Another extended full feature set, really?

Page 3 of 5 (96 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next >
This post has 95 Replies | 8 Followers

Posts 933
Matthew | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 29 2017 8:12 PM

Ted Weis:
So if this non-Now-not-a-subscriber upgrades to Silver 7 or Platinum 7, what "full feature" data set do I get? A "regular" set, "full" set, or "extended" set?

That depends entirely on how much you want to pay. You can put Silver in your cart along with any level feature set (or none at all). The website might add the "full" feature set by default, but you can manually add the "extended" set to your cart to replace it if you want.

Posts 503
Sarel Slabbert | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 29 2017 8:25 PM

mab:

I think the discourse datasets are the real pulls. I have most everything else. I've been trying to get through the month mostly without purchasing anything. My resistance is slipping Geeked

I already own the discourse datasets. The only feature I would have liked is the Bible Browser, but not at $108.

Posts 5004
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 29 2017 10:43 PM

A small clarification on the advice given below:

When you add a base package to your cart it will depend upon which base package you choose. If you choose a starter base package you will only get the starter feature set. For most base packages though it will default to adding the Full Feature Set. No base package currently adds the Extended Feature Set. But at checkout you are free to swap out the Full Feature set for either the Starter or Extended feature set - you can mix and match as you please or purchase no feature set if you wanted to choose to do so.

PetahChristian:

Ted Weis:

So if this non-Now-not-a-subscriber upgrades to Silver 7 or Platinum 7, what "full feature" data set do I get? A "regular" set, "full" set, or "extended" set?

I am thoroughly confused...

You get the Full Feature Set as part of those base packages. You can confirm that by putting any of those base packages in your cart. You'd see the library as one cart item, and the full feature set as the second cart item.

The Extended Feature Set is not a part of any base package.

Posts 933
Matthew | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 29 2017 11:15 PM

Sarel Slabbert:
The only feature I would have liked is the Bible Browser, but not at $108.

That is kind of where I am. I can spend just over $150 for the extended feature set by itself or just over $110 if bundled with a $90 base package. Frankly, I think the Bible Browser Tool should be included in the full feature set. I think what Faithlife has done here not only makes them look bad but also sets a precedent and that I don't really want to support/encourage.

Posts 650
Kiyah | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 30 2017 5:11 AM

There are not that many actual features in the "extended" "feature" set. Just the bible browser and the discourse data sets.  Even with my student discount it's still $150 for me. Thanks but... nah.

Posts 2062
Forum MVP
Randy W. Sims | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 30 2017 6:01 AM

Kiyah:
There are not that many actual features in the "extended" "feature" set.

I think that's the point. The extended feature set is meant to add resources to the features in order to populate all of Logos guides and tools. The added features are a bonus. Logos 6 did the same thing (Core cross-grade, full feature cross-grade, extended cross-grade) with the same organization and the same goals. This isn't something new. That they threw in a new feature is just a bonus incentive. The Bible Browser is part of Logos Now for version 7. Without this release it would not have trickled down to pay-to-own until possibly version 8. It's a good thing to see Now features trickling down to pay-to-own, and necessary. Whether the resources are worth purchasing in this optional extended upgrade are worth the price is up to each individual, but I don't personally see anything objectionable about it.

Posts 259
scooter | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 30 2017 6:10 AM

Randy W. Sims:
I think that's the point. The extended feature set is meant to add resources to the features in order to populate all of Logos guides and tools. The added features are a bonus. Logos 6 did the same thing (Core cross-grade, full feature cross-grade, extended cross-grade) with the same organization and the same goals. This isn't something new. That they threw in a new feature is just a bonus incentive. The Bible Browser is part of Logos Now for version 7. Without this release it would not have trickled down to pay-to-own until possibly version 8. It's a good thing to see Now features trickling down to pay-to-own, and necessary. Whether the resources are worth purchasing in this optional extended upgrade are worth the price is up to each individual, but I don't personally see anything objectionable about it.

I appreciate your nuanced, well-thought-out observations here.  Thanks for taking the time to share them.

Posts 353
Virgil Buttram | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 30 2017 6:19 AM

Randy W. Sims:

Kiyah:

Well said.

Posts 933
Matthew | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 30 2017 7:06 AM

Randy W. Sims:
I don't personally see anything objectionable about it.

The objection is not that it is being made available to purchase. The objection is that Faithlife sold customers a "full feature set" that was advertised to contain "every feature of Logos 7" and is now essentially saying customers have to pay over $100 more to obtain the very thing they were told they had already bought - "every feature of Logos 7." Also, many people subscribed to Logos Now because they had been told that was the only way to access certain features. If I had paid money to rent something I would lose after a year because I was told I could not buy it, and then almost immediately afterward I found out I could have put that money toward buying it anyway, I would have some questions. 

Posts 666
James McAdams | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 30 2017 7:22 AM

Matthew:

Randy W. Sims:
I don't personally see anything objectionable about it.

The objection is not that it is being made available to purchase. The objection is that Faithlife sold customers a "full feature set" that was advertised to contain "every feature of Logos 7" and is now essentially saying customers have to pay over $100 more to obtain the very thing they were told they had already bought - "every feature of Logos 7." Also, many people subscribed to Logos Now because they had been told that was the only way to access certain features. If I had paid money to rent something I would lose after a year because I was told I could not buy it, and then almost immediately afterward I found out I could have put that money toward buying it anyway, I would have some questions. 

At the outset, these were Logos Now features rather than Logos 7 features, so the blurb was accurate when it was written. If they stood by that decision and restricted these features to subscribers, then this criticism is unmerited, but then Faithlife gets complaints from people who (for various reasons) can't justify taking out a subscription. I think the wording should be changed (if it hasn't changed already - I've not looked), but I think it's a positive move to make these features available to more people, and I certainly don't object to them charging for their efforts.

Posts 10177
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 30 2017 7:58 AM

Well, I have the discourse group. My personal view is its faked (inapplicable) for the OT (even the LXX used very little). And the NT, only for the most educated ... ie a Galatian (certainly Cretans!) would miss most of it. So.  I also wonder why it's being footballed so much.

The Bible browser, I suspect, is a come-on ... you buy the BB so far ... new parts of BB are in future Now. 

But on a warm Arizona morning in January, just guessing.

Posts 933
Matthew | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 30 2017 8:01 AM

James McAdams:
I think it's a positive move to make these features available to more people, and I certainly don't object to them charging for their efforts.

No objection to either statement, but if it is a feature, it belongs in the full feature set. If it raises the price a small amount, that would be more acceptable to me. What Faithlife has done instead is taken a feature that ironically shows a price tag of $0.00 and made it where customers have to pay over  $100 to access AFTER already buying the "full feature set." That is a very slippery slope. If they release another feature, will it be bundled with other resources and cost an additional $100+ to obtain? The bottom line is it is a free market and Faithlife is free to do what they want. I am grateful Faithlife allows this platform for feedback, even when that feedback is not complementary. I wish them ongoing success as a company, and if others buying the extended feature set helps Faithlife stay in business, their win is my win. I have voiced my concerns and will have to leave it at that.

Posts 650
Kiyah | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 30 2017 8:18 AM

Randy W. Sims:

Kiyah:

I don't think there is anything objectional at all about them selling an extended feature set.  I was just stating that it wasn't a good value for me personally, I know some other people have been able to pick it up for much cheaper.  I do think it would have been better and less annoying for them to offer customers all of the feature sets up front so that they could compare and put together a combination that worked best for them to get the best value.  For example, I would have liked to compare the price for Bronze plus the full feature set (which is what I purchased) with the Bronze plus extended feature set to see what the best bundled value would be.  Especially since I get a 30% first purchase discount (which I greatly appreciated) versus the 20% discount for subsequent purchases.  Bronze plus the extended feature set at a 30% discount might have been the best value for me.  But I'm not upset about it, none of us are forced to buy anything at all, and Logos is not obligated to release all of their products at the same time (as long as they’re not engaging in misleading advertising, which some people on this thread think is the case).  I decided at the time I upgraded that Logos 7 Bronze was a good value (which it was).

Sidebar: I really don’t know how anyone can afford any of this stuff without some kind of discount.  If you are a student (like me) or you have a job in which you really need a tool this powerful, you most likely can’t afford it.  If you have a job that pays you enough to afford it (which I used to have) you probably don’t really need it. Lol Wink Smile

Posts 2078
LogosEmployee
Andrew Batishko (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 30 2017 11:04 AM

BKMitchell:

After reading the above

I discovered three red x's on my about page and yet I own a feature set. Sad

Can you please attach a screenshot of your about page and your log file? I'm not actually sure how it's possible to get a red x for the application, so it sounds like there is some kind of bug.

Posts 1397
Rick Ausdahl | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 30 2017 8:36 PM

When Logos 7 first came out, I bought the Full Feature Set and several packages.  At the time, there were some threads with posts by Logos employees (and even one thread started by a Logos employee) that indicated the Bible Browser was a part of Logos 7.  It was not until later that this confusion was cleared up--i.e. that in fact, the Bible Browser was only available in Logos 7 "if" you had a Logos Now membership.  That was a big disappointment to me because the browser was one of my main interests.

I'm glad to see it now being offered apart from Logos Now via the Extended Feature Set, but my price for the set is a bit over $170.  There's very little in the way of resources in the extended feature set that I'm interested in, and I'm certainly not in the mood or mindset to put out yet an additional $170 and change on top of the cost of all my original L7 purchases of the Full Feature Set and numerous packages, just to get the Bible Browser.  Rather disappointed in the whole browser situation, but such is life I guess.  Glad though for those who see enough value in the other resources in the extended feature set to make the purchase worth while and get the browser to boot.

Posts 503
Sarel Slabbert | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 30 2017 10:10 PM

Since the Bible Browser is, in my opinion, the only real feature added by the extended feature set that was not available to purchase before, please allow us who bought the full feature set to buy only this feature to "complete" our current full feature set. That would be great.

Posts 2310
Jan Krohn | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 30 2017 11:21 PM

Sarel Slabbert:

Since the Bible Browser is, in my opinion, the only real feature added by the extended feature set that was not available to purchase before, please allow us who bought the full feature set to buy only this feature to "complete" our current full feature set. That would be great.

That would be awesome, especially at the quoted price! Stick out tongue

Past IT Consultant. Past Mission Worker. Entrepreneur. Future Seminary Student.
Why Amazon sucks: Full background story of my legal dispute with the online giant

Posts 503
Sarel Slabbert | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 30 2017 11:42 PM

Jan Krohn:

Sarel Slabbert:

CakeBig SmileSmile That would be perfect

Posts 2249
mab | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 31 2017 2:41 PM

I've had to settle for building my library more incrementally lately, and I did not want to miss out on this, so I put it my cart today. It was $94 and change. Than I added a base package, in my case Gold, as it was the next level up. My eyes nearly popped out of my head to start doing a happy dance. Big Smile

Thank you Faithlife!

The mind of man is the mill of God, not to grind chaff, but wheat. Thomas Manton | Study hard, for the well is deep, and our brains are shallow. Richard Baxter

Posts 2718
Kevin A. Purcell | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 1 2017 8:42 AM

Sarel Slabbert:

Jan Krohn:

Sarel Slabbert:

CakeBig SmileSmile That would be perfect

Alas it's like cable tv. You got take the shopping channels if you want ESPN.

Page 3 of 5 (96 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > | RSS