Marking "hesed" in the Bible

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
This post has 6 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 77
Pat Brown | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Apr 8 2017 7:06 AM

Since hesed is such an important OT word, blessing us with one definition of God's relationship to us, I'd like to mark the various English words used for it in the Faithlife Bible. I can go thru the steps so this word is highlighted in the English text and then I can select it and mark it with the brown foreground letters.

But is there a way to do a group marking for the root word? (I'm using the word "root" and think that's the correct one to use. I would like "hesed" to be marked, regardless of inflection, etc.)

Posts 233
Brian Losabia | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 8 2017 7:41 AM

You want to set up a visual filter on the Hebrew hesed.  It'll do exactly what you're looking for. 

Posts 21877
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 8 2017 8:50 AM

As Brian says a Visual Filter is what you want.

I set one up sometime ago just focusing on the Psalms.

To set it up:

Right-click on an instance of the word, ensure the lemma is selected on the right-hand side and then click "search this resource"

This will give you something like this:

Then click on the icon at the top-left of the panel and select "Save asVisual Filter"

Give the resulting visual filter a name and choose the formatting you want 

And you are all set

If this doesn't make sense - or you can't get it to work - please post back

Posts 77
Pat Brown | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 10 2017 8:19 PM

Thanks, Brian. I have the same message for you and for Graham.

I did it, but I don't know how. I followed your examples but don't really understand what I did. We seemed to do this and then went off and did that. But I'll study it until it I understand the flow. First, I guess I need to understand Visual Filters better. Looking at the examples, it certainly would be worthwhile understanding. Thanks again.

Pat

Posts 77
Pat Brown | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 10 2017 8:20 PM

Thanks, Graham. I have the same message for you and for Brian.

I did it, but I don't know how. I followed your examples but don't really understand what I did. We seemed to do this and then went off and did that. But I'll study it until it I understand the flow. First, I guess I need to understand Visual Filters better. Looking at the examples, it certainly would be worthwhile understanding. Thanks again.

Pat

Posts 21877
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 11 2017 12:17 AM

Hi Pat

Glad it worked but sorry the process wasn't clear.

Were there any particular points where things seemed disconnected?

Graham

Posts 77
Pat Brown | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 19 2017 8:39 AM
I had family coming in town for Easter and a visit for several days afterwards. I really didn't try to follow the sense of the steps--I just followed the steps. Once things calm down, I want to go over exactly what I did and things will probably fall into place. Certainly the steps you had me take worked (thanks again) so I suspect they will make sense once I take the time to look at them. If not, I turn to Forum again.   I should not be such a novice at Forum by now and I just can't figure out how it works. I once went to the first page of the General Section and saw a two word heading that someone had used on that first page. I ran a search on those two words (with and without quote marks) but the software couldn't find that subject. So I have given up trying to understand and just write in my questions. So I doubly appreciate people like you who take the time to provide answers.   - -------------------------------------------------------------
Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS