Reading Plan Bug

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
This post has 5 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 44
Eric | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Feb 28 2017 4:18 AM

I was about to necro a post from 5-6 years ago, but decided since it was in the Logos 4 forum that I would create a new post and refer back to it instead.

I'm trying to read through the ANF volumes, and the reference range isn't set up properly, to wit, the reading plan for ANF1 ends after Papias and the reading plan for ANF2 includes only the Shepherd of Hermas. There doesn't seem to be a way to set up a reading plan using page numbers.

Old thread: https://community.logos.com/forums/t/30973.aspx - this seems to be an issue that has been around some time, so my apologies if there are more threads than this. I sincerely hope this can get sorted.

Recovering bibliophile

Posts 1198
Sean | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 28 2017 4:30 AM

Eric:

I was about to necro a post from 5-6 years ago, but decided since it was in the Logos 4 forum that I would create a new post and refer back to it instead.

I'm trying to read through the ANF volumes, and the reference range isn't set up properly, to wit, the reading plan for ANF1 ends after Papias and the reading plan for ANF2 includes only the Shepherd of Hermas. There doesn't seem to be a way to set up a reading plan using page numbers.

Old thread: https://community.logos.com/forums/t/30973.aspx - this seems to be an issue that has been around some time, so my apologies if there are more threads than this. I sincerely hope this can get sorted.

This has been reported several times. I believe FaithLife knows about it. I highly doubt they will ever do anything about it. But they do push through updates of the ANF & NF periodically, so someone should probably try it out again each time they do.

Posts 44
Eric | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 28 2017 4:49 AM

Ah rats, I didn't search long enough. I really am curious why the reading plan function won't recognize page numbers, since the resources clearly has them.

Thanks for the quick reply. I do so love the reading plan feature, so it's a shame that it won't work properly for these resources.

Recovering bibliophile

Posts 2311
LogosEmployee

Here's what causes the problem (and also why an update to the resource will never fix the problem).

The process of generating an automatic reading plan can only make use of a single kind of milestone index (you can find the list of milestone indexes for a resource by using the "i" button in the top right corner of the resource panel, and scrolling down to the Indexes section). The page index will only be used if no other indexes are available. The problem with the ANF resources are that they contain multiple indexes that each only cover part of the entire book.

Fixing this would require rewriting the reading plan generator so that it can take advantage of multiple indexes.

We are aware of the problem and have a case open for this issue, but I have no idea when or if this will be fixed.

Posts 44
Eric | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 28 2017 4:51 PM

Ah, that makes sense. How difficult would it be to allow the index to be chosen on the reading plan generator, instead of trying to use multiple at once? That would at least allow us to choose the page index instead of fighting with multiple indexes.

Recovering bibliophile

Posts 2311
LogosEmployee

Eric:

Ah, that makes sense. How difficult would it be to allow the index to be chosen on the reading plan generator, instead of trying to use multiple at once? That would at least allow us to choose the page index instead of fighting with multiple indexes.

Yes, that is also on the list of changes to make. Unfortunately, I still have no idea when or if this might get implemented.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS