Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
This post has 6 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 25735
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Mar 29 2017 2:55 AM

This is the format I get in v7.4 and 7.6 (created in v7.4):-

This is the format I get in v7.4 and 7.6 (created in v7.6 ):-

Do these represent the "new" Grammars section (I can't find the Grammars Cross References Dataset in Help >>About....)?

Why is the second search on <BibleHCSB > when my top bible is ESV?

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 2205
LogosEmployee

This has nothing to do with the old vs. new Grammars section. Most likely the Grammars Cross References Dataset was never added to the list of resources that is displayed on the About page. I'll take a look.

The difference is that one was created from the right click menu in one Bible, and the other was created either by right clicking on a passage in another Bible or by manually entering the Bible reference. When manually entering a reference, it uses the datatype from your preferred Bible. When right clicking on a passage, it uses the datatype of the reference you have selected.

Posts 25735
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 29 2017 1:10 PM

Andrew Batishko (Faithlife):
This has nothing to do with the old vs. new Grammars section. Most likely the Grammars Cross References Dataset was never added to the list of resources that is displayed on the About page. I'll take a look.

I found a GRAMMAR-XREFS.lbsxrf file in the Resources folder of  both v7.4 and v7.6. So, if  "this" has nothing to do with the old vs new section what is the meaning of "the legacy version of Grammars guide section has been removed in favor of a newer Grammars section" in https://community.logos.com/forums/t/140062.aspx ?

When manually entering a reference, it uses the datatype from your preferred Bible.

Both references were manually entered in PG and the Grammars section was generated from the Add menu. I just generated Joel 2:3-9  (pericope) and the Grammars search uses <Bible ISV>

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 2205
LogosEmployee

Dave Hooton:

I found a GRAMMAR-XREFS.lbsxrf file in the Resources folder of  both v7.4 and v7.6. So, if  "this" has nothing to do with the old vs new section what is the meaning of "the legacy version of Grammars guide section has been removed in favor of a newer Grammars section" in https://community.logos.com/forums/t/140062.aspx ?

That is the resource in question.

By "this" I was trying to say that the issue you are reporting has nothing to do with the post/release note you indicated.

You haven't been using the old version of the Grammars section since whenever you obtained access to the GRAMMAR-XREFS resource (likely back in 6.3).

The post is meant to help people who do not have access to that resource, and therefore have been using the old version of the Grammars section.

Dave Hooton:

When manually entering a reference, it uses the datatype from your preferred Bible.

Both references were manually entered in PG and the Grammars section was generated from the Add menu. I just generated Joel 2:3-9  (pericope) and the Grammars search uses <Bible ISV>

If you select the pericope item, then it's going to use the datatype that corresponds to the source of that pericope.

Since the Matthew 7:6 guide was saved from 7.4, what matters is how you created the guide at that time. If you manually entered the reference at that time, then perhaps ESV was your preferred Bible at the time you entered it.

In practice, it generally doesn't matter which Bible data type is used, except in certain specific areas where the Bible datatypes have different coverage. That's because the references freely convert to the appropriate datatype when searching. In those cases, the Guide will automatically figure out which datatype to use based on the reference you have entered.

You can test the datatype conversion by running the provided searches with different Bible datatypes and seeing that you get back the same results.

In cases where the exact Bible datatype does matter, then the search is going to work right to actually pull back all the results that you are looking for.

Posts 2205
LogosEmployee

The post is meant to help people who do not have access to that resource, and therefore have been using the old version of the Grammars section.

I've made a small change to the linked post that will hopefully clarify who is affected by this change.

Posts 25735
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 30 2017 5:28 AM

I've made a small change to the linked post that will hopefully clarify who is affected by this change.

It was the cause of my confusion together with the fact I couldn't initially determine if I had the dataset.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 25735
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 30 2017 5:34 AM

If you select the pericope item, then it's going to use the datatype that corresponds to the source of that pericope.
In practice, it generally doesn't matter which Bible data type is used, except in certain specific areas where the Bible datatypes have different coverage. That's because the references freely convert to the appropriate datatype when searching. In those cases, the Guide will automatically figure out which datatype to use based on the reference you have entered.

Yes, I had begun to suspect that the datatype was pericope-related. Thanks for the confirmation.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS