Identifying Frequently Occurring Words

Page 1 of 1 (19 items)
This post has 18 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 79
George Ruddell | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Mar 31 2010 9:36 AM

Hello

I am working on an exegetical survey of Paul's Letter to the Colossians. How do I use Logos 4.0 to pick out the frequently occurring words and then print a report with each verse in which the words occur? Can I do this in both English and Greek?

It would be wonderful if Logos revealed some of the structural relationships in the letter. Alas, I think I will have to work that out myself!!!

Thank you in anticipation.

George Ruddell (in Northern Ireland)

Posts 582
Gary O'Neal | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 31 2010 10:18 AM

George Ruddell:
I am working on an exegetical survey of Paul's Letter to the Colossians. How do I use Logos 4.0 to pick out the frequently occurring words and then print a report with each verse in which the words occur? Can I do this in both English and Greek?

George

Check out this post - http://community.logos.com/forums/p/14070/108807.aspx.

George Ruddell:
It would be wonderful if Logos revealed some of the structural relationships in the letter. Alas, I think I will have to work that out myself!!!

The OpenText and Cascadia Syntax resources do a lot of this on the clause and sentence level. That will give you a start if you have these resources.

πάντα εἰς δόξαν θεοῦ ποιεῖτε

Posts 5337
Kevin Becker | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 31 2010 10:26 AM

Logos can't directly do everything you are asking for right now.

However, using the Analysis view will get you started in the right direction. From a Morph search do things like @V and @N with an analysis view and then sort by lemma (grab the header and drag to the sort area) it'll look something like this:

Passage lists (formerly verse lists) which are now in testing in the current Beta could be used to go the rest of the way. For example, if from the first result you decided you want to have a chart for οιδα I would then run a Morph search (Verses view) on lemma:οιδα, export it to a passage list, make the passage list display English and Greek text and then copy and paste it into a word processor.

The text needs some formatting in Word, but it works

Sorry to trot out Beta screen captures, but I just wanted to show you what Logos will be able to do.

If you don't want to use the Beta you can export results from the analysis view, sort them in Excel or some other spreadsheet program and then copy a list of references to a txt file and use Libronix to import those verses into its verse list tool.

Posts 838
Dewayne Davis | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 31 2010 10:50 AM

You can do a wild card search, then sort any way you want.

“... every day in which I do not penetrate more deeply into the knowledge of God’s Word in Holy Scripture is a lost day for me. I can only move forward with certainty upon the firm ground of the Word of God.”

Posts 24928
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 31 2010 4:54 PM

Dewayne Davis:

You can do a wild card search, then sort any way you want.

8 minutes later...

I hope Logos optimise wild card searches like that.

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 838
Dewayne Davis | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 31 2010 5:20 PM

Dave Hooton:
8 minutes later...

The book of Romans took 9 minutes. Could use just a little tweaking. Big Smile

554.35 sec to be exact.

“... every day in which I do not penetrate more deeply into the knowledge of God’s Word in Holy Scripture is a lost day for me. I can only move forward with certainty upon the firm ground of the Word of God.”

Posts 5337
Kevin Becker | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 31 2010 6:46 PM

Dewayne Davis:

Dave Hooton:
8 minutes later...

The book of Romans took 9 minutes. Could use just a little tweaking. Big Smile

554.35 sec to be exact.

This is why I suggested multiple searches @N and @V plus any other part of speech desired. Wildcard searches take way to long!

Posts 79
George Ruddell | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 1 2010 9:46 AM

Hi Everyone

Thank you for your help. I have another question. Is it possible, in Logos, to quickly identify all of the Greek verbs in Colossians in the imperative mood? I realise that I could do this by scanning the English. However, I wonder if it could be done with precision in the Greek.

Thank you.

George

Posts 5337
Kevin Becker | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 1 2010 10:57 AM

George Ruddell:
Thank you for your help. I have another question. Is it possible, in Logos, to quickly identify all of the Greek verbs in Colossians in the imperative mood? I realise that I could do this by scanning the English. However, I wonder if it could be done with precision in the Greek.

Yes, run a morph search or create a visual filter to highlight imperatives.

The code for the Logos Morph is @V??M

If you need more details consult the wiki:

http://wiki.logos.com/Search_HELP (Especially item #10)
http://wiki.logos.com/Visual_Filter

Posts 79
George Ruddell | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 1 2010 11:10 AM

Kevin

Thank you for your help. I ran that search and it brought up all of the imperatives. That was amazing! Thank you. Can I ask another question? Is it possible to use Logos to help with diagramming Greek sentences? I am sure that you know what I mean. Can Logos provide any syntactical analysis of sentences? This is probably asking too much!!!

Thank you again.

George

Posts 26527
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 1 2010 11:17 AM

George Ruddell:
Is it possible to use Logos to help with diagramming Greek sentences? I am sure that you know what I mean. Can Logos provide any syntactical analysis of sentences? This is probably asking too much!!!

The diagramming function is anticipated this quarter. Yes, there are three syntactic resources - OpenText, Lexham and Cascadia, Check your resource library.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 5337
Kevin Becker | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 1 2010 2:16 PM

George, Let me expand on MJ's answer.

OpenText.org and Cascadia use tree-like diagrams to indicate syntactic relationships like Subject, Verb, Object, Adverb etc. Both have glossaries to explain their specific terminologies. Cascadia is easiest to use because its terminology is close to a standard grammars. Here are some screen-captures of these resources' syntax graphs:

Opentext

Cascadia

The Lexham syntax resources focus more on delineating clauses, phrases and their relationship between each other. The Lexham graphs are not as helpful as the Opentext and Cascadia ones, but I really like the Clausal Outlines which spatially arranges the text to help you see the flow of thought.

The Lexham syntax family also include an book of Expansions and Annotations that gives syntactic force of each word, very helpful when pondering how a word is being used (many times different options are given).

Of course, you may not have all of these resources, it depends on your base package.

Posts 79
George Ruddell | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 1 2010 3:40 PM

Kevin

Thank you for taking time to help me. Thank you to everyone else too. I have all of the resources you have referred to. Is it easy to print out this material direct from Logos 4.0? I have had problems sometimes printing from Logos. Normally I just cut and paste into word. However, that may not be so easy with these types of resources.

Thank you again.

George

Posts 26527
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 1 2010 3:48 PM

George Ruddell:
Is it easy to print out this material direct from Logos 4.0?

Well, the function hasn't created many bug reports ... mainly because the print function is not in place yet except for the handout. The intent is for one to cut and paste into the publisher of your choice.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 5337
Kevin Becker | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 1 2010 5:04 PM

George Ruddell:
Is it easy to print out this material direct from Logos 4.0?

Logos 4 can't print much right now Tongue Tied

However, the Syntax graphs can't be printed in Libronix either, you had to copy and paste them into another program (as an image) to print them (so in this case L3 and L4 function the same). If you want to print out the Lexham annotations or clausal outlines directly you could use Libronix if you don't want to use Copy and Paste.

Posts 79
George Ruddell | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 1 2010 5:12 PM

Kevin

Thank you for your great help. I am trying to diagram Colossians 2:20-23 and 3:1-4 for a Greek Syntax assignment. The Logos resources are really helpful. However, although I understand what is going on within the sentence, I am very uncertain about how precisely to lay out my diagram. I will struggle on.

Thank you again.

George

Posts 1539
Terry Poperszky | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 1 2010 5:46 PM

This post definitely goes on my favorites. I am hoping that techniques like these will be taught in the Greek/Hebrew video series that is coming out.

Posts 26527
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 1 2010 10:23 PM

George Ruddell:
am very uncertain about how precisely to lay out my diagram

Use Kantenwein's Diagrammatic Analysis, if you have it.

Posts 4508
Robert Pavich | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 2 2010 5:41 AM

I agree with Terry, this one is bookmarked.

Robert Pavich

For help go to the Wiki: http://wiki.logos.com/Table_of_Contents__

Page 1 of 1 (19 items) | RSS