Where does the lone beginner start?

Page 1 of 2 (24 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 23 Replies | 4 Followers

Posts 11
Annie Jensen | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Jul 26 2017 12:39 PM

I'm new to Logos and need to get started learning it on my own, since I'm not part of a community/school/education. The tutorials, commercials, deals and information is an impossible mass to navigate without guidance. Where to start? My objective is to work with bible texts and commentaries only. Not sermon notes or prep. I'll love you forever, if you can help me get started. :)

Posts 955
Keith Pang | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 26 2017 12:43 PM

You can check out the quickstart videos in your library. You can also look at the course how to study the bible with Logos that is included with most base packages in Logos 7. Or you can check out learnlogos.com 

Shalom, in Christ, Keith. Check out my music www.soundcloud.com/kpang808

Posts 3808
Forum MVP
Fredc | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 26 2017 12:49 PM

There are many excellent support videos on the Logos Pro site

You can also find some practical and affordable training at www.learnlogos.com

Morris Proctor, who is the official trainer for Logos, offer Camp Logos DVD's. These can be purchased from the Logos site. They are a little expensive from my perspective, but Morris does an excellent job.

Diagnostic Logging

Grow in your personal relationship with Christ; so you can help others come into and grow in a personal relationship with Christ

Posts 3808
Forum MVP
Fredc | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 26 2017 12:50 PM

I left off the quickstart videos Keith mentioned. Those are good as well.

Diagnostic Logging

Grow in your personal relationship with Christ; so you can help others come into and grow in a personal relationship with Christ

Posts 8670
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 26 2017 1:06 PM

You can get a good start by using the Home Page Go box and typing in a passage or topic and hitting Enter. 

On the Home Page or on the layout page, in the upper right there is the word Layouts. If you click on that it will open a menu that has some pre-made layouts on it (as well as any layouts you have saved). The Home Page Layouts duplicate layouts you would get by starting on the Home Page. The Quick Start Layouts give you other simple layouts you might find useful. Click on one to have it open.

The various Interactives (like Psalm Explorer) have an About button which opens a screen that can help you understand what you are seeing and how to use the interactive.

Logos has built a large number of Search suggestions into the Search tool to make it easier to use. One caution is that not all the suggestions work with different input data, but they will show you how to build a search.

The right click menu in resources gives you many options to quickly search for information or open other Logos tools or resources. Play around with that, esp. in a Bible, to see what the options are.

Don't understand a term? Logos Help (the ? in a circle on the upper right) can often help.

Do a little exploring or learning every day and soon you will feel very comfortable with Logos.

Check out the things I've pointed you toward, but Keith's suggestions, and Fred's suggestion about Logos Pro videos are a good place to start.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 8108
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 26 2017 1:07 PM

Welcome to the forums Annie! In addition to those on-line videos don't forget the obvious of returning to the forums to ask any questions that you may have. I have been blessed over the years by the collective knowledge of this amazing community. Consider it as an integral part of your learning process.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 49
LogosEmployee
John Schwandt | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 26 2017 1:57 PM

If you don't want to hassle with learning how to use tools first, you could consider working through a Mobile Ed book study course.  This would provide links to commentaries, guides, and tools with every segment.

https://www.logos.com/mobile-ed/topics

https://www.logos.com/products/search?Bible+and+Apocrypha=New+Testament&Product+Type=Logos+Mobile+Education

Posts 691
David A Egolf | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 26 2017 5:39 PM

John Schwandt:

If you don't want to hassle with learning how to use tools first, you could consider working through a Mobile Ed book study course.  This would provide links to commentaries, guides, and tools with every segment.

https://www.logos.com/mobile-ed/topics

https://www.logos.com/products/search?Bible+and+Apocrypha=New+Testament&Product+Type=Logos+Mobile+Education

Annie,

You didn't say which product you have.  However, all the Logos 7 sets seem to come with a Mobile Ed course on Jonah which is intended to introduce you to the use of Logos.

If it isn't listed in your resources, you can always order the FREE Logos 7 Basic which will include it.

You might want to visit a previous thread intended to garner advice for new users: http://community.logos.com/forums/p/140699/897026.aspx#897026

David

Posts 149
Alexander Fogassy | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 26 2017 6:06 PM

I was not too long ago in your EXACT position. Trust me, I know how it feels. 

I went through the quickstart videos with Morris Proctor that come with Logos. Those were helfpful, but extremely introductory and left me wanting for more. 

I am in seminary so my intentions are much more academic than pastoral, so I did a little research. 

The Logos team has an "Advanced Academic Training Bundle" which I sampled, but ended up going with a different product. This Mobile Ed seems to be slightly more than beginner, but nothing too in depth. 

Then, after scouring the forums and asking some of my own questions, I came across the "Verbum Advanced Training" course. This series of videos is amazing. I'm two thirds the way through and I am extremely impressed. There are little projects that the tutors do on the screen and talk about what they're doing -- and with my second monitor I actively watch them while I mimic their exact motions in Logos (I mean Verbum). Which reminds me: these two are basically identical (as far as this course is concerned) so don't let the name "verbum" make you think it's not applicable to Logos. 

Now, these videos might best be prefaced by going through the quickstart yourself, or perhaps the "Verbum 360." I haven't gone through that myself, but it's made by the same two people and is meant to be introductory. I presume it is very good. 

After the Advanced series I plan on going through "Verbum Advanced Searching," also made by the same duo. 

And in case you're wondering, I am not Roman Catholic, and these Verbum training videos are in no way "exclusive" to Verbum vs. Logos or Catholic vs. Protestant. 

I hope this helps!

Alex

Posts 11
Annie Jensen | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 27 2017 6:56 AM

Gosh, I'd love to sit down with you guys, shoulder to shoulder, in real time. While you were responding to my question, living in Europe, I was sleeping. Thank you so much for your detailed responses! I find it extremely time consuming to find one's way into a big program like this online. Intro videos are way too slow and basic. Advanced videos way to packed. A jungle.

Anyway, I'm now starting to explore your suggestions. Thanks so much! 

I have the Logos 7 Starter Feature Set with a base package library.

Question. What's the top commentary that you'd recommend purchasing? Wait for a deal? Where's the best place to check out deals?

Best, Anette

Posts 11
Annie Jensen | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 27 2017 7:25 AM

Thanks, Alex. Yes, this was very helpful. :)

Annie

Posts 19569
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 27 2017 7:27 AM

Annie Jensen:
Question. What's the top commentary that you'd recommend purchasing?

What are your areas of interest? (Sorry to answer with some questionsSmile)

Are you looking for:

• something academic
  • something that engages deeply with original languages
  • something that focuses on application
  • something that is more devotional in nature
  • something that focuses on NT/OT or spans both

Posts 11
Annie Jensen | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 27 2017 7:32 AM

Which Verbum Advanced Training are you now going through? It seems like there's no basic version, but that all are Advanced Training "Something". And did you really purchase it for $100? :) Best, Annie

Posts 11
Annie Jensen | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 27 2017 7:35 AM

I'm looking for "Something academic" mostly meaning commentaries, cross references, and some word studying. My background training is Theology.

Annie

Posts 11
Annie Jensen | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 27 2017 7:38 AM

Thanks, I found the Jonah training course. A great start, it seems. Just learned how to make notes. :)

Annie

Posts 11
Annie Jensen | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 27 2017 7:38 AM

Thanks, Keith.

Posts 11
Annie Jensen | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 27 2017 7:42 AM

Thank you! It seems like Mobile-Ed consists of actual courses, though. At this point I'm after learning how to master the Logos tools. 

Posts 11
Annie Jensen | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 27 2017 7:43 AM

Thanks, Bruce! 

Posts 11
Annie Jensen | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 27 2017 7:43 AM

Thank you! 

Posts 11
Annie Jensen | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 27 2017 7:45 AM

Hey - those were good starting tips! That's my kind of approach. One little tool at a time... Thanks.

Page 1 of 2 (24 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS