How many Saved Layouts do you use?

Page 1 of 1 (20 items)
This post has 19 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 141
John C Connell Jr. | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Mar 19 2017 7:52 AM

I am surprised to find that I am relying on only three Saved Layouts.  How many do you use regularly?

Posts 8299
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 19 2017 8:05 AM

One.

But it's big. 5 windows to cover research, OT, NT, reading, etc.

Used to have more, but easier to use multiple windows, and leave in memory for weeks at a time. Don't have to constantly reload, everything in its place, and a reminder of what I should be using.

Posts 457
Ryan | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 19 2017 8:10 AM

Hi John,

While I have numerous saved layouts,I find that in reality I only use about two.

Posts 58
JeremyS | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 19 2017 8:14 AM

just two or three that i use regularly. but will often save a tweaked layout while i'm doing a particular study so i can go back to that prep till i'm done. I tell myself i'm going to delete them after i'm finished but i have accumulated quite a lot of old layouts lol

Posts 1094
Veli Voipio | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 19 2017 8:21 AM

I have 12 but normally use 4: NT, OT, Read, Skim Geeked

Gold package, and original language material and ancient text material, SIL and UBS books, discourse Hebrew OT and Greek NT. PC with Windows 8.1

Posts 2512
Milkman | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 19 2017 11:04 AM

5 windows! Holy cow! I'd like to have work space like that.

mm.

Denise:

One.

But it's big. 5 windows to cover research, OT, NT, reading, etc.

Used to have more, but easier to use multiple windows, and leave in memory for weeks at a time. Don't have to constantly reload, everything in its place, and a reminder of what I should be using.

mm.

Posts 2512
Milkman | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 19 2017 11:09 AM

Same here. I have a fair amount of saved layouts. The reason I have a lot is that I'm very much a mood reader/studier. I'll go two or three weeks reading a historical type of layout, then I'll switch to a theology layout and then if I'm in the mood for book study layout, away I go. Don't think I'm ADD but I get bored waaaaay toooo fast with the same ol same ol.

mm.

mm.

Posts 2426
Doc B | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 19 2017 11:45 AM

John C Connell Jr.:
How many do you use regularly?

I have dozens, and that's after deleting 20 or 30, finding out they negatively affect Logos' performance.  I use most of them occasionally, but use about six of them regularly. A few are temporary (in a certain resource, for example) and will be deleted when I finish that project.

I admit I probably overuse them, but find them useful so take advantage of the feature.

I sure wish they would fix the problem of the extras bogging things down.

My thanks to the various MVPs. Without them Logos would have died early. They were the only real help available.

Faithlife Corp. owes the MVPs free resources for life.

Posts 141
John C Connell Jr. | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 19 2017 12:15 PM

Denise,

Can you post a screenshot of that Big Window of yours?  Sounds interesting.

-john

Posts 838
Rick Ausdahl | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 19 2017 3:07 PM

This is a bit embarrassing considering how few others seem to have, but I just did a count and found I have 63.  Tongue Tied

I didn't plan it that way -- it just evolved as it allowed me to use common resources in a variety of studies set up on several books of the Bible as well as various topics, mobile ed courses, etc, and always have those common resources for a particular study open to the right place when I open the layout.  Perhaps there's a better way to accomplish the same thing, but I've always found it so easy to do it with layouts, that I've never had reason to consider other options.

Posts 2426
Doc B | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 20 2017 11:06 AM

Rick Ausdahl:
I have 63

Rick, you know those are dragging your performance down, right? I can't find the thread, but learned it from a similar thread late last year.

As for now, you can start singing a certain Beatles song once you install the next layout. Big Smile

My thanks to the various MVPs. Without them Logos would have died early. They were the only real help available.

Posts 259
scooter | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 20 2017 11:24 AM

Doc B:
As for now, you can start singing a certain Beatles song once you install the next layout

Perhaps U mean The Buckinghams:  ''Kind of a Drag'' [1967].

Posts 2512
Milkman | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 20 2017 12:14 PM

Great song from a great era!

mm.

Posts 510
Randall Cue | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 20 2017 12:46 PM

I use 3; one for Old Testament study, one for New Testament study, and one for any special project I'm working on.

Soli Deo Gloria

Randy

Posts 259
scooter | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 20 2017 1:22 PM

Milkman:

Great song from a great era!

CKRC, buddy.

Posts 838
Rick Ausdahl | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 20 2017 3:54 PM

Doc B:

Rick Ausdahl:
I have 63

Rick, you know those are dragging your performance down, right? I can't find the thread, but learned it from a similar thread late last year.

As for now, you can start singing a certain Beatles song once you install the next layout. Big Smile

That's partly why I was surprised to see how many layouts I have.  I had read some of those threads but hadn't counted my layouts because Logos performance seemed pretty decent.  E.g. it usually takes about 5 seconds on average to change layouts, with some changing in as little as 3 seconds and some taking up to 7.  And I haven't experienced any lag when scrolling or paging in resources or going to a passage location.  But by the same token, I've been doing very few searches as of late, so maybe I'd see a big hit if doing that.

Posts 367
Rodney Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 21 2017 5:09 AM

I have about 20..  I love using them and they help remind me of things I want to get back to..  

Posts 3721
Disciple of Christ (doc) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 21 2017 5:32 AM

Very few, one or two saved relating to a specific studying project or mobile ed course I am working through and then my goto adhoc generic workspace which I use most of the time and fluctuates pretty much each time I user the software.

Posts 1960
David Ames | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 21 2017 6:43 AM

11 layouts

But only 5 regularly used: 
1 Current Deep Study
1 Multi Bibles {all my English Bibles}
3 for weekly church bible studies {3 weekly classes so 3 studies}

Some of the Others :
2 for checking a PBB Bible that I most likely will never finish {DR of 1585 / 1609 - converting from a PDF}
1 old deep study to see how many new hits I should examine {currently more than twice what I used in the study)

Posts 2426
Doc B | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 22 2017 9:21 PM

scooter:
Perhaps U mean The Buckinghams:  ''Kind of a Drag'' [1967].

I was really after, "When I'm 64," but yours works too.

Page 1 of 1 (20 items) | RSS
Copyright 1992-2015 Faithlife / Logos Bible Software.