How do I move my entire installation to a different drive on the same computer? (Vista)

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
This post has 9 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 8
Gwynn Fuqua | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Mar 25 2010 11:38 PM

When I purchased Logos 4, my laptop drive was short on space, so I installed L4 to an external drive. Since then I have replaced my laptop drive with a larger drive, so I'd like to move or re-install L4 to my laptop drive but I don't want to keep L4 on the external drive. At the end of the operation I want L4 to exist only on the laptop drive. How should I proceed? Do I have to re-download everything? 

I looked at several related threads but none of them seemed to apply to my situation. I also did a search of support articles but the articles that looked like they might apply contained no text when I clicked the links.

(NOTE: In case it makes any difference, this was not an upgrade from Logos 3. I have only ever had Logos 4.) 

Please advise.

Thanks!

Gwynn

Posts 26528
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 26 2010 12:23 AM

Sure. Try one of the Methods at http://wiki.logos.com/Quick_Installation_onto_multiple_computers. This requires you to:

• take a complete backup (probably on the external drive)
  • uninstall L4  (which deletes most of the original installation)
  • install using Method 2 (fast custom install) or Method 3 (saves downloading only).

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 1178
David Wilson | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 26 2010 4:22 AM

If your new hard drive is large enough to give you more free space than you currently need, then you could consider creating a special partition for Logos 4 and assigning to it the same drive letter as you had been using for your external drive.  Then you should only need to copy the path to which you installed Logos 4 originally.

Posts 8
Gwynn Fuqua | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 27 2010 10:04 AM

David,

Thanks so much for your elegant solution! After checking out the methods in the wiki I decided there was too much room for error there (and too many disclaimers), so I created a new partition, copied the directory and changed my drive letters. I brought up L4 and everything is lovely. 

Peace,

Gwynn

Big Smile

Posts 26528
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 27 2010 2:34 PM

Gwynn Fuqua:
After checking out the methods in the wiki I decided there was too much room for error there (and too many disclaimers),

It's just that David forgot to add his disclaimersBig Smile

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 1178
David Wilson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 27 2010 2:54 PM

Embarrassed

Disclaimer: Isaiah 50:9a

Posts 26528
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 27 2010 3:33 PM

David J. Wilson:

Embarrassed

Disclaimer: Isaiah 50:9a

Ouch!

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 8
Gwynn Fuqua | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 29 2010 10:42 PM

It's ok, guys. I went with the method that made the most sense to me, and it worked. Thanks to both of you!

Peace,

Gwynn

Geeked

Posts 26528
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 29 2010 11:24 PM

Gwynn Fuqua:

It's ok, guys. I went with the method that made the most sense to me, and it worked. Thanks to both of you!

Peace

It was smiley's all round! I would have taken that option as well.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 1178
David Wilson | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 30 2010 6:05 AM

Smile

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS