Problem with resource for Logos 7 Basic

Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
This post has 12 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 121
DBR | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Feb 8 2017 12:37 AM

This morning I had an email about the free Logos 7 basic that is now available. It looks like it just some new, free resources so I picked it up. I have now ordered it twice, and it still says I am missing A Pocket Lexicon to the Greek New Testament. The Logos 7 Basic page says it is the only product I don't own and will let me purchase it again which I have already done. Is anyone else experiencing this problem? I imagine it is just a bug for the initial roll out, but I figured I would report it so it can get fixed.

Posts 121
DBR | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 8 2017 12:50 AM

And I have now purchased Verbum Basic for the second time, except it doesn't show that any of the resources have been added to my library on the website. However, when I went to download new resources into Logos, those resources were added to my library. Interesting.

Posts 3630
Forum MVP
PetahChristian | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 8 2017 12:58 AM

It is a bug that needs to be fixed, and I've seen the same behavior. They just need to disable the buy button once the initial order is placed.

Fl is not giving that resource to us for free, they're merely giving us a temporary license to it, so it will continue to show up as new-to-you since we don't permanently own it. If you look in your library, it will be there.

If you wanted to own that resource, you'd have to buy it, or a bundle it is sold in.

FYI, the website shows the same behavior if you are a Logos Now member, as those subscribed items are also temporary, and will continue to show up as new-to-you (unless you also bought the feature set, which would then give you permanent access to them).

My top three Logos 9 Wishlist items: Carta, Dark mode, and Hebrew audio bible, please.

Posts 2558
Jan Krohn | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 8 2017 1:00 AM

I didn't get the email (which is good, since I already own a L7 base package. On the other hand it's bad, since we won't receive another voucher for email markting mess up :-)

Anyway, I suspect the following passage from the product description to be the root cause:

*The features, datasets, and books provided in Logos 7 Basic are “access-only”, which means you have access to them, but do not own them permanently.

Past IT Consultant. Past Mission Worker. Entrepreneur. Future Seminary Student.
Why Amazon sucks: Full background story of my legal dispute with the online giant

Posts 121
DBR | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 8 2017 2:00 AM

I see the note about access only on the Logos Basic page, but not on the Verbum Basic page. I am looking to see what downloads, but my internet is so terrible it is taking forever.

Posts 666
James McAdams | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 8 2017 3:25 AM

Well, that's confusing. Are the non-permanent features going to get deleted eventually, then? I just recommended this to a bunch of friends on Facebook, but I wouldn't have done if I'd thought that it only provided temporary access. It'd be really helpful to get clarification on what's actually included and what's just temporary, as I could end up looking like a total idiot.

Posts 22736
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 8 2017 3:51 AM

James McAdams:
It'd be really helpful to get clarification on what's actually included and what's just temporary, as I could end up looking like a total idiot.

I haven't seen any announcement from Faithlife about this - though I could have missed it.

Hopefully if they do make a statement regarding this it will clarify some of the questions.

Posts 3630
Forum MVP
PetahChristian | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 8 2017 5:31 AM

Chris mentioned that an announcement will be made when the products officially launch.

My top three Logos 9 Wishlist items: Carta, Dark mode, and Hebrew audio bible, please.

Posts 2766
Erwin Stull, Sr. | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 8 2017 7:32 AM

David Ruley:

This morning I had an email about the free Logos 7 basic that is now available. It looks like it just some new, free resources so I picked it up. I have now ordered it twice, and it still says I am missing A Pocket Lexicon to the Greek New Testament. The Logos 7 Basic page says it is the only product I don't own and will let me purchase it again which I have already done. Is anyone else experiencing this problem? I imagine it is just a bug for the initial roll out, but I figured I would report it so it can get fixed.

I received the Pocket Lexicon, but it is with a temporary license. Since the package is not officially released, I'll wait it out and see what happens.

When these things aren't officially released, you can expect anomalies to occur.

Posts 3630
Forum MVP
PetahChristian | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 8 2017 10:26 AM

Erwin Stull, Sr.:
I received the Pocket Lexicon, but it is with a temporary license.

The temporary license is correct.

The basic bundles aren't giving away any resources, datasets, or features for free. They're providing access to a limited set of resources and features the new user won't own, to let them try out some parts of Logos for free.

If that new customer decides they want to buy Logos, they could buy a Starter or Bronze base package, paying for each of those temporary features, resources, and datasets, to convert them to permanent licenses. The customer would obviously then own those resources.

This is no different than the mobile apps. If you did not own any resources or features, you'd get access (but not ownership) to a select number of books, etc. You'd have to buy a base package to get permanent licenses.

FYI, the Pocket Lexicon is an odd duck, since it isn't bundled with any L7 library, so that resource would continue to be "temporary," but I suspect FL chose an inexpensive lexicon to not exceed a certain value price point, instead of bundling something much better that you'd find in a paid L7 tier.

It probably would have been more convenient to make Basic a complete subset of Starter, so that anyone who owned a standard tier would have owned everything in Basic already, making the product unpurchasable for the majority of users.

Posts 2766
Erwin Stull, Sr. | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 8 2017 12:42 PM

PetahChristian:

Erwin Stull, Sr.:
I received the Pocket Lexicon, but it is with a temporary license.

The temporary license is correct.

The basic bundles aren't giving away any resources, datasets, or features for free. They're providing access to a limited set of resources and features the new user won't own, to let them try out some parts of Logos for free.

If that new customer decides they want to buy Logos, they could buy a Starter or Bronze base package, paying for each of those temporary features, resources, and datasets, to convert them to permanent licenses. The customer would obviously then own those resources.

This is no different than the mobile apps. If you did not own any resources or features, you'd get access (but not ownership) to a select number of books, etc. You'd have to buy a base package to get permanent licenses.

FYI, the Pocket Lexicon is an odd duck, since it isn't bundled with any L7 library, so that resource would continue to be "temporary," but I suspect FL chose an inexpensive lexicon to not exceed a certain value price point, instead of bundling something much better that you'd find in a paid L7 tier.

It probably would have been more convenient to make Basic a complete subset of Starter, so that anyone who owned a standard tier would have owned everything in Basic already, making the product unpurchasable for the majority of users.

Thanks.

It's interesting that Faithlife chose to create a Basic package for free (not a trial) with temporary resources. Seems as though, they would either attach a small cost to the package or truly just offer it and it's resources for free. In any event, the package should be with permanent resources.

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 8 2017 3:00 PM

Erwin Stull, Sr.:
It's interesting that Faithlife chose to create a Basic package for free (not a trial) with temporary resources.

Thankful for two Basic packages => Basic and => Verbum Basic that enables a number of features, which could be followed by purchase(s) and/or rental(s). Access-only resources with temporary license has no effect on dynamic pricing for future purchase(s).

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 25660
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 8 2017 10:37 PM

Erwin Stull, Sr.:
Seems as though, they would either attach a small cost to the package or truly just offer it and it's resources for free. In any event, the package should be with permanent resources.

They are effectively permanent but won't attract a discount when you go to purchase a package or feature set that has them. It also satisfies the desire for a free version of the software.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS