PRE-PUB in Danger--fortress studies on passages in the gospels

Page 1 of 3 (57 items) 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 56 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 5248
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Feb 17 2017 3:08 PM | Locked

https://www.logos.com/product/52352/fortress-studies-on-passages-in-the-gospels

I am not going to give an impassioned speech just an economics one:

These three books on Amazon Kindle will run you $75.74, Logos prepub price is $43.99..... This is a bargin I would hate to see go as I do not know when or if we ever would get a chance to own them in FL format if this goes bye bye next month.

-Dab

Posts 532
Glenn Crouch | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 17 2017 4:59 PM | Locked

You convinced me, Dan - order placed Yes

Pastor Glenn Crouch
St Paul's Lutheran Church
Kalgoorlie-Boulder, Western Australia

Posts 917
David Carter | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 17 2017 8:51 PM | Locked

Glenn Crouch:

You convinced me, Dan - order placed Yes

Ditto Yes

Posts 322
Vincent Chia | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 18 2017 12:03 AM | Locked

Dan, I just placed the pre-order. Hope it goes through.

Director

Elyon Family Clinic & Surgery Pte Ltd

Singapore

Posts 5248
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 22 2017 6:26 PM | Locked

Seeing we have under a month to get this under contract I am going to try to bump it ever 5 days....

-Dan

Posts 5248
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 27 2017 8:18 AM | Locked

BUMP

Posts 5248
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 2 2017 8:24 AM | Locked

Bump, we are up to the almost there. This set is a good set of books and being offered at a bargain price, often PP have been less than a bargain...not so here, please consider getting this small set as we only have a few days left before losing it from Logos ecosystem.

-dan

Posts 1966
Joseph Turner | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 2 2017 8:32 AM | Locked

Okay, you got me too!

Disclaimer:  I hate using messaging, texting, and email for real communication.  If anything that I type to you seems like anything other than humble and respectful, then I have not done a good job typing my thoughts.

Posts 5248
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 4 2017 9:31 AM | Locked

I believe we only have to March 19th to get this under contract:

Endorsements (Please note I have not included identical ones from the FL product page but I have included ones that are expanded beyond the form listed on the FL product page):

• Jesus' Sermon on the Mount: Mandating a Better Righteousness
"Jack R. Lundbom writes with passion and power as a Christian rabbi and prophet. He not only draws upon the Old Testament and rabbinic sources to exegete Jesus' Sermon on the Mount but also interprets the Sermon in light of centuries of Christian insights, so as to proclaim the mandate of holy living for our generation today. A highly academic yet readable and practical book."
—K. K. Yeo
Garrett-Evangelical Theological Seminary

"Drawing deeply on the author's seasoned scholarship, and remarkably accessible to the general reader, the book offers a fresh and engaging study of the Sermon on the Mount. Jack Lundbom places the teachings of the Sermon into the broad context of the Bible, ancient Jewish teachings, and the history of interpretation for the sake of clarifying the sometimes perplexing, always challenging, pronouncements of the Sermon. Moreover, he draws upon hymns, devotional literature, and pastoral experience to illustrate how the teachings of the Sermon can be applied to life in the present. The book is an excellent resource for the preacher, teacher, and any student of the Bible who is looking for solid scholarship and insightful application for service to the church and for personal reflection."
—Arland J. Hultgren
Emeritus, Luther Seminary

Jesus’ Sermon on the Mount is a gold mine of Old Testament and ancient Jewish texts used to interpret Jesus’ programmatic statement of how to live a holy life. Devotional and realistic regarding the challenges of following Jesus, the study at times softens, yet always sharpens how the words of Jesus apply to today. Lundbom’s work also places the Sermon in dialogue with others who have learned from it over the centuries—from early church authors to reformers such as Luther, Calvin, and Wesley, and from Kierkegaard to the hymns of Swedish Pietism.”
—Walter F. Taylor Jr.
Trinity Lutheran Seminary

“It is a great privilege to have the thoughts and reflections of a wonderful Jeremiah scholar on the Sermon on the Mount. Jack Lundbom has done a great job in signaling out its many echoes from the Jewish Scriptures. He convincingly shows that the Sermon of the Mount does not constitute an unattainable ideal, but that its views need to be lived out in the imitatio Dei.”
George van Kooten
University of Groningen
  • My Flesh Is Meat Indeed: A Nonsacramental Reading of John 6:51-58

"In comparing John's Gospel to Hellenistic romance novels, Warren has drawn attention to intriguing parallels regarding divine-mortal relationships and their relevance for understanding Johannine Christology, particularly the incarnation of the divine Word. She also poignantly reminds Johannine (and New Testament!) scholars that they neglect Greco-Roman sources at their peril."
—Benjamin E. Reynolds
Tyndale University College

“Warren’s study offers a refreshingly new approach to centuries-old debates around the Johannine Jesus’ humanity, divinity, sacramentality and sacrifice. I dare say that the argument for a Christological reading of John 6:51c-58, judiciously informed by a comparison of literary tropes from contemporaneous Greco-Roman novels, is well worth chewing over.”
—Colleen M. Conway
Seton Hall University
  • The Disciples' Prayer: The Prayer Jesus Taught in Its Historical Setting
"Jeffrey Gibson takes the praying of the Lord's Prayer so seriously that he wrestles with what pray-ers of the prayer are actually praying for. He frames his answer in terms of discovering Jesus' intention for the prayer and argues that it concerns discipleship, and that disciples of Jesus pray it to secure God's aid to assist them in being faithful to God’s ways. This is an insightful and stimulating contribution."
—Warren Carter
Brite Divinity School, Texas Christian University

"One could be forgiven for thinking that, when it comes to such familiar and oft-studied words as those of the Lord's Prayer, little new could be said, and any new proposals would most likely be wrong, if not indeed far-fetched. Yet in his book, The Disciples' Prayer, Jeffrey Gibson not only offers new and compelling interpretations of the prayer and its background but even suggests that the very designation we have been using for the prayer is off target and has led to us misunderstanding it in important ways. As if that weren't enough, he manages to do this with a focus that is exegetical and scholarly, and yet also keeps an eye on what it means for Christians to actually pray this prayer. Gibson's book may revolutionize not just New Testament scholarship's understanding of this famous prayer, but the prayer life of the contemporary church as well."
—James F. McGrath
Butler University

"One might be forgiven for questioning the need for yet another book on the Lord's Prayer, but that question is answered confidently by Jeffrey Gibson's book, The Disciples' Prayer. His analysis of what is most likely the original setting of this prayer is both exhaustive and impressive. Gibson's interpretation of 'The Disciples' Prayer' as a part of Jesus' efforts to instruct the disciples in maintaining faithfulness to God deserves a wide readership."
—David Crump
Calvin College

"Jeffrey Gibson brings years of experience as a careful biblical scholar to analyze this famous prayer. The Disciples' Prayer will no doubt become the standard, go-to work on this much-debated topic. This will be deservedly so, for it is an excellent and reliable resource for both scholars and students."
—James Crossley
University of Sheffield

Posts 6321
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 4 2017 12:05 PM | Locked
I placed my order just in case it might get saved. Being almost there should keep it off the list...won't it?
Posts 5248
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 4 2017 12:53 PM | Locked

DAL:
Being almost there should keep it off the list...won't it?

I wouldn't count on that but I think there is a fair chance we might make it through... The one book feels somewhat a weaker of the three... but that said the other two look stellar and as the one on the Lord's prayer is being labeled as "the standard, go-to work" should mean it is one most everyone should hope to have access to in their library. God willing they will make it under contract. $45 is not too much for 3 quality books, but I do realize you have to want them to order them. I also realize there are hundreds of books many people want, these volumes feel very highly  applicable and of a seemingly good quality. I for one will be getting the Sermon on the Mount and Disciple's Prayer in Amazon Kindle if I can't get them in Logos, but this will end up costing me significantly more than the cost of the 3 book set in Logos. I see valuable grain to feed my soul but others may well see only chaff. Hopefully enough will see the grain.

-dan

Posts 5248
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 6 2017 10:34 AM | Locked

Confirmed that the morning of March 20th those not with enough numbers will removed.... Lets do our best to get this under contract. I am pretty sure no one will regret adding these books to their library.

-dan

Posts 5248
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 7 2017 3:09 PM | Locked

Thanks everyone it has gone green.... every who didn't still a chance to get in on a pretty interesting set.

-Dan

Posts 861
LogosEmployee
Ben Amundgaard (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 7 2017 3:45 PM | Locked

Dan Francis:

Thanks everyone it has gone green.... every who didn't still a chance to get in on a pretty interesting set.

-Dan

Sorry, Dan, it still needs a few more orders. There was a slight calculation mishap on the back end.

Manager, Bible Study Products Department

Posts 10116
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 7 2017 4:17 PM | Locked

I'm not in on this one. And this post isn't directed at the brave one (Ben). But I really wonder about calculation errors. I assume when a prepub gets close, that's when they wonder if maybe it needs a re-check. And the numbers have to be exact. 'A few more needed...'.

At the heart of the issue is Faithlife accounting ... customers?? Versus live customers that want the book (in Logos). The issue is rarely a good deal anymore. Just get the book. If it fails prepub ( and the all important recalculation), the customer is out of luck. 

My two Brill hebrew/greek encyclopedias were on the brink of 'in Logos!'. Then suddenly 50% disappeared. No explanation. I still have the money. But I only prepub about-to-ship. Don't trust them.

Posts 861
LogosEmployee
Ben Amundgaard (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 7 2017 4:48 PM | Locked

Denise:

I'm not in on this one. And this post isn't directed at the brave one (Ben). But I really wonder about calculation errors. I assume when a prepub gets close, that's when they wonder if maybe it needs a re-check. And the numbers have to be exact. 'A few more needed...'.

At the heart of the issue is Faithlife accounting ... customers?? Versus live customers that want the book (in Logos). The issue is rarely a good deal anymore. Just get the book. If it fails prepub ( and the all important recalculation), the customer is out of luck. 

My two Brill hebrew/greek encyclopedias were on the brink of 'in Logos!'. Then suddenly 50% disappeared. No explanation. I still have the money. But I only prepub about-to-ship. Don't trust them.

Your question is completely understandable (I knew this question would be coming and almost tried to address it in my initial post).

There are a lot of reasons costs can change on a product (cancellations, increase in production costs, etc.). In this case, it was a box that hadn't been checked on the back end. This resulted in the product page showing that the product was funded when, in fact, it was not.

I'm having the team go through all of the pre-pubs to cancel list and ensuring we have the correct costs in place and the correct boxes checked.

I'm sorry for the confusion.

Manager, Bible Study Products Department

Posts 5248
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 7 2017 4:52 PM | Locked

Ben Amundgaard (Faithlife):
I'm sorry for the confusion.

No backsies... Stick out tongue

Will try to convince more but not sure it will happen but God willing we will get it through.

-dan

Posts 267
Roger Dittmar | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 7 2017 5:59 PM | Locked

Ben has posted a PrePub cancellation list with a disappearance date of March 20 for those failing to reach full development funding. All of the PrePubs on the list have a certain number of pre-orders at the published discount price. What if the failing  PrePubs were cancelled on March 20th and immediately reposted for one week with a new Pre-Order price reflecting the full development cost divided by the number of previous orders received for the respective resources. Motivated customers would then have final opportunities to save resources from cancellation by placing pre-orders at the higher prices.

I would certainly pay a few dollars more for this thread's specific resource to save it from cancellation.

Not exactly on topic, but I'd be willing to pay $4 more (full regular price) for another of Dan's recommendations https://www.logos.com/product/53053/the-new-jerusalem-bible-the-complete-text-of-the-ancient-canon-of-the-scriptures

just to get it into development.

Posts 10116
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 7 2017 6:16 PM | Locked

Roger, not disagreeing with your intent. But you'd have to kick in $15 extra, not $4. And therein lies the problem. The price would exceed ethical behavior.

Basically, Logos has a fairly narrow customer base, and can't take a chance on a Bible. True.

Posts 267
Roger Dittmar | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 7 2017 6:36 PM | Locked

I don't understand the $15 extra. I simply subtracted my $15.99 prepub price from the published $19.99 regular price = $4 - unless I'm misreading the regular price.

Page 1 of 3 (57 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS