Why does Logos perform indexing multiple times during an update?

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
This post has 11 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 23
Bob Price | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, May 17 2017 9:39 PM

This has happened to me several times, and I wish it wouldn't do this.  I turned off automatic updates, because it seemed like an update would happen at the most inopportune times, following by a lengthy indexing, which rendered my computer fairly worthless until it finished.  So, now, I wait until I see that a decent-sized update is available.  It downloads, then says "preparing library...".  Following this, it will start indexing, after telling me that resources will be added the next time I reboot.  I wait for the indexing to complete, then restart Logos.  The new resources are added, but now it'll start indexing all over again.  Arrrgghhh!  This can be very annoying when you're trying to get stuff done, but the computer is very slow.  

I know that the power and speed of the searches is due to the indices, so I'm just ranting a bit, but I do wish there were some way for the indexing operation to be sped up.  First world problem, right?  I am grateful for Logos and all it does for my Bible study.  

Posts 11757
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 17 2017 11:35 PM

Most files can be updated without needing to restart Logos. Using your current workflow these will download and index first. A few files require a restart to update. These are files that are in use, such as the datasets behind Factbook, or resources you have open. Using your current workflow these will be updated later and will trigger indexing again.

If your aim is not to have indexing whilst you're using your computer, the best workflow might be one of the following:

1. Pause the indexing after the first download, and unpause it after the start.
  2. OR, trigger the download when you're about to finish using your computer, then close Logos but leave your computer switched on. The download/indexing will continue in the background even if Logos is closed. When you return to your computer, everything should be finished. 

PS - on reasonably fast machines, especially those with an SSD, indexing is not a huge issue. I barely notice it, and I have a large library with long indexing times. My PC is at least two years old, but it has lots of RAM and a fast SSD. 

Posts 1445
LogosEmployee

Mark Barnes:

OR, trigger the download when you're about to finish using your computer, then close Logos but leave your computer switched on. The download/indexing will continue in the background even if Logos is closed. When you return to your computer, everything should be finished. 

It used to be the case that Logos would continue to download while not running, but this is no longer true. The application must be running for updates to be downloaded.

If you happen to be paying close attention while the download is happening, you could restart the application after the downloading has finished, but before the "preparing library" notification goes away. This will result in indexing only happening once.

Posts 23
Bob Price | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 18 2017 6:03 AM

Thanks Andrew!  That's good to know, since I was thinking that the second indexing should not be necessary. This makes sense, and I think I will take your advice to eliminate the "hit" of indexing twice. 

Posts 8603
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 18 2017 6:43 AM

My impression, and probably unrelated, is that the downloading doesn't stop when the downloading message reaches 100% and disappears.

During the preparing library, it continues downloading, up to 20-30 min later. Using my get-a-refund-if-no-download policy, I've dumped books that are part of this dribbling process.  I've updated my policy to include no dribbling. 

Posts 1445
LogosEmployee

Denise:

My impression, and probably unrelated, is that the downloading doesn't stop when the downloading message reaches 100% and disappears.

During the preparing library, it continues downloading, up to 20-30 min later. Using my get-a-refund-if-no-download policy, I've dumped books that are part of this dribbling process.  I've updated my policy to include no dribbling. 

If you are talking about the downloading indicator during startup, then this is normal. Most resource updates to not block startup (and therefore do not display in the downloading progress screen there). Startup can also go through a preparing library stage at the same time as background downloading begins.

If you are talking about the blue circle icon in the upper left corner of the main window, then we are not aware of any instances where active downloading is not reported in that notification. It is normal for downloading and preparing library to happen at the same time. Preparing library can happen multiple times throughout a long download process. This is done so that downloaded books can be more quickly integrated into the library. In this situation, the blue notification icon will show a "2" or "3", and hovering or clicking on the icon will show both activities. If you are seeing that downloading is occurring without a corresponding notification, then it's a bug, and I would love to see a screenshot and a log file so we can try to fix it.

Posts 8603
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 18 2017 4:52 PM

Yes, your 2nd paragraph.

I used the word impression, since it's not clear what the software is doing at any given point. I typically run into it, when I buy something (and update at that point). Not set for auto-download, I click on that. Then sit and watch it download updates, usually also a program update. As you say, it's also preparing library. When the download finishes up (100%; msg gone), I used to shut the internet off, ready settings for no internet (requiring a restart) and wait for all to finish preparing (thense indexing).

The above is when I noticed quite often (every time) no purchase downloaded (ergo refunds). This time, leaving the internet on,  I noticed downloads well after the end of downloading ... 3-5 min later, per my internet monitor (only Logos downloads).  And the appearance of my purchase. Ergo my new updated refund policy.

Next time I buy I'll turn on the log (or it's auto?).

I periodically see people say no downloaded purchase. Or multiple re-starts needed. I suspect a similar experience.

Posts 1445
LogosEmployee

Denise:

Yes, your 2nd paragraph.

I used the word impression, since it's not clear what the software is doing at any given point. I typically run into it, when I buy something (and update at that point). Not set for auto-download, I click on that. Then sit and watch it download updates, usually also a program update. As you say, it's also preparing library. When the download finishes up (100%; msg gone), I used to shut the internet off, ready settings for no internet (requiring a restart) and wait for all to finish preparing (thense indexing).

The above is when I noticed quite often (every time) no purchase downloaded (ergo refunds). This time, leaving the internet on,  I noticed downloads well after the end of downloading ... 3-5 min later, per my internet monitor (only Logos downloads).  And the appearance of my purchase. Ergo my new updated refund policy.

Next time I buy I'll turn on the log (or it's auto?).

I periodically see people say no downloaded purchase. Or multiple re-starts needed. I suspect a similar experience.

Ah, I understand now. It sounds to me like you are attempting to update before the new purchase has been applied to your license, so it downloads everything it's aware of, and then some minutes later when it automatically does a check for any changes to your licenses, it sees the newly purchased resource and starts downloading. It shouldn't automatically start downloading these, but it probably does because another update is already running.

I'll take a look at this tomorrow and see if I can spot where the problem is. If you see it happen again, I'd definitely like to get a copy of your log file.

Posts 8603
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 18 2017 8:15 PM

Thank you!

Posts 1445
LogosEmployee

I can't find anything in particular that indicates a problem in this area, so I'll need to see some logs in order to determine exactly what's happening. You can find details on collecting logs here: https://wiki.logos.com/Diagnostic_Logging Note that logging needs to be enabled before you start the application.

Posts 2440
Doc B | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 19 2017 11:27 AM

Bob Price:
I wish it wouldn't do this

You aren't alone. I've had it cycle through as many as four (4) indexing sequences during one update. It is incredibly frustrating.

I now only allow updates every other month or so, as it can take an hour or more with no computer function just to do an update.

I know there are explanations given, but they don't lessen the frustration with how the software functions during updates. I used to be a lot more patient with the updates/indexing. I'm getting less and less so.

My thanks to the various MVPs. Without them Logos would have died early. They were the only real help available.

Faithlife Corp. owes the MVPs free resources for life.

Posts 44
Cale Judd | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 22 2017 9:59 PM

Mark Barnes:

PS - on reasonably fast machines, especially those with an SSD, indexing is not a huge issue. I barely notice it, and I have a large library with long indexing times. My PC is at least two years old, but it has lots of RAM and a fast SSD. 

I concur. Replacing my HDD with a SSD made a tremendous difference in the way Logos performs on my laptop. Just be sure you get a big enough SSD and that you don't then overfill it. These drives will slow very noticeably if you utilize much more than half of their working storage capacity. After installing an SSD I also doubled my RAM, but the increased RAM didn't make any discernible difference in performance. Switching to the SSD, however, was like going from a dial-up modem to high-speed cable.

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS
Copyright 1992-2015 Faithlife / Logos Bible Software.