Bug 7.7 beta 1: Can't search for secondary Longacre Genres

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
This post has 11 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 13342
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, May 12 2017 5:49 PM

To reproduce:

1. Open a Bible to Acts 4:29, and open the information panel on the word enable/grant/δὸς
  2. In the Other References section, note that the Longacre Genre includes "Behavioral: Hortatory" as a secondary label.
  3. Right click on the word enable/grant/δὸς, and look for the Longacre Genre on the righthand side. Notice that on hover, both the primary and secondary genres are listed.
  4. Right click on the "Behavioral: Hortatory" link in the information panel, select the Longacre Genre datatype, and choose "Search all open resources".

Result:

• Acts 4:29 does not get highlighted, nor appear in the search results.

Expected result:

• That Acts 4:29 is part of the search results for this search.

Please note:

• You can reproduce the same problem with the word "knowledge" in Luke 11:52
  • There is a second bug in that the context menu only searches for the primary genre, whilst displaying both genres. Perhaps both genres should be listed separately in the context menu.
Posts 13342
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 25 2017 1:57 AM

Bump.

Posts 2562
LogosEmployee
Philana R. Crouch | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 25 2017 12:14 PM

I'll take a look at this, thanks for reporting it.

Posts 2562
LogosEmployee
Philana R. Crouch | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 25 2017 12:52 PM

Mark,

The reason why that reference doesn't show up is that the search {Section <LongacreGenre = Behav: Hort>} only works on primary genres not secondary. The search needs to be modified, and you can find info here: https://ref.ly/logosres/cidbdoclgenre;art=art6. Right-clicking from the info panel will determine if it's secondary or primary genre.

Mark Barnes:

• There is a second bug in that the context menu only searches for the primary genre, whilst displaying both genres. Perhaps both genres should be listed separately in the context menu.

Do you not get the following search?

{Label Longacre Genre WHERE Primary ~ <LongacreGenre Narrative: Story> AND Secondary ~ <LongacreGenre Behavioral: Hortatory>}

Posts 13342
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 26 2017 1:06 AM

Philana R. Crouch:

Mark Barnes:

Do you not get the following search?

{Label Longacre Genre WHERE Primary ~ <LongacreGenre Narrative: Story> AND Secondary ~ <LongacreGenre Behavioral: Hortatory>}

I was referring to right-clicking on the secondary genre in the information panel. When you search from there you get {Section <LongacreGenre = Behav: Hort>}, which doesn't even find the result the search was executed from. It would be better if both primary and secondary created appropriate label searches.

Thanks for the link to the help file, which is very helpful. However, there's a bug in the documentation.

greek:λόγος AND {Label Longacre Genre WHERE Primary ~ <LongacreGenre Narrative: Story>}

should read

greek:λόγος INTERSECTS {Label Longacre Genre WHERE Primary ~ <LongacreGenre Narrative: Story>}

The former will find false positives in a basic search (e.g. Luke 7, John 1, etc.).

Posts 2562
LogosEmployee
Philana R. Crouch | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 31 2017 10:50 AM

Mark Barnes:

I was referring to right-clicking on the secondary genre in the information panel. When you search from there you get {Section <LongacreGenre = Behav: Hort>}, which doesn't even find the result the search was executed from. It would be better if both primary and secondary created appropriate label searches.

I'm looking into how this was implemented and will follow up when I hear back.

Posts 113
LogosEmployee
Jeremy Thompson (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 31 2017 11:59 AM

Hi Mark:

I'm glad to see you are working with the Longacre data! It's possible I'm misunderstanding, but I ran these two searches:

Mark Barnes:

greek:λόγος AND {Label Longacre Genre WHERE Primary ~ <LongacreGenre Narrative: Story>}

should read

greek:λόγος INTERSECTS {Label Longacre Genre WHERE Primary ~ <LongacreGenre Narrative: Story>}

And, I get the same verse lists for each:

Can you show me the bug that results for you?

Thanks,

Jeremy

Posts 791
LogosEmployee
Eli Evans (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 31 2017 12:32 PM

I take it that Mark's point is that the AND operator will match more generously than INTERSECTS by definition. In this example, the two queries coincidentally happen to produce the same results, as you found. However, that won't necessarily happen for every example.

I don't know this data set very well, so maybe that coincidence holds for all cases, but generally speaking, I agree w/Mark that the Help documentation should encourage INTERSECTS here because of how that example may be generalized by users and applied to other similar situations involving other label sets. Best to say what we really mean (X overlaps the range of text occupied by Y) not something that also happens to work in some/many/all cases (X and Y both occur inside of the range of text defined by the search container, ie, a verse).

Posts 113
LogosEmployee

Makes sense. I'll update the documentation.

Posts 2562
LogosEmployee
Philana R. Crouch | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 31 2017 4:51 PM

Mark Barnes:

Mark,

I've written up a case for this.

Posts 13342
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 31 2017 11:23 PM

Jeremy Thompson (Faithlife):

Makes sense. I'll update the documentation.

Sorry I missed your earlier query. But Eli said what I would have said. 

If you want to see the difference, run a basic search in a bible, rather than a bible search. Basic searches set the article length to a chapter, rather than a verse, and therefore the AND query gives false positives. 

Posts 113
LogosEmployee

Update to the documentation is in queue. 

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS