809
Cynthia in Florida | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 17 2017 3:10 PM

alabama24:

Kevin A. Purcell:

Your link is broken, and I can't decipher where it was pointing. 

This link is to the site.

http://csbible.com/

And this link is directly to read it on the site.

http://read.csbible.com/

Cynthia

Posts 809
Cynthia in Florida | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 17 2017 3:15 PM

Leo Wee Fah:

Thanks.

Psalm 1

The Two Ways

1 How happy is the one who does not
walk in the advice of the wicked
or stand in the pathway with sinners
or sit in the company of mockers!
2 Instead, his delight is in the Lord’s instruction,
and he meditates on it day and night.
3 He is like a tree planted beside flowing streams
that bears its fruit in its season
and whose leaf does not wither.
Whatever he does prospers.
4 The wicked are not like this;
instead, they are like chaff that the wind blows away.
5 Therefore the wicked will not stand up in the judgment,
nor sinners in the assembly of the righteous.
6 For the Lord watches over the way of the righteous,
but the way of the wicked leads to ruin.
And this is the HCSB of Psalm 1

Psalm 1

The Two Ways

How happy is the man
who does not follow[a] the advice of the wicked
or take[b] the path of sinners
or join a group[c] of mockers!
Instead, his delight is in the Lord’s instruction,
and he meditates on it day and night.
He is like a tree planted beside streams of water[d]
that bears its fruit in season[e]
and whose leaf does not wither.
Whatever he does prospers.

The wicked are not like this;
instead, they are like chaff that the wind blows away.
Therefore the wicked will not survive[f] the judgment,
and sinners will not be in the community of the righteous.

For the Lord watches over the way of the righteous,
but the way of the wicked leads to ruin.

Cynthia

Page 2 of 7 (127 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS