Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
This post has 8 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 482
Bootjack | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Apr 23 2017 4:56 AM

I am having difficulty setting BDAG as a # 1 Lexicon. I cannot stop Vines (I realize the difference between Dictionaries and Lexicons) from coming up when I click on a word. I've removed it from the priority list and it still keeps coming up first. If I put Vines back in the priority list and put it second third or fourth it still always comes up first when clicking on a word. Please advise. 

ASUS Rogue / 500 GB Samsung SSD / 500 GB HD / 16 Gigs of RAM/ Logos 8 Full Feature Set / Faithlife Connect Essentials 

Posts 482
Bootjack | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 23 2017 5:25 AM

Sorry. I think I got this figured out (again). I think if I understand it correctly, BDAG has not the Strongs numbers with it so I cannot have it come up first. If I am in error, straighten me out. Thanks! 

ASUS Rogue / 500 GB Samsung SSD / 500 GB HD / 16 Gigs of RAM/ Logos 8 Full Feature Set / Faithlife Connect Essentials 

Posts 21877
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 23 2017 5:57 AM

If you have BDAG prioritised as #1 and double-click on a word whose lemma is in BDAG, that is the lexicon that should be used. It isn't dependent on Strongs numbers 

As you aren't seeing this please give a specific example and explain the steps you are taking,

Posts 482
Bootjack | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 23 2017 8:29 AM

Here's what I've got Graham. Clicking on Library, I take BDAG and drag it over into Prioritize. I put it at the top of the list for Dictionaries and Lexicons. It still will not come up at all clicking on different words. 

I can take the Enhanced Strongs and put that at the top of the list and when I click on a word, it brings up Strongs first ... I say first because I have Vine's opened and I have the Complete Word Study opened up with BDAG. 

Moving BDAG up on the top of Strongs, now clicking on different words, BDAG does not show up first but Strongs still comes up first. 

I'll give you a picture of what it looks like and you can tell me what I'm doing wrong. 

Posts 21877
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 23 2017 9:03 AM

Looks good!

Let's try a specific test. Open a Greek New Testament such as NA27 to 2 Thess 3:1. Click on λοιπός and see which lexicon opens.

Posts 482
Bootjack | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 23 2017 11:00 AM

I'm not able to bring up 2thess 3:1 in the na27. When I do a search, I've all Bibles. Then I click on the verse that is needed. The Hebrew or Greek words will so with the Strong's numbers. Usually I just click on the Strong's number and a Dictionary or Lexicon will open. If I link Bdag with other lexicons or Dictionaries, Strongs Enhanced will now come up because I prioritized that. But when I click on the Bdag tab, this will also give me the same word.

My problem is, I cannot get Bdag to open first whether I click on the number or the Greek word. Obviously there's something I'm missing but you'll have to point it out to me. 

Here's an addition: I've removed the Complete Word Study Dictionary right out of the Prioritized list altogether. When I click on a word, that Dictionary still comes up first. No idea as to why this is doing what it's doing. 

Posts 21877
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 23 2017 12:38 PM

Bootjack:
I'm not able to bring up 2thess 3:1 in the na27

Ok - do you have any Greek New Testaments that you could try this with? I'm just trying to identify a word in a Greek New Testament that is indexed in BDAG

Bootjack:
When I do a search, I've all Bibles. Then I click on the verse that is needed.

Ok - so you're not starting from a particular translation you're starting from a search. I'm not totally sure what you are describing. If you are able to expand and provide some screenshots that would help. 

But if I understand correctly you are doing something like this.

Search for a word such as "apostle" in All Bibles

Then click on one of the verses - such as Matt 10:2 - to get something like this. (And the fact you talk about the Hebrew / Greek words being present along with the Strongs numbers suggest you have the translation set to use its reverse interlinear. If I have misunderstood that please advise. I have showing the inline interlinear but the same would apply if you had the bottom ribbon enabled)

From here - clicking on the Strongs number will open the highest prioritised Lexicon keyed to that number (which BDAG isn't) while double-clicking the lemma will open the highest prioritised lexicon keyed on the Greek lemma (which BDAG is).

Have I understood correctly what you are doing? If so, does my explanation help and what happens if you double-click the lemma?

Posts 482
Bootjack | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 23 2017 1:19 PM

Graham, you have hit it right on the nose (or chin). Double clicking on the Lemma does the trick. I hadn't realized that before. Thank you so much for solving that one for me. You're earned your Star Bucks today!!!  :-) 

Posts 21877
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 23 2017 1:41 PM

Glad to help

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS