Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
This post has 3 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 10
Tony | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Jun 20 2017 4:31 AM

I want to determine if Caiaphas was a Levite or if he was from the Aaronic line?  Need some tips on how to find that information.  The biblical people tool doesn't take me all the way back to show his geneology 

Posts 8601
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 20 2017 5:26 AM

Tony:

I want to determine if Caiaphas was a Levite or if he was from the Aaronic line?  Need some tips on how to find that information.  The biblical people tool doesn't take me all the way back to show his geneology 

That is because there is no genealogy of Caiaphas in the Bible.  That is all that the Biblical people tool draws from.

Truth Is Still Truth Even if You Don't Believe It

Check the Wiki

Warning: Sarcasm is my love language. I may inadvertently express my love to you.

Posts 10178
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 20 2017 9:07 AM

Adding to TC, Caiaphus hints at his lineage in his likely Jerusalem tomb, as regards (literally) hard data.

Regarding best approach, search "second temple" and either priesthood or aaronic. The former spends a lot of time on the Ezra problem (levites).

The best discussion, if you have it, is Whole Works of Lightfoot Vol 9, chap 5, where he discusses each of the high priests, primarily drawing from the Talmud, OT, and Josephus. A more general discussion, and quite good, is in JPS's Leviticus commentary (not Caiaiphus specifically).

And finally Qumran's angry bees.

Posts 8601
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 20 2017 9:24 AM

Thanks Denise, I may chase down some of that for my own enlightenment.

Truth Is Still Truth Even if You Don't Believe It

Check the Wiki

Warning: Sarcasm is my love language. I may inadvertently express my love to you.

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS