What Tablet?

Page 1 of 5 (85 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next >
This post has 84 Replies | 7 Followers

Posts 25
Colin Bleakney | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Mar 6 2017 2:43 PM

What Tablet would be best to study Logos?

I suffer from a painful Back and am best sitting on an armchair to study.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Colin

Posts 2307
mab | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 6 2017 2:58 PM

iPads are usually the benchmark for a tablet with Logos Bible app. You might want to consider using the tablet as a remote for accessing Logos 7 desktop in order to do more intensive work. The mobile app is getting better and better, but Logos on a PC or Mac is still preferable.

FWIW, Apple is expected to bring an updated line of iPads out fairly soon.

The mind of man is the mill of God, not to grind chaff, but wheat. Thomas Manton | Study hard, for the well is deep, and our brains are shallow. Richard Baxter

Posts 758
David A Egolf | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 6 2017 3:27 PM

I have a Microsoft Surface Book.  It runs Windows 10 and runs Logos in desktop mode.  It can be run as a thin laptop.  The storage is solid state disk, so it is very fast.  The unit separates with the screen operating as a touch tablet on its own.  The unit comes with a pen since the screen resolution is so high that a finger is many times too "fat".

The down side is that Logos desktop has not made any concessions to "touch tablet" mode. For one thing, this means that it can take a couple of extra actions in order to employ the "soft" keyboard in tablet mode.

The up side is that you would have all the capability of your desktop Logos available on the system.

I use my iPad for most of my reading.  This is because I think it is easier to keep the notes organized on the tablets.  I find it very clunky to direct a note to a non-existent or un-open note file on the desktop.  This is simple on the tablet.

However, if you want to keep down the number of devices, then the Surface Book may be the way to go.

Posts 301
LogosEmployee
Brandyn Whittington | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 6 2017 3:29 PM

Hey Colin! Great question. Typically, if you're looking for a lighter version of the app meant to just read, you'd want to go with an iPad, or equivalent Android tablet, likely something in the Samsung family. 

However, if you want the full Logos experience, you'll want to look into investing in a Microsoft Surface Pro. Since they run a full version of the Windows 10 operating system, this means you can install the full Logos software, and get access to all of your tools and books, both online and offline.

Posts 61
Dean Stow | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 6 2017 3:30 PM

I use my iPad for reading and my Desktop for primary study.

I don't own a Surface, but we have several at the office.  If you can tolerate the smaller screen (or less screen real estate when you scale up to 150%), I would say that a Surface is the best of both worlds.  No one has complained about their surface at work.

Dean

Posts 1029
EastTN | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 6 2017 5:24 PM

I believe it's rather dated now, but have been very happy with the Google Nexus 7 I got a few years back. It's an Android tablet that I use for reading on the subway. The Logos app is good for basic reading. It doesn't have anything near the functionality of the desktop application, though.

Posts 775
Armin | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 6 2017 6:00 PM

Colin Bleakney:

I haven't found any of the mobile apps to be good for serious study. To study, you need the desktop application.  I use the mobile apps only for reading.

Before you spend a lot of money on an iPad Pro, please be aware that I have had very annoying intermittent problems with highlighting. It means that I don't use my iPad Pro any more for reading Logos books:

https://community.logos.com/forums/t/131677.aspx?PageIndex=1

Unfortunately, Logos has so far not show interest in fixing this.

Posts 5253
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 6 2017 6:03 PM

Colin Bleakney:

Take a look at the apps.... If the iOS app gives you all you need, an iPAD is ideal.... One thing to remember is that passage guide original language look up and most things other than basic reading requires a network connection. But you can accomplish a lot of basic study with your iPad or Android tablet. If you need the full app surface seems ideal. For me the iPad pro 9.7 works great.

-Dan

Posts 86
Lane McKay | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 6 2017 6:11 PM

I use an HP desktop with 3 monitors for Bible study and writing. I use an iPad Pro 12" for reading.

I was pleasantly surprised in February after buying a Microsoft Surface 4 Pro to use at

Morris Proctors Camp 1 & 2 in Atlanta. It worked great and after looking around the room at

lunch, it was mostly Apple laptops and Windows laptops. Only 2 of us showed up with

the Surface. The other guy was told by his computer guru son to buy the Surface and he

is just as happy as I am. I use a Bluetooth mouse instead of the surface of the keyboard.

Logos runs fast on it and I could keep up with the fast pace that Morris teaches these Camps.

Hope this helps.

Posts 1699
JoshInRI | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 6 2017 6:35 PM

I have a Surface Pro I have used and am now selling under joshinri on ebay.  It has Windows 10 and ran Logos wonderfully.

Posts 25
Colin Bleakney | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 7 2017 2:42 AM

Yea, thanks for that, any particular Windows laptop?

Colin

Posts 25
Colin Bleakney | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 7 2017 2:44 AM

Thanks so much, that's very helpful

Colin

Posts 25
Colin Bleakney | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 7 2017 2:48 AM

Thanks so much, this is very helpful

Colin

Posts 25
Colin Bleakney | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 7 2017 2:51 AM

Great answer, thanks so much, I may well go for this, depending on budget,

thanks,

Colin

Posts 1015
John Goodman | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 7 2017 3:26 AM

I had a iPad and used it mostly for Logos. When I got a kindle fire for my kids I tried it with Logos and quickly got rid of the iPad because the kindle fire was plenty good enough. That my experience. I'd rather spend money on books than devices.

גַּם־חֹשֶׁךְ֮ לֹֽא־יַחְשִׁ֪יךְ מִ֫מֶּ֥ךָ וְ֭לַיְלָה כַּיּ֣וֹם יָאִ֑יר כַּ֝חֲשֵׁיכָ֗ה כָּאוֹרָֽה

Posts 67
Paul C | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 7 2017 4:20 AM

JoshInRI:

I have a Surface Pro I have used and am now selling under joshinri on ebay.  It has Windows 10 and ran Logos wonderfully.

Did you solve the overheating issue?

Posts 1874
David Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 7 2017 4:38 PM

EastTN:
I believe it's rather dated now, but have been very happy with the Google Nexus 7 I got a few years back

I have a Surface Pro that I am very happy with, it gives the full logos experience (even though the interface is not fully touch enabled)

I also have an iPhone so I have the app in iOS and a Nexus 7 Android tablet. I prefer the 7" form factor over the iPhone for using the Apps. I also prefer the Android over iOS for pricing since my tablet is mostly for reading (since the Surface Pro does my heavy lifting).

I had a Surface Pro I (like the one JoshinRI is selling) and it worked perfectly with Logos. The ONLY reason I upgraded to the Surface Pro 4 was because I needed a larger SSD since this is my primary computer.

Making Disciples!  Logos Ecosystem = Logos8 on Microsoft Surface Pro 4 (Win10), Android app on tablet, FSB on iPhone, [deprecated] Windows App, Proclaim, Faithlife.com, FaithlifeTV via Connect subscription.

Posts 67
Paul C | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 7 2017 8:08 PM

Is it possible to install larger ssd? ...Or is it maxed out at 128?

Posts 609
Steve Maling | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 7 2017 9:02 PM

I don't know about user installation of a larger SSD. But the Microsoft Store makes clear that larger SSD's are to be had (for a price, of course!).

Posts 67
Paul C | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 7 2017 9:44 PM

Thanks for the info, Steve. Seems we keep bumping into each other on these tablet threads .... common interest, I reckon.

Page 1 of 5 (85 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > | RSS