The Christian Standard Bible (CSB)—Now on Pre-Pub (+ you may qualify for a free copy!)

Page 3 of 7 (127 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
This post has 126 Replies | 6 Followers

Posts 450
Leo Wee Fah | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 17 2017 5:11 PM

Thank you so much for the links and info, Kevin and Cynthia.

Quite an impressive `revision' on HCSB.

Posts 479
Robert Neely | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 17 2017 5:30 PM

fyi

The CSB was created using Optimal Equivalence, a translation philosophy which balances linguistic precision to the original languages and readability in contemporary English.

http://csbible.com/about-the-csb/translation-philosophy/ 

Posts 885
P A | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 18 2017 11:20 AM

So what does the future hold for the HCSB?

Will Holman stop publishing it after the release of the CSB?

P A

Posts 3690
BillS | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 18 2017 11:47 AM

Daniel Motley:
No matter how you purchased it (individual purchase, bundle, collection, base package, etc.), as long as you own this resource and follow the steps above, you qualify.

Thank you for clarifying, & THANK YOU!

Grace & Peace,
Bill

MSI GF63 8RD, I-7 8850H, 32GB RAM, 1TB SSD, 2TB HDD, NVIDIA GTX 1050Max
Samsung S9+, 64GB
Fire 10HD 64GB 7th Gen

Posts 1
Chadwick Whitley | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 18 2017 12:41 PM

The Twitter account for the CSB has suggested that they will keep the HCSB on as many platforms as possible for the foreseeable future. Presumably, this refers only to digital platforms. I doubt they will continue publishing the HCSB in print form after the CSB is released in March.

Posts 499
SteveHD | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 20 2017 6:52 PM

I am surprised that this has not had greater reception. Are there that few who have bought HCSB? It will be free and we get to keep the original.

Posts 809
Cynthia in Florida | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 20 2017 9:26 PM

SteveHD:

I am surprised that this has not had greater reception. Are there that few who have bought HCSB? It will be free and we get to keep the original.

As for my part, I should clarify.  I'm fine with receiving the CSB.  It's free, and for that I'm thankful.  Free is always a nice price.  I am just saying that it won't replace my HCSB.

Cynthia

Romans 8:28-38

Posts 499
SteveHD | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 24 2017 6:43 AM

It is almost there!

Posts 32
Cheryl Sexton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 28 2017 4:24 PM

Does anyone know how long Logos typically keeps things in the "Under Development" stage? Accordance has had the CSB module out for over a week now.

Posts 10780
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 28 2017 4:42 PM

Welcome to the forum, Cheryl!

Development depends on complexity and priority ... from very quickly to literally years.

In this case, I'd suspect they already are well thru development, even though prepub. Already digitized, and likely using Holman formatting coding.

I'd look for a ship Feb or March, but just guessing. Easily wrong.

"I didn't know God made honky tonk angels."

Posts 700
Kiyah | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 30 2017 10:02 AM

David Salazar:

Also sadly slave is out and servant is in.  I get that people have a fixed definition of the word slave.  But I've also found that when I've read the word, people start paying attention more and I'm able to mention how the Bible is using it and people actually gain more from the Word. Bond-servant has always seemed to churchy a word that people bypass it.

Happy to see certain instances of adelphoi transalted as "brothers and sisters" when context warrants it. Also use of Christ instead of Messiah for NT.

not a biggie, but I've always like divine pronouns to be capitalized. 

I agree with you David Salazar on slave (esp. for Phil 2:7; servant diminishes the great extent to which Christ humbled himself) and on adelphoi as "brothers and sisters" based on the context. However, I'm actually glad they stopped capitalizing the pronouns.  Not only is it super annoying, unnecessary, and distracting, there is also some interpretation that goes along with it. There are some instances when it may be unclear or debatable whether a pronoun is actually referring to the deity or not.  When they capitalize the pronoun for me they are making an interpretive decision that I should be making myself through reading in context and doing some exegesis. I might actually add the CSB to my list of frequently consulted translations given these changes.  I've never been a big fan of the HCSB.

Posts 5285
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 30 2017 10:29 AM

I have had the CSB in Accordance for several days now... I appreciate the update as an improvement but it doesn't strike me as something I will use much, nor was the HCSB either. As a free upgrade it's nice, as something to purchase I would not likely  buy it.  I had been impressed with mention of more inclusive language only to be disappointed to find in Matthew 5 sons of God has remained rather than KJV's children of God. Hope it finds a happy audience but I am not who they are aiming at I know.

-Dan

Posts 2839
Michael Childs | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 30 2017 10:46 AM

I have owned the HCSB for quite a while, but the CSB still shows a $ 7.99 price for me.  Why would that be?

"In all cases, the Church is to be judged by the Scripture, not the Scripture by the Church," John Wesley

Posts 28241
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 30 2017 10:56 AM

If you followed the initial post directions, it will show that price but you will not be charged (according to FL). See here: http://community.logos.com/forums/p/134883/876807.aspx#876807 

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 188
LogosEmployee
Daniel Motley (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 30 2017 11:02 AM

Michael Childs:

I have owned the HCSB for quite a while, but the CSB still shows a $ 7.99 price for me.  Why would that be?

Michael,

The price will show as $7.99 for everyone. That is normal. As long as you qualify under the directions in the first post, we will not charge you the $7.99 once it ships--you'll get it for free!

Thanks for your question!

Product Manager, Faithlife

Posts 1659
Allen Browne | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 30 2017 10:40 PM

Daniel Motley:
Michael Childs:

Michael,

The price will show as $7.99 for everyone. That is normal. As long as you qualify under the directions in the first post, we will not charge you the $7.99 once it ships--you'll get it for free!

Thanks for your question!

Daniel, I do think this approach makes it confusing for us to maintain. I don't recall any previous product on my Pre-Pub list where I had to remember, "Well it says this price, but I'm actually going to pay this price."

If that becomes normal for other products too, we'll be expected to keep track of "Well this one was this much, and that one was that much, so the total at the bottom that I've actually signed up for is not $xx but is actually $yy." It's not going to help me sign up for more.

Is it really necessary to take us that direction? Pricing in Logos is already confusing enough. For example, the same NICNT/OT set already has 2 different SKUs so you can offer one of them to me at a discount if I buy a base package, and the discount I receive is about the same as what I can buy the same set for as the other product anyway.That doesn't engender trust that you're being transparent.

So perhaps Faithlife already has a credibility issue with pricing, and this isn't helping. Just FWIW.

Posts 28749
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 30 2017 11:13 PM

IIRC there have been a couple of pre-pub where if x-number of people bid x$ we would all get it for free.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 43
Ben Anderson | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 31 2017 2:49 AM

Thanks to Daniel for clarifying about ownership of the HCSB. I never purchased it individually but it has been in my library for years (decades?). So I am going to assume that it qualifies for the free CSB.

Ben

Posts 28241
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 31 2017 4:11 AM

Ben Anderson:
I never purchased it individually but it has been in my library for years (decades?). So I am going to assume that it qualifies for the free CSB.

Yes. That was clarified in one of the follow up posts. 

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 2839
Michael Childs | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 31 2017 11:52 AM

Thanks for the clarification.  I don't is a very good way to do this, but that is how we will do it. 

Has Faithlife hired some folks from United Methodist headquarters or perhaps some of the recently replaced government bureaucracy?

"In all cases, the Church is to be judged by the Scripture, not the Scripture by the Church," John Wesley

Page 3 of 7 (127 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS