Indexing Questions?

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
This post has 4 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 123
Fred Littlefield | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Jul 15 2017 8:25 AM

I just installed Logos7 on my new PC. I installed it the with a normal installation, allowing all the resources to be downloaded. When Indexing began I could not wait for the whole index to complete so I closed Logos7 before the index had completed. After a restart, indexing began again all over and only got to about 50% after all night indexing, and filled up my memory (32GB) and crashed the system. I had to restart and start over again. It is at 49% after indexing all night last night.

What happens to the index when it is not completed during the first attempt? Below is the Wiki on indexing, where it says to "Allow the indexing to complete the first time it runs without pausing or restarting the program". It does not say what happens if you do stop, pause, or restart the program.

Indexing Tips and Info

Allow indexing to complete the first time it runs without pausing or restarting the program. Once the main Library index is built, you will be able to quickly search your entire library.

Any other suggestions on indexing? Tips? Tricks?

Posts 13348
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 15 2017 10:06 AM

Fred Littlefield:
I just installed Logos7 on my new PC. I installed it the with a normal installation, allowing all the resources to be downloaded. When Indexing began I could not wait for the whole index to complete so I closed Logos7 before the index had completed. After a restart, indexing began again all over and only got to about 50% after all night indexing, and filled up my memory (32GB) and crashed the system. I had to restart and start over again. It is at 49% after indexing all night last night.

Hi Fred,

First-time indexing shouldn't take all that long — a few hours, unless you have a huge library or a very slow computer.

Can you clarify what you're taking about when you see Logos filled up 32Gb memory? Are you referring to disk space, or RAM. 32Gb is very low if you're taking about disk space, but very high if you're talking about RAM. If you do mean disk space, that could certainly be the problem.

To help us diagnoses the issue, take a look in your Documents folder, and look for a folder called Logos Log Files, and upload all the files in that folder. You can zip them first if that makes it easier.

Posts 123
Fred Littlefield | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 15 2017 7:56 PM

Thanks, Mark.

The 32 MB is the RAM I have. The only thing I have running, besides this browser, is Logos and the Task manager says that most of my memory is being consumed by Logos Bible Software Indexer. My CPU is a new Ryzen 1800X and is not running over 12% even with the indexer running. My library is only Bronze plus several other books that I bought, I have 1286 books according to my Library Search box. I have installed Logos on a couple of other computers and the indexing went just fine. today the indexer ran all day and went from 49% to 55%.

Where can I upload these files from "Logos Log Files"?

Posts 24850
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 15 2017 9:32 PM

Fred Littlefield:
Task manager says that most of my memory is being consumed by Logos Bible Software Indexer.

10 GB is most of  the 14.9 GB (47%)  that is in use. Without the Indexer my laptop uses about 51% of its 8 GB memory.

Fred Littlefield:
the indexer ran all day and went from 49% to 55%.

Something wrong there!

Fred Littlefield:
Where can I upload these files from "Logos Log Files"?

You need to enable logging then kill the Indexer if running and restart Logos. Compress (zip) the Log Files folder and attach the zip file using the paper-clip icon. Wait until at least 20% has been indexed before zipping the folder.

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 2394
David Ames | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 16 2017 5:58 PM

There is a very useful person called alabama24  
One of his post is at https://community.logos.com/forums/p/146409/910993.aspx#910993  
He has a signature line telling how to turn logging on
Click on Mac Logs or PC Logs in that post If the link From Dave Hooton does not work  

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS