Mac Book Pro Overheating with Logos Indexing

Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
This post has 12 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 701
ChelseaFC | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Apr 13 2017 5:02 AM

Hey all, 

Greetings. I've had this problem for months and I'm not a tech person. Maybe someone out there can help...Almost every time my Logos indexes, especially during the monthly Logos now uploads, my MacBook Pro overheats. Also the cpu load shoots way up. This only happens when Logos is on. I haven't had any problems with anything else.  Here are my specs: 

Model Name: MacBook Pro

Model Identifier: MacBookPro12,1

Processor Name: Intel Core i5

Processor Speed: 2.7 GHz

Number of Processors: 1

Total Number of Cores: 2

L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB

L3 Cache: 3 MB

Memory: 8 GB

Boot ROM Version: MBP121.0167.B24

SMC Version (system): 2.28f7

Does anybody else have this issue? Any reasonable suggestions on how to fix it? Thanks for your time!

Cheers, 
ChelseaFC 

Chelsea FC- Today is a good day!

Posts 2
Dr. Todd Reimer | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 13 2017 7:02 AM

I am having the same problem.

Posts 1376
Ben | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 13 2017 7:32 AM

Can you define "overheating"? It shuts down? Kernal panic? Fan spins hard? 

"The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of Conservatives is to prevent mistakes from being corrected."- G.K. Chesterton

Posts 701
ChelseaFC | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 13 2017 9:15 AM

Ben:

Can you define "overheating"? It shuts down? Kernal panic? Fan spins hard? 

The fan spins very loudly and the bottom of the laptop starts to heat up. Pausing the indexing only delays the overheating until it's unpaused. When it gets to 99% and I pause it then it seems to do nothing because its almost finished. It's a relatively new mac and it only happens with Logos. Thanks for your time Ben. 

Cheers, 
ChelseaFC

Posts 3252
Forum MVP
PetahChristian | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 13 2017 9:38 AM

I don't recall details about the specific index that FL added which gets rebuilt at 99%. While there's obviously some beneficial purpose for it, building it does tax the system (uses multiple CPU cores and more memory) more than other indexing that takes place up to that point.

I would say that the fans spinning on high is normal and expected. Anything FL could do to use fewer cores would just make that indexing take longer.

Posts 701
ChelseaFC | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 13 2017 10:00 AM

PetahChristian:

I don't recall details about the specific index that FL added which gets rebuilt at 99%. While there's obviously some beneficial purpose for it, building it does tax the system (uses multiple CPU cores and more memory) more than other indexing that takes place up to that point.

I would say that the fans spinning on high is normal and expected. Anything FL could do to use fewer cores would just make that indexing take longer.

Thanks for your thoughts Petah..I'm not sure how normal this is. All I know is that it happens when Logos is indexing (especially at the beginning of the month with Logos Now)...When I had a PC it didn't have this similar problem which is why I think it curious and slightly annoying. All the best. 

Cheers, 

ChelseaFC

Posts 1376
Ben | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 13 2017 10:48 AM

Heavy CPU (and I think GPU) usage is normal when building the index, but that should only happen when you get new books. Moreover, the system fan should slow and cool once the indexing is done. Make sure you have the newest osx updates.

There was a bug corrected in the last few months wherein on occasion, once the GPU had been activated, it wouldn't shut itself off, even if not needed anymore. 

I run Logos on a 2011 Macbook Air with 4Gb Ram, and it fans hard when indexing, but stops within a few minutes of finishing the index. It's got nowhere near the power yours does.

"The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of Conservatives is to prevent mistakes from being corrected."- G.K. Chesterton

Posts 701
ChelseaFC | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 14 2017 2:15 AM

Ben:

Heavy CPU (and I think GPU) usage is normal when building the index, but that should only happen when you get new books. Moreover, the system fan should slow and cool once the indexing is done. Make sure you have the newest osx updates.

There was a bug corrected in the last few months wherein on occasion, once the GPU had been activated, it wouldn't shut itself off, even if not needed anymore. 

I run Logos on a 2011 Macbook Air with 4Gb Ram, and it fans hard when indexing, but stops within a few minutes of finishing the index. It's got nowhere near the power yours does.

Thanks Ben for responding and for the information. I suppose then that it'll be a normal but I thought my PC didn't have this indexing problem. (Maybe it's my memory that is poor). I suppose it's just a fact of life with Logos Now then. Thanks again Ben! 

Cheers, 

ChelseaFC

Posts 701
ChelseaFC | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 14 2017 2:19 AM

ChelseaFC:

PetahChristian:

Thanks for your thoughts Petah..I'm not sure how normal this is. All I know is that it happens when Logos is indexing (especially at the beginning of the month with Logos Now)...When I had a PC it didn't have this similar problem which is why I think it curious and slightly annoying. All the best. 

Cheers, 

ChelseaFC

Sorry Petah I think my response came off as harsh/defensive and ungrateful. I'd like to apologise for this..Thanks for your help. I guess that you are right and that this is just normal for Logos and LN. I do wish that there was a solution to this indexing overheating. Thanks for your time. Happy Easter. 

Cheers,

ChelseaFC

Posts 3252
Forum MVP
PetahChristian | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 14 2017 7:32 AM

Thanks, but no worries, I didn't take it that way!

That 99% index was new (perhaps sometime in the last 6-9 months??). Did you have a PC laptop back then? Perhaps it never had to build that specific index?

I don't believe our MacBooks have had to handle such a heavy CPU load, until that index was added to the program. Still, we can be thankful for the indexes which allow Logos to more quickly return all manner of search results in general. Smile

Happy Easter!

Posts 701
ChelseaFC | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 14 2017 8:22 AM

PetahChristian:

Thanks, but no worries, I didn't take it that way!

That 99% index was new (perhaps sometime in the last 6-9 months??). Did you have a PC laptop back then? Perhaps it never had to build that specific index?

I don't believe our MacBooks have had to handle such a heavy CPU load, until that index was added to the program. Still, we can be thankful for the indexes which allow Logos to more quickly return all manner of search results in general. Smile

Happy Easter!

Thanks Petah. I'm glad you didn't take it that way...

Yeah, I haven't used my PC laptop since last June....I just got a MacBook last June but noticed the bigger change when I started using LN later in '16. I guess there is no way around it....You are right though at least we get quicker results. Yes

Cheers,

ChelseaFC 

Posts 1
Zachary Autry | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 14 2019 11:17 AM

I know this concern was raised 2 years ago, but just saying, I have a Macbook Pro Retina that can handle pretty much anything, but struggles when Logos decides to index. It would be helpful if Logos were more user-friendly (considering the cost of the program) and provided options for when one wanted to index (similar getting to choose when Mac or Windows updates the OS) instead of forcing an index; the only option being to delay it for 4 hours. That's not very flexible. And really, it's 2019. Optimize the indexing process for pete's sake. Logo's tech support suggestion is to "add more memory" to your computer to better support Logos. It might be more beneficial to make the program that costs more than a thousand dollars run more efficiently on one's computer. Anyhoo, thx for letting me vent XD

Posts 25032
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 17 2019 3:16 PM

Zachary Autry:
It would be helpful if Logos were more user-friendly (considering the cost of the program) and provided options for when one wanted to index

You can control the timing of downloads with Automatically Download Updates in Program Settings. If YES, you can set a time period. If NO, you download when ready.

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS