Focus. An old UI principle.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
This post has 6 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 8296
Denise | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, May 18 2017 6:58 AM

I didn't put this in a bug report, etc. The problem is immune to fixing, going back to Molassas4.

See the image below (photo; I keep the PC off-line). Note the blue-line tab is CNNTS in the lower right corner. In theory, this tab should respond to page up or down.  But actually the page up/down is attached to NAB in the upper-left (the active-panel prior to selecting CNNTS).  The problem is touching the tab to establish focus is not the same as touching the text area, for attaching focus.

The other focus issue going way back, is a right-click selection of a resource in a layout (which is not showing currently) will not be moved into viewing ... the selected tab remains hidden as if the user really didn't want to actually look at the resource (and thus no highlighted tab visible).

So, it goes.

Posts 3413
BillS | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 18 2017 9:26 AM

IFYP (I feel your pain).

The Grace & Peace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you!
Bill

W8.1 64bit, Office 2016
i7, 2.40GHz, 1Gb graphics, 16Gb RAM, 512Gb Samsung 850 Pro SSD
HTC One M8, Android 6.21.605.3

Posts 1428
Gao Lu | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 19 2017 4:45 AM

Posts 8296
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 19 2017 8:47 AM

Well, gee. That took some work!

Maybe appropriate ... required a 15 mile wide asteroid to put the little guys out, after millions of years (in theory; of course this may well have been just prior to the Egyptian pharoahs).

But indeed, the Libby use of Windows forced a bit of decent UI design.

Posts 960
LogosEmployee
Philana R. Crouch | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 19 2017 9:23 AM

Denise:

See the image below (photo; I keep the PC off-line). Note the blue-line tab is CNNTS in the lower right corner. In theory, this tab should respond to page up or down.  But actually the page up/down is attached to NAB in the upper-left (the active-panel prior to selecting CNNTS).  The problem is touching the tab to establish focus is not the same as touching the text area, for attaching focus.

Denise,

I'll take a look at this.

Denise:

The other focus issue going way back, is a right-click selection of a resource in a layout (which is not showing currently) will not be moved into viewing ... the selected tab remains hidden as if the user really didn't want to actually look at the resource (and thus no highlighted tab visible).

I'm a little unclear about what you are describing here. Do you mean right-clicking on the resource tab itself? Could you clarify what you are trying to do and what you are expecting to happen? I'd like to investigate this and if needed get a bug report filed.

Posts 8296
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 19 2017 9:47 AM

Hi, Philana

There's two focus issues:

1. Normally, when you click on a tab (left mouse or finger), focus would shift to that tab's contents in Windows and iOS  However. In the example above (screen-pic), focus was on the NAB text (page-up/down attached to NAB text). Clicking on the CNNTS tab moved the tab highlight (blue-stripe). But the page-up/down remained with NAB. Only by clicking on CNNTS's text box could focus shift.

2. Let's say you have a layout with lots of tabs (as in the screen-pic above). Of course, for a panel, some tabs will be hidden (both tab and associated text box).  On another showing panel, you right-click a word for lookup, and select a resource (which is in your layout, but tab hidden). The result, is it will shift to the resource, but not move the tab display to not-hidden. Ergo, no blue-striped tab visible. Normally, I have to remember where the resource is, but it gets tiresome to remember.

In both cases (at least for me, and presuming repeatable!), it's in the discipline of coding. Object hierarchies, and tab management.

Posts 8296
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 19 2017 10:52 AM

Ok, I was Bible studying some more on that layout above. I noticed some more.

In my para #1 above, I'd give up trying to track it down. From what I can see, the slippage is while moving between layout windows,  after switching to the above window, paging NAB, then clicking on the CNTTS tab. When I was checking CNTTS again, the window lost keyboard access (up/down, etc; no panels responded). I'd give up.  Obviously not many would ever notice.

In my para #2 above, I also noticed, the coding doesn't make sure a tab for a resource text box is visible. I noticed this, when I wanted to hover the tab to see the resource info, but the tab was nowhere to be found ... hidden.  I've no idea how that could happen!  In the screen-pic above, the Majority text apparatus (left of CNTTS) doesn't have its tab displayed (hidden to the far right).

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS
Copyright 1992-2015 Faithlife / Logos Bible Software.