Another extended full feature set, really?

Page 1 of 5 (96 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next >
This post has 95 Replies | 8 Followers

Posts 6152
DAL | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Jan 28 2017 7:30 AM

OK I understand Logos is trying to make a buck to sponsor other side projects but another feature set that requires me to dish out another $104.96, come on, really? What exactly is this going to do or add to what I already have in the L7 Full Feature set that I bought when Logos 7 first came out or add to the Logos Now subscription? I think greed is the word that comes to mind here, but hey, that's just my opinion. Why use the term "full feature set" and then come out with an "extended feature set"? doesn't the term "full feature" implies that we already have everything we need? If so, then they should've named the first feature set as L7 partial feature set and a side note that states that the extended feature can be purchased at a later time when ready and that if they feel like adding more stuff they would continue charging for them. Very disappointing! DAL

ps: https://www.logos.com/product/136012/logos-7-extended-feature-set 

Posts 27248
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 28 2017 7:49 AM

Did you compare to see what is added?

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 499
SteveHD | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 28 2017 8:18 AM

I think this compares them and I like what I see. https://www.logos.com/compare/feature-sets Thanks for pointing this out. Very small sample of new to me items. To be fair I have not bought a feature set yet so maybe I am seeing more new stuff in the extended set table than you are.

The Lexham Discourse Hebrew Bible Dataset
The Lexham Discourse Greek New Testament Dataset 
T&T Clark Studies in Biblical Theology and Theological Interpretation (4 vols.)

Posts 353
Virgil Buttram | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 28 2017 8:23 AM

SteveHD:

I think this compares them and I like what I see. https://www.logos.com/compare/feature-sets Thanks for pointing this out. Very small sample of new to me items. To be fair I have not bought a feature set yet so maybe I am seeing more new stuff in the extended set table than you are.

The Lexham Discourse Hebrew Bible Dataset
The Lexham Discourse Greek New Testament Dataset 
T&T Clark Studies in Biblical Theology and Theological Interpretation (4 vols.)

Agreed. The inclusion of the Lexham Discourse Bible makes that an attractive product, depending on your dynamic pricing for it.

Posts 3107
Forum MVP
PetahChristian | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 28 2017 8:25 AM

I was initially confused because it appears that the feature set includes books, as well as features and tools, but I think that many of the features/tools can take advantage of those specific books and return additional results.

I think it's clever packaging on FL's part to produce a set of resources that can complement the tools. It really simplifies purchases for someone who may not want to buy an L7 library, but still take full advantage of everything that the new features and tools can offer.

Posts 9953
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 28 2017 8:35 AM

Retail value of 'new to me' was $2100 ... I added up, and $700-ish. Not even close. And a price tag of $160 for Easton, Holman starter volumes, some high definition this and that, plus Bible browser. I think Bible Browser, maybe not ... the compare page includes it, the buy page doesn't. 

I sure don't want to run the refund gauntlet to find out.  Pass.

BTW, the old greek versions ... Westcott, Shrivener, etc that now have '2.0' show 'new to me' even though I have them. The '2.0' remains a mystery for which I don't propose to pay.

Posts 928
Matthew | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 28 2017 8:43 AM

My price is $158.11 after having already purchased both the Logos 7 and Verbum 7 full feature sets. I am pleased to see Faithlife reversed course and is making the Bible Browser tool something that can be purchased. I am also glad to see the Lexham Hebrew Bible Dataset included. I am still trying to figure out what makes the Textus Receptus 2.0 special, and apparently others are as well.

http://community.logos.com/forums/t/135152.aspx

So far it appears to lack any preface/introduction and is not morphologically tagged. Looks like Westcott-Hort Greek New Testament would also be a duplicate for me with no clear advantage over the version I already own. I feel like there should be a discount on this for people who already bought a Logos 7 base package, even if it was more than 30 days ago, since this was not available at the time. Also agree that the "full feature set" is now a misleading name.

Posts 3107
Forum MVP
PetahChristian | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 28 2017 8:46 AM

Denise:
Retail value of 'new to me' was $2100 ... I added up, and $700-ish. Not even close

That's an unfortunate issue with collections in a collection pricing.

Looking through the list of new-to-me books, I spotted A Grammar of Biblical Hebrew: Revised English Edition, which regularly is $75.

Posts 928
Matthew | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 28 2017 8:47 AM

I am not seeing any additional discount either to this or to base packages when adding both to my cart at the same time. Is this the expected behavior?

Posts 6152
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 28 2017 9:01 AM

alabama24:

Did you compare to see what is added?

The only thing worthwhile  could be the data sets for the discourse resources.  

There needs to be some sort of clarification as to the slide pack on the Romans HD commentary; somebody already asked the question if we already own the commentary don't we automatically own the slides since they are included in the commentary?  If so then why  are we being charged for them?

Also, it seems I own the Scrivener Textus Receptus 1881 (three different ones) and  the Westcott-Hort 1881 and another version of it and it shows I'm being charged for them too, unless they're some "new super version" of them that I don't know about.

The other stuff are old 17 and 18 century collections that don't even have everything in the collection "Only some resource" crap deal. FL needs to stop this BS of "only some resources are included."

DAL

Posts 6152
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 28 2017 9:06 AM

Denise:

Retail value of 'new to me' was $2100 ... I added up, and $700-ish. Not even close. And a price tag of $160 for Easton, Holman starter volumes, some high definition this and that, plus Bible browser. I think Bible Browser, maybe not ... the compare page includes it, the buy page doesn't. 

I sure don't want to run the refund gauntlet to find out.  Pass.

BTW, the old greek versions ... Westcott, Shrivener, etc that now have '2.0' show 'new to me' even though I have them. The '2.0' remains a mystery for which I don't propose to pay.

EXACTLY! 2.0 my behind and I know about it, but this nonsense we don't know anything about it!

😁😂😬

Posts 928
Matthew | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 28 2017 9:08 AM

Sorry for the multiple posts in rapid succession, but what is the difference between The Canons and Decrees of the Council of Trent and The Canons and Decrees of the Council of Trent (Text Only)? Both are included in this, and I can't tell from the product page what the difference is. Thanks. 

Posts 928
Matthew | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 28 2017 9:14 AM

DAL:
the Westcott-Hort 1881 and another version of it and it shows I'm being charged for them too, unless they're some "new super version" of them that I don't know about.

The free preview does not show that there is any kind of preface or introduction, so if there are any changes, it would have to be behind the scenes. Maybe Faithlife will comment. It seems there are many unanswered questions about this feature set...

Posts 325
Steve Farson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 28 2017 9:15 AM

I can buy the extended set for $195 but it appears I already have the extended set.  I have the "unowned" items in my library.

Posts 3107
Forum MVP
PetahChristian | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 28 2017 9:17 AM

Steve Farson:

I can buy the extended set for $195 but it appears I already have the extended set.  I have the "unowned" items in my library.

If you have a Logos Now membership, you have temporary licenses for the items, which would disappear when your subscription ended.

Purchasing any feature set would convert the relevant temporary licenses to permanent licenses.

Posts 3107
Forum MVP
PetahChristian | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 28 2017 11:22 AM

Heads up that the discount on this set has increased. If you were on the fence, you may find that it is a much better deal now.

If FL hadn't put this package together, I'd still have several resources on my wish list that I wouldn't own now. Thanks, FL!

Posts 58
WR82 | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 28 2017 11:34 AM

Petah,

When was the additional discount added?  Was it only for Logos Now subscribers? (I purchased this early this morning for the Bible Browser tool, discourse analysis resource sets, and HD commentaries.) If there was an additional discount added after I purchased it, I'd like to know. Thanks!

Posts 3107
Forum MVP
PetahChristian | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 28 2017 11:49 AM

I'd guess it was changed within the last hour or so. It is an additional savings for Logos Now members. I don't know if the correction would have also affected the price for non-members.

With the improved discount, I saved an additional $80. If you're not an LN member, the $99 membership cost minus your additional savings on this feature set might reduce your membership cost to under $20 for one year. That's a great deal, considering all the benefits that come with membership!

If you're interested, a sales rep could work out the pricing both ways, and let you know your exact savings.

Posts 118
Scot Wright | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 28 2017 12:17 PM

I have been a Logos User since 1992 and speaking for myself I have never been more confused about pricing and product. It just isn't clear to me what I'm getting and what the value is. I'm slow on the uptake anyways but I'm getting lost in all this. What does 2.0 mean anyway? Where do find out what that means? Like Denise, I'm very hesitant to purchase or be interested in items that seem to not make any sense. 

Posts 4829
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 28 2017 12:47 PM

I think a new level feature set is a good thing.  Its a good business decision. There are ways FL does things I don't like and I am upfront and honest about them, but I am honest because I want them to remain in business so I want them to become more customer centric in the way they do things.  And I will point out where I believe they are getting it right,  This is one of those decisions I think they have got right despite the potential confusion over naming - maybe Starter and Extended Feature sets could be rename as follows:

Starter Scarcity Feature Set

Full Feature Set 

Extended  Abundance Feature Set 

When I look at my dynamic pricing, the Extended Feature Set is certainly not a cash grab, it just comes down to what you already own in your resources (books + features) you already own. For me that means I'm getting more (ownership) for less if I decide to purchase now.

Page 1 of 5 (96 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > | RSS