Wow! Searching for articles written by a particular author in Theological Journals

Page 2 of 2 (27 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 26 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 4508
Robert Pavich | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 20 2010 10:06 AM | Locked

Good news!

After a healthy index...Grace Theo Journals has all of the required fields!

thanks everyone.

Robert Pavich

For help go to the Wiki: http://wiki.logos.com/Table_of_Contents__

Posts 24926
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 20 2010 11:43 PM | Locked

Robert Pavich:

Good news!

After a healthy index...Grace Theo Journals has all of the required fields!

Bob, a few things still puzzle me:

• L4 did not reindex after you updated to 4.0c?
  • did it start indexing after you downloaded Grace Theological Journals?

EDIT: to clarify the first Q, you said you had not done a re-index with the update to 4.0c, but surely you received a 270 MB download of the reformatted interlinears?

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 18668
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 21 2010 12:42 AM | Locked

Mark Barnes:

Just wanted to say a big thank you for making this so easy!

Wow! This is awesome. I'd noticed there were a bunch of checkboxes in that new dropdown menu but hadn't tried them out yet.

Note that you really do have to be careful about what search fields are supported by the resources you're interested in. For example, I searched for author = Waltke in my Journals collection, and it found two reviews of books by him (but the reviews were by some other author). Then I search for the name of the author of one of those reviews and it didn't find that review. Then I pulled up the info panel for this journal (Review of Biblical Literature) and found these fields among those listed:

author
                Authors cited or discussed

artauthor
                The author of an article or review, rather than the author of a work under review.

So to search for articles by Waltke, I'd need to use artauthor, not author.

Journal of Hebrew Scriptures is the same way. Perhaps that is a standard that is used when tagging all resources that have article authors, but I'm not sure. Also, not all journals are tagged with author and/or artauthor in my library. Semeia is not so tagged, nor is Journal of Biblical Apologetics, for example.

Posts 13360
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 21 2010 12:56 AM | Locked

Some resources use the field "contributor" as well.

Posts 4508
Robert Pavich | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 21 2010 2:56 AM | Locked

Dave Hooton:

Bob, a few things still puzzle me:

• L4 did not reindex after you updated to 4.0c?
  • did it start indexing after you downloaded Grace Theological Journals?

EDIT: to clarify the first Q, you said you had not done a re-index with the update to 4.0c, but surely you received a 270 MB download of the reformatted interlinears?

Dave,

I had downloaded the C update, and I thought it indexed...but a short one...and yes...I did get the interlinears in their new format.

I downloaded the Grace journals yesterday and I had to force a "rebuild index" to get the fields to show. In fact, I had to do it about 3 times; it would start, then quit and it wasn't until I turned off "automatic updates" and stopped the Berkhof download effort that it would work, then it indexed for several hours...much longer than usual.

Robert Pavich

For help go to the Wiki: http://wiki.logos.com/Table_of_Contents__

Posts 3163
Dominick Sela | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 21 2010 3:21 AM | Locked

Doh! I just realized this is a 4.0c change! I could not get the type of search to come up when I did Basic Search!  What forum am I in.....Confused

Posts 62
Mark Kulikovsky | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 21 2010 3:50 AM | Locked

When I had the problem of missing search fields on some Galaxie journals in 4.0a, I had downloaded the latest journal files from Galaxie into a temporary directory and then did a scan of the directory, Logos 4 found them and installed them and then went into indexing to index the new journal resources, which completed 'successfully'. But the heading search field still did not appear. It was not until I did a complete re-index of the library that the missing search field appeared. Obviously, the partial indexing of the new journal files was not successful but I have no idea why, nor any idea why a full re-index resolved the problem.

This situation happened to me twice, with different Galaxie journals. I downloaded the updated journals on different dates after Hampton Keathley posted updates at different times over the Christmas period to add the heading search fields. Both times, after indexing, the search fields were misisng until a complete re-index.

It would seem that the problem I saw in 4.0a still exists in 4.0c

Page 2 of 2 (27 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS