Berkhof Collection ... resources not downloaded

Page 3 of 6 (115 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
This post has 114 Replies | 6 Followers

Posts 13342
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 19 2010 7:21 PM

DHG:

If we're getting a mix of L3 files (14) and L4 files (1), it seems like a waste of time to index. When they get the problem fixed, we'll have to do it again, right?

Probably - assuming that L4 files exist for these new resources.

Posts 115
Steve Sando | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 19 2010 8:15 PM

Bobby, I hate to say it, but the reindexing might not bring the books up.  Mine downloaded one of the Berkhof books, then reindexed.  It never told me the others weren't downloaded.  My system is fast but it still took a few hours.  However, when it was done only one book was there.

Fred, Don't throw out the baby with the bath water.  Yeah, it's a goof up.  However, the system is so complex and so many things work really well, you need to give Logos some slack.

BTW I didn't know about LIbrary.Logos.com - wow it is really fast!  It is handy for quick look ups.

Posts 406
Fred Greco | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 19 2010 8:20 PM

Steve Sando:

Fred, Don't throw out the baby with the bath water.  Yeah, it's a goof up.  However, the system is so complex and so many things work really well, you need to give Logos some slack.

Steve,

I'd love to give Logos slack.  In fact, I have been a pretty big Logos cheerleader in my corner of the world (Reformed Presbyterians).  But this same problem has happened over and over again, and in every one of the latest new releases, including big ones like Calvin 500 and Tyndale.  You just can't go around constantly messing up when folks spend a chunk of change for a product.  It's been like clockwork: (1) release a new title; (2) release is on a Friday; (3) release does not work properly; (4) forum fills us with questions, complaints, concerns; (5) Logos closes Friday afternoon; (6) no word from Logos until Monday; (7) no fix until Monday or Tuesday.

It's really bad business.

Fred Greco
Senior Pastor, Christ Church PCA, Katy, TX
Windows 10 64-bit; Logos 7.1 SR-2 (Reformed Platinum)

Posts 513
Bobby Terhune | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 19 2010 8:34 PM

Steve,

For my install I had used the email from Logos with the link provided and downloaded and unlocked everything into L3. Then I scaned L3 to pull over the Berkhof files. I too have 14 Lbxlls books and 1 logos4 book, but after indexing I was able to search everything just fine.

In the past when I have had files in lbxlls load first into L4 and then indexed, I found that later when logos4 files were downloaded to replace them the indexing was minimal. But that is just my milage on the issue.

Posts 2
Mike Bowman | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 19 2010 9:15 PM

Ditto.

It's more than three times...I've been lurking in the forums for a few months now and this seem to be a common problem lately -- and it's also getting me a bit perturbed. I've purchased the same sets as you and have had the same exact problems. At times it seems we are being taking advantage of and it's not a good thing to contemplate.

The attitude seems to be - let's charge their cards and release on Friday no matter if it ready or not - they won't notice until the following week. Again, not a good thing to contemplate, reminds me of the old check kiting schemes. Very uncool and very unprofessional.

Before the regulars chime in, I've spent over $9,800 in the past year and have another $3,000 on pre-pub and been a Logos user for a few years. However, Logos reputation is taking a well deserved beating. All I want, and deserve, is to get what I paid for when I pay for it. No excuses.

Posts 63
Bryan Speer | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 19 2010 9:38 PM

I do not have a beta and I am having the exact issue everyone else is having.  I have the latest version.  The exact same thing is happening on my laptop and desktop.  Something is not right with the download process.  I am stuck, like everybody else, as 24% done of 18.3mb.   I guess all we can do is wait til Monday.

Posts 213
Anthony U | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 20 2010 3:01 AM

I had the same problem as you, my Benjamins were gone and still no sign of Louie!

Hovever, I downloaded the resources to L3 & synchronized licenses, scanned the drive path in L4 & updated the resources, indexed for 3 hours - and now Louie showed up! 

I will never delete L3 because this is how I download all my resources - Calvin, AMG Esstentials, Berkhof, etc. 

It's not the pretty way to do it, but it works.  Good luck.

**Update:  I have L4 on two other computers and the above procedure isn't working!!

Posts 204
Steven Yu | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 20 2010 3:32 AM

Ok, so I am not the only one having problem with getting the Berkolf downloads.....  My one keep trying to reindex and redownload the 18.7mb package....  I will give the Logos 3 solution a go frist, then see if the Logos 4 can pick up the resource later.

"And you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free", John 8:32.
"你們必定認識真理,真理必定使你們自由", 約翰福音 8:3.

Posts 4508
Robert Pavich | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 20 2010 4:01 AM

Fred Greco:
I'd love to give Logos slack.  In fact, I have been a pretty big Logos cheerleader in my corner of the world (Reformed Presbyterians).  But this same problem has happened over and over again, and in every one of the latest new releases, including big ones like Calvin 500 and Tyndale. 

I'm gonna have to be in Pastor G's corner here....he's been very patient over the course of the whole L4 release cycle, and frequently he's the "voice of reason" when things go wrong.... and so when you upset Pastor G, then you know you've really done something! Big Smile

Robert Pavich

For help go to the Wiki: http://wiki.logos.com/Table_of_Contents__

Posts 2690
Forum MVP
Ted Hans | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 20 2010 4:09 AM

Robert Pavich:
I'm gonna have to be in Pastor G's corner here....he's been very patient over the course of the whole L4 release cycle, and frequently he's the "voice of reason" when things go wrong.... and so when you upset Pastor G, then you know you've really done something! Big Smile

Agreed! Calvin, Tyndale, NIBC, John Owen Commentaries and now Berkhof.

Ted.

Dell, studio XPS 7100, Ram 8GB, 64 - bit Operating System, AMD Phenom(mt) IIX6 1055T Processor 2.80 GHZ

Posts 24837
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 20 2010 4:10 AM

If you can't get out of the download loop by using L3 to get the resource(s) then set Automatically Download Updates = NO in Program Settings. It will notify you that a download is available but don't accept it until you know (or hope!) the problem is fixed - give it a couple of days.

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 43
Abraham M. Payton Jr. | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 20 2010 6:00 AM

Yesterday I read the fixes proposed and implemented them. This morning the rebuild of the index was complete and all is well. This was more work than it should have been but thank you Rosie and Mark for helping us get through the quagmire.

May your blessings abound,                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       Abraham

Posts 21
Kenneth P. McCaulley | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 20 2010 7:47 AM

L3-L4 fix worked for me as well.  One other factor that may bear on whether or not that fix works: PC vs. Mac.

Yes, it's disappointing; but Logos has earned some slack in my books. 

Posts 115
Steve Sando | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 20 2010 9:24 AM

I finally pieced together the process and I have the books.  I don't have L3 installed so, here's what I did:

1. Go to http://www.logos.com/products/details/5084
  2. Click on "Download Book Files"
  3. Right click on each book and select "Save Link As"
  4. Save it in some folder.  I used "G:\Logos"
  5. Repeat for each book
  6. In L4 run the command; "Scan G:\Logos"
  7. Restart L4 (The books showed up, but it didn't index them. so no searching worked)
  8. In L4 run the command "merge index"

I'm now waiting for a reindex.  We'll see what happens

Posts 17
Rick L. Cooper | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 20 2010 9:46 AM

YES!  I ordered the same series and credit card has was charged but NO download.

Rick

Posts 1073
Martin Folley | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 20 2010 10:14 AM

Steve Sando:

I finally pieced together the process and I have the books.  I don't have L3 installed so, here's what I did:

1. Go to http://www.logos.com/products/details/5084
  2. Click on "Download Book Files"
  3. Right click on each book and select "Save Link As"
  4. Save it in some folder.  I used "G:\Logos"
  5. Repeat for each book
  6. In L4 run the command; "Scan G:\Logos"
  7. Restart L4 (The books showed up, but it didn't index them. so no searching worked)
  8. In L4 run the command "merge index"

I'm now waiting for a reindex.  We'll see what happens

Thanks Steve ... that seems to work for me as well. I was not going to re-install L3, it is simpler to wait until next week for an eventual fix. especially since I (we) have been waiting so long already.

I also want to thank Rosie, Mark and everybody else who chip into this community.

I cannot pretend to understand why L3 files will work for L4, nor why Logos have this strange "Get 'em out by Friday" approach but I, like many of us, have experienced so much good service from the team in Bellingham that I cannot complain if the ball is dropped occasionally. That said, after the ordeal we often find more that the sour turns to sweet, and the trivial turns out to be just that ... trivial and momentary.

2010 17" MBP with High Sierra, iPad4 with iOS10.

Posts 63
Bryan Speer | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 20 2010 11:01 AM

I agree, while this is irritating, this is the first real issue i have had with downloading new L4 purchases.  The other 6-7 times it has been flawless.  That includes the Calvin 500 and other products other say they had issues with downloading.  WIth that said I do think they need to reexamine the decision to release books on Friday.  I have another one next Friday.

I think we also need to give them a little slack to work out any issues.  This new Logos release is fundamentally different from the old way.  While there will be bumps along the way I think this program is well worth the effort and pain in the initial stages.

Now if I can only find a way to get them to release some of the package I have suggested it would be even better.

Posts 999
Mike Pettit | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 20 2010 11:24 AM

What is worrying is how opaque Logos is, you make a purchase and you have to either turn detective or trust that the full collection has downloaded.

It is very poor practise of Logos not to make it clear what has been added to your collection, this also ties in with the decision not to let you know what you are dowloading which is really unacceptable, not least because it means that you do not  know when things are going wrong.

How do we know that books are nor being lost all over the place, I am not suggesting any bad motives but thats the whole point of a double entry record is that discrepencies come to light automatically.

Posts 1646
SteveF | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 20 2010 12:14 PM

Ted Hans:
Calvin, Tyndale, NIBC, John Owen Commentaries and now Berkhof.

Will we be hearing the same tales of woe when the Zondervan "bundle" starts rolling out (perhaps) next month?

Regards, SteveF

Posts 4508
Robert Pavich | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 20 2010 1:50 PM

Based on the conversation here today; I'd change my opinon and say that we need something like the following:

"Logos is now downloading 14:5mb of data "The Louis Berkhof collection; 15 volumes"

That way we can keep track of what's what.

Robert Pavich

For help go to the Wiki: http://wiki.logos.com/Table_of_Contents__

Page 3 of 6 (115 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS