Page 2 of 2 (26 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 25 Replies | 8 Followers

Posts 4550
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 6 2017 11:25 AM

Greetings Andrew

Congratulations on becoming a Logos user - if you are anything like me you will find it invaluable.

There are a couple of things that you should know...

Folk with a reddish star under their icon are volunteers who lurk about the forums helping where they can.

Folk with green stars have to work for their living  😊  they are the Faithlife staff.

Andrew Ingersoll:
after having just purchased $600 of software

Actually the 'Software' is free. There is actually a Basic package that has exactly the same engine and a few resources (books) and is provided free as starter unit. What you have really purchased is resources (books) and they are yours forever.

Some of the functions of Logos are reserved for those who subscribe to some extra services (mostly not books). Some of these things involve server side  manipulation. Some are just kept separate to add value to the subscription package. At the moment using local media is one of those things. It may not always stay that way but that is the way it is at the moment.

Of course one of the pleasures of doing business with Faithlife is that they do their best to look after their customers and should you change your mind about any purchase they do offer a very good refund policy. You could return your books but you can't return the software because that came as free but essential add on.

Posts 326
LogosEmployee
Adam Borries (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 6 2017 3:50 PM

Andrew Ingersoll:

Just got the Logos software today; planning on using the sermon editor for preaching and power point in a couple days. I'm excited about the sermon editor feature but was struggling with getting my own images into it. So I came here and find out that to get my images into my sermon is a privilege exclusive for those who pay for a subscription... after having just purchased $600 of software. 

Here's an idea: don't force people to store every piece of media on your servers. It's rather obnoxious to assume I want everything I do to be public. If you want, make the ability to store it in the cloud a paid subscription feature, but by default only save it locally. After all, if I want to use the cloud it makes sense to pay for the storage costs, and if I need to have access to it in multiple locations, I would be more willing to pay for it. But right now, I don't believe the whole world needs my image for my opening icebreaker. Let me store the thing locally to use in the software I already own.  

Andrew, 

First, thank you for your purchase, and welcome to Logos. I am sorry that your very first experience has left such a poor impression; I know how frustrating it can be to invest so much in something, and find that it does do what you expected it would. Let me try to explain the reasons behind it. 

Sermon Editor was designed around the idea that we could help streamline the whole sermon-writing process-- perhaps most notably by automatically creating beautifully-designed slides. (This is something we started doing a few years ago for song slides in Proclaim, and we thought it made sense to carry over to sermons in Logos.) The way we handle that process is by generating the slide on our servers, and then sending the final image to Logos on your computer. So even before we added the ability (somewhat later) for Logos Now members to add their own images, online storage was a necessity, and is still an integral part of the system. 

So, while local-only storage for images is a good idea, it's not the main problem we were trying to solve at the time. That's not to say this couldn't change in the future: it's possible for us to add a local-only option, or (as Phil mentioned above) give each user a limited amount of free storage space. These are all options we are actively exploring. In the meantime, feel free to reach out to me personally if you'd like to continue this conversation, at aborries[at]logos.com. 

I hope and trust that Logos will become a valued tool in your sermon prep, as it is for thousands of other pastors.

Adam Borries | Product Manager, Logos desktop application

Message me on Faithlife.com >>

Posts 851
Michael McLane | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 7 2017 5:39 AM

Are the images that I might upload made public or kept private?

Posts 151
Richard Bonjour | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 7 2017 2:15 PM

Adam, was wondering if there has been any thoughts about linking group uploads from proclaim to the sermon editor. We have over 1000 pictures uploaded and most of them tagged. It seems redundant for me to have up load all those pictures again and tag them when they are already in the system through proclaim. I have access to proclaim media pro images. It sure would be great if we could just finish the job and put the group uploads as well.Smile

Posts 326
LogosEmployee
Adam Borries (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 10 2017 10:04 AM

Michael McLane:

Are the images that I might upload made public or kept private?

Michael, uploaded User Media is private. The only way to access it at this time is through the Media Tool in your own Logos Bible Software. (We have plans for a web interface in the future, where you will probably have more flexibility in privacy controls.)

Richard Bonjour:

Adam, was wondering if there has been any thoughts about linking group uploads from proclaim to the sermon editor. We have over 1000 pictures uploaded and most of them tagged. It seems redundant for me to have up load all those pictures again and tag them when they are already in the system through proclaim. I have access to proclaim media pro images. It sure would be great if we could just finish the job and put the group uploads as well.Smile

This is an excellent point, Richard. The whole idea is to have an integrated workflow, so it makes sense to provide access to *all* your images. :) I'll discuss it with the team. 

Adam Borries | Product Manager, Logos desktop application

Message me on Faithlife.com >>

Posts 4
Michael E Michalk | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 25 2019 8:42 AM

Previously I "tagged" images that I uploaded, but today it's not working. When I type in a tag and then hit "enter," the page goes blank. 

Page 2 of 2 (26 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS