4.0b indexing and downloading 214.9 mb at every start

Page 1 of 3 (43 items) 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 42 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 301
Jerry Smith | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Mar 16 2010 7:09 AM

Every time I start the update, 4.0b, it does a "short" indexing and then downloads 214.9 mb, then starts. Any suggestions, thougths, recommendations?

Thanks, Jerry

Posts 726
Chris Elford | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 16 2010 7:25 AM

Jerry,

It would be helpful if you uploaded your logs. Follow the instructions at: http://wiki.logos.com/Diagnostic_Logging and http://wiki.logos.com/Uploading_Logs.

Posts 301

Here's the logs . . .

Thanks again, Jerry

Posts 301
Jerry Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 16 2010 7:33 AM

One more piece of info . . . I HAVE NOT imported anything as yet, didn't want to start that process until 4.0b was loading/starting smoothly.

Jerry

Posts 301
Jerry Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 16 2010 7:49 AM

Another piece of info, if it helps . . . FWIW, I looked at the log and noticed the "re-attempting" to download "90 resources," all the early editions of the journal, Bibliotheca Sacra. I opened the Library and opened Bibsac 1 and 89 just to see if there are present and readable. All looks fine as far as the resource present.

Hope this helps, Jerry

Posts 2024
Kenneth Neighoff | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 16 2010 8:26 AM

I also have this issue. It is related to the Bib Sac 1-90 journals.  When Logos did a big journal update, they pulled these from the servers, until they could verify that they were correct. So on one computer it does this update, but on my desktop these journals are not found in the library and the library book count shows a difference of 90 between the two computers.

On the computer that has the journals, they are readable and accessable. For me it is just a minor problem, until Logos gets this corrected on the servers.

Posts 301
Jerry Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 16 2010 8:38 AM

Thanks, Kenneth . . . may be misery loves company! "In a way," it's good to know it's something not totally wiggy!

I slipped over to my laptop and opened L4.0b, and it goes through the same indexing and same downloading. I also opened the Library and opened Bibsac Vol 5 and 8, both are present and readable. I confess I don't know if that helps, but they do seem to be present it the Library. As noted, I'm hesitant to do the long awaited importing of notes and favorites, the main things which have been holding me back from using L4 for my main work.

Maybe someone will pick up on this and have that quick and dirty answer!

Thanks again,

Jerry

Posts 2024
Kenneth Neighoff | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 16 2010 8:49 AM

Jerry,

i did the imports, notes, highlights and favorites. Did not have any problems at all. I use Logos 4 all the time.

Posts 13407
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 16 2010 8:53 AM

This is a known issue with the theological journal libraries. Somewhere, I think there's a post with a solution, but I couldn't find it. I think it's caused when you've used the scan command to get resources in from Logos 3. Would that apply to both of you?

Posts 301
Jerry Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 16 2010 8:53 AM

May work up courage here. Any thoughts on deleting the Library index file and letting the whole system re-index? I'm definitely into speculation here and certainly don't want to "mess things up" for future use . . .

Jerry

Posts 301
Jerry Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 16 2010 8:57 AM

Sorry for the memory failure, but, I "think" I did the scan thing . . . I've been using Logos since it started and all the journals as they've become available have been added, so, they were certainly part of the L3 Library with I upgraded to L4 . . . if that helps.

As noted, any thoughts on re-indexing the whole thing? Would that help?

And, as noted, the Bibsac Volumes 1-90 all show and open on both my desktop and laptop.

Jerry

Posts 13407
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 16 2010 8:59 AM

It's not an indexing problem, it's a downloading problem. Here's what I suggested to another user with the same problem a few weeks ago:

Let me make a guess (it is a guess, please correct me if necessary):

• You've run the command scan d:\logos\books
  • You've also run the command update now or update resources (or perhaps Logos has just done this automatically)
  • You've exited Logos

Now, when you load Logos, the following happens:

• All your journal resources are downloaded
  • Then all your journal resources are copied from d:\logos\books
  • Then you restart Logos

The problem is that d:\logos\books are OLDER files, so when you restart, Logos checks for update and re-downloads all the TLJ files again. But then on restart they're all copied from d:\logos\books again, and you're in the loop.

The solution to this (I think):

• Close Logos if it's open.
  • Move the Libronix 3 resources folder to somewhere where Logos 4 won't find it (temporarily at least).
  • Do a search for files called identified.db and discovered.db in C:\Documents and Settings\User\Local Settings\Application Data\Logos4 - delete all those files
  • Restart Logos
  • After Logos has done it's thing, and downloaded/re-indexed everything it wants to, put your Libronix 3 resources folder back.
Posts 5615
Todd Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 16 2010 9:00 AM

Jerry Smith:

Here's the logs . . .

Thanks again, Jerry

The only error I see in the posted log files is:

Warn    DownloadJob    BITS error 0x80190193 (context: RemoteFile): HTTP status 403: The client does not have sufficient access rights to the requested server object.

It has this error for each file it's trying to download, so it never finishes the download.

Which sounds like either a BITS service problem in Windows or a problem on Logos' side.

I think Logos will have to see this and respond with a solution.

EDIT: I see this has been discussed.  Sorry if I'm repeating stuff.  Let's hope Logos gets those journals fixed on their servers.

Wiki Links: Enabling Logging / Detailed Search Help - MacBook Pro (2014), ThinkPad E570

Posts 2024
Kenneth Neighoff | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 16 2010 9:25 AM

Mark,

I remember the old threads, but cannot find them.

I remember that you responded to me about the differences in file names and Bradley G. put on an announcement about the journal updates.  In those earlier posts, the problem I had downloading TJL 12 and Bib Sac 1-90. I remember that Bradley said, the updates where on the server, but then posted again about pulling the first 90 journals until they checked whether they would have the upper or lower case in the file name.

Now to your questions: on the computer that I installed the journals on, I installed them into L3 and synced licenses with the server. Then used the Scan command to get them into L4. Then I had the issue of short index and then download. When Bradley got the TJL 12 on the server that fixed part of the problem.  A

After that download, I went to my desktop and did the update now command. THe desktop does not have L3 on it. The TJL12 installed but not the bidSac 1-90.  That creates the Library book count number difference between the two computers.

So later today, when I have more time, I will look into what you suggested and post back.

Posts 301

Mark,

Renamed the L3 "Resources" folder. Searched for "identified.db" and found several, deleted all. Searched for "discovered.db" found none.

Restarted L4, same brief indexing and small download process.

Re-searced for "identified.db" and found none. Searched for "discovered.db" found none.

Restarted L4 with logging, which is attached.

May be time to stay with L3 "just a little longer" . . .

Much thanks, Jerry

Posts 4077
Melissa Snyder | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 16 2010 9:38 AM

See this post from Bradley on cause and fix for problems with Galaxie resources: http://community.logos.com/forums/t/11911.aspx. He adds a link to Dave's bug report on wiki, which includes several links to other forum threads which may contain the solution you need.

Posts 301
Jerry Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 16 2010 10:15 AM

Melissa . . . thanks for the links. I read and didn't quite sort out all of what I need to do. May need more "light" for my dim understanding!

Jerry

Posts 4077
Melissa Snyder | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 16 2010 11:30 AM

Jerry Smith:

Melissa . . . thanks for the links. I read and didn't quite sort out all of what I need to do. May need more "light" for my dim understanding!

Jerry

They may not apply if the problem is with permissions, which the BITS error indicates. Has anything changed since your last successful download? Is the BITS service started?  To check, right-click on Computer and choose Manage. In the Computer Management window, click on Services under Services and Applications on the left side of window. Look for 'Background Intelligent Transfer Service'. What is its status?

Posts 301
Jerry Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 16 2010 11:44 AM

Melissa,

I'm rebuilding the index at present . . . Services shows:

BITS - Started - Automatic (Delayed Start)

Jerry

Posts 2024
Kenneth Neighoff | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 16 2010 11:54 AM

Melissa Snyder:

Jerry Smith:

Jerry

They may not apply if the problem is with permissions, which the BITS error indicates. Has anything changed since your last successful download? Is the BITS service started?  To check, right-click on Computer and choose Manage. In the Computer Management window, click on Services under Services and Applications on the left side of window. Look for 'Background Intelligent Transfer Service'. What is its status?

Melissa,

thanks for this. I did check and it indicates automatic and started for the status.

My question is: have the Bib Sac 1-90 been placed back on the server to be downloaded?

The reason that I ask this is: on my laptop I show _____ for number of books in library on my desktop that count is 90 less than the laptop number. So that leads me to believe that they are not there.

EBC downloaded just fine. On the laptop is showed 250 mb download while on the desktop 50 mb download. The difference being this 214 mb download of the journals.

Page 1 of 3 (43 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS