Need help with personal books of sermons

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
This post has 5 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 35
Leigh Johnson | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, May 29 2017 9:40 AM

I have 5 personal books of my sermons (not wanting any one to be too large).  Each sermon contains the special formatting for sermon personal books:

Sermon File Type

Sermon

Passages

Matt. 6:5-15; Phil. 4:6

Topics

Church

Tags

Date

11/8/98

Venues

Hope Valley

I've created a collection with just these books to search on.  When I search by Scripture passage they will show up in the Sermon Guide, and when I search by My Tag they will show up (the Tag field is used to indicate Occasion - Advent, Pentecost, Reformation Sunday, etc.)  The problem is when I want to search by Topic.  I know I can check the index of each individual book for the topic, but I would like a search to pull up the sermons I have preached on a particular topic.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Leigh

Posts 24847
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 29 2017 6:31 PM

Leigh Johnson:
I would like a search to pull up the sermons I have preached on a particular topic.

A normal search won't do that and only Faithlife can create topics that are accessible via Topic Guide and Factbook. But your sermon PB's can provide access to/from other resources with the same topic name. For example:

The Topic Guide provides resources for the topic "Sin". If I open "The HarperCollins Bible Dictionary (Revised)" its Parallel Resource button will list other resources with that same topic name, and it happens to include my Personal Book "Sermons 1". Conversely, a topic in "Sermons 1" can provide access to other resources via its Parallel Resource button.

So try to use topic names that you can find in the Topic Guide.

Leigh Johnson:
I know I can check the index of each individual book for the topic,

You will still have to do that if the topic is applied to multiple sermons.

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 24847
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 29 2017 10:12 PM

The alternative is to put your sermon PB's in a Series i.e. select the books in Library, click on Resource Information (i), and click Set series for all. When you enter a topic into the Find box of one sermon book it will be found within the books of that series. Check its Index (in TOC) if the topic is applied to multiple sermons, and also use its Parallel Resource button to check for the same topic in other sermon books. This way, your topics don't have to conform to Topic Guide names.

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 9966
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 30 2017 12:41 AM
Actually, I think the best way to do this is to have the sermons in one Logos resource. You can build this PB from as many docx files you like, but the automatic indexes in the back will then be complete and the one stop to go for.

Running Logos 8 latest beta version on Win 10

Posts 35
Leigh Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 30 2017 7:45 PM

I've thought of this, but with over 1,000 sermons it would be quite a project putting them all in alphabetical order for the TOC.

Posts 9966
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 30 2017 9:09 PM

Leigh Johnson:

I've thought of this, but with over 1,000 sermons it would be quite a project putting them all in alphabetical order for the TOC.

Logos will create the Indexes, so you don't have to put them in alphabetical order  (May use chronological or whatever you have them in todsy).

Running Logos 8 latest beta version on Win 10

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS