Hebrew Interlinear transliteration

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
This post has 5 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 288
Bob Soule | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Mar 13 2017 11:11 AM

What is the meaning of the 2 in the Lemma and the Lemma Transliteration for the word speak in the following screen shot of reverse interlilnear?

Posts 1300
LogosEmployee
Rick Brannan (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 13 2017 11:24 AM

Hi Bob.

You'll notice the "1" and "2" are also in the lemma lines. With Hebrew lemmas, sometimes the same string of letters can have multiple and different senses. They are homographs. The number indicates which sense (according to the lemma analysis, not according to any particular lexicon) is intended. This helps in linking to lexicons, ensuring the correct sense is aligned with the correct lexicon entry. It also helps in searching, ensuring that you're not only finding the correct lemma, but the correct sense of the lemma.

This is a larger issue with Hebrew lemmas; Greek lemmas are much less problematic and very rarely need homograph disambiguation.

Rick Brannan
Data Wrangler, Faithlife
My books in print

Posts 3254
Forum MVP
PetahChristian | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 13 2017 11:24 AM

The number is used to differentiate between lemmas which share the same spelling, but have different meanings.

Posts 288
Bob Soule | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 13 2017 1:17 PM

Rick Brannan (Faithlife):

(according to the lemma analysis, not according to any particular lexicon) 

Thanks for the quick reply... I am on the road so I can't use logos.... but are you referring to  lemma analysis of the search tool or the exegetical guide?

Posts 1300
LogosEmployee
Rick Brannan (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 13 2017 1:44 PM

Bob Soule:

(according to the lemma analysis, not according to any particular lexicon) 

Thanks for the quick reply... I am on the road so I can't use logos.... but are you referring to  lemma analysis of the search tool or the exegetical guide?

Hi Bob.

I'm referring to the analysis of the text (Lexham Hebrew Interlinear) which also matches the Lexham Hebrew Bible. The guides / tools will use the analysis scheme you specify. If a guide, then it will use your preferred resource(s); if a search, then the scheme of the resource you're searching/right-clicking from.

Rick Brannan
Data Wrangler, Faithlife
My books in print

Posts 288
Bob Soule | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 14 2017 8:31 AM

I'm referring to the analysis of the text (Lexham Hebrew Interlinear) which also matches the Lexham Hebrew Bible. The guides / tools will use the analysis scheme you specify. If a guide, then it will use your preferred resource(s); if a search, then the scheme of the resource you're searching/right-clicking from.

Ok, I think I understand. The number is assigned through the tagging and creation process of the Hebrew lemma interlinear data by an analysis of the Hebrew texts you mentioned to make this lemma unique, to distinguish it from other meanings of the lemma. 

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS