Requesting reading plan generation improvements

Page 2 of 2 (35 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 34 Replies | 4 Followers

Posts 2819
Forum MVP
PetahChristian | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 19 2017 4:08 PM

Phil Gons (Faithlife):
We'll try to ensure Vyrso books benefit from this work as well.

Thanks!

Posts 19
Mike Henry Sr. | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 20 2017 6:10 AM

Phil Gons (Faithlife):

We'll work on some other improvements later, so please feel free to continue to share feedback and ideas, but this should be a good start to address the most critical issues.

As I mentioned in the other thread, longer term we'll likely merge Courses and Reading Plans and create a much more elegant plan builder inside the merged tool.

When you're making changes to the reading plans, could you also look at the logic for how the days are broken up in the bible reading plans?

When I recently generated a reading plan for the Psalms broken on chapter and set it for 40 verses a day, I would expect a chapter break at or near 40 verses to be the end of each day. However there are several occasions where I get one day with a large number of verses followed by several days with very short verse counts. 

Existing:

Day 1 - Ps 89, 90, 91 - 85 verses

Day 2 - Ps 92, 93 - 20 verses

Day 3 - Ps 94, 95, 34 total

Ideal 

Day 1 - Ps 89, 52 verses

Day 2 - Ps 90, and 91, 92 (17, 16, and 15 verses, 48 total)

Day 3 - Ps 93, 94, and 95, (5, 23, 11, 39 total)

I don't understand how this works, but I use custom generated reading plans all the time and I am reminded of this every 4th or 5th day when I have a reading that is much longer than I'd expect followed by one that is much shorter. I expect problems when the chapters exceed 40 verses, but I can't figure out how this works so that I can get it to calculate things the way I'd like.

Or, if anyone can explain the logic to me, I'd appreciate knowing that too. Then maybe I can adapt to the existing logic and get my desired outcome. Thanks!

Posts 8596
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 20 2017 8:47 PM

Phil Gons (Faithlife):

Thanks for your feedback, TC and everyone else.

I had a good initial conversation with the desktop development team on this today. They're all excited to address many of these issues.

Between this and the other thread I'm walking on cloud nine wrt reading plans.  Thank you Phil for posting this response.  

Now if i can just get a "read this later" pile started in my Logos Library, I'll be a happy happy man... wrt reading lists. 

Truth Is Still Truth Even if You Don't Believe It

Check the Wiki

Warning: Sarcasm is my love language. I may inadvertently express my love to you.

Posts 21149
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 2 2017 3:38 AM

Phil Gons (Faithlife):
Here's what we're considering for an upcoming two-week sprint (which could perhaps make it into 7.10 or 7.11), pending a detailed technical review from the team:

Hi Phil

Any update on the likelihood of this in the near future?

I'm planning to start reading some fairly long books soon and just thinking about how to best set up the reading plans.

Thanks, Graham

Posts 2805
Mattillo | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 9 2017 2:55 PM

Phil Gons (Faithlife):

Thanks for your feedback, TC and everyone else.

I had a good initial conversation with the desktop development team on this today. They're all excited to address many of these issues.

Here's what we're considering for an upcoming two-week sprint (which could perhaps make it into 7.10 or 7.11), pending a detailed technical review from the team:

1. Improve the Reference Range Picker for non-Bible reading plans so you can use non-Bible versified datatype reference ranges and, more importantly, the book's table of contents to select what portion of the book you'd like to read. Most likely people will uncheck things like Title Page, Dedication, Contents, Abbreviations, Acknowledges, Scripture Index, etc.
  2. Add a new "at my own pace" frequency option to the current picker and probably make it the default (as least for non-Bibles). These plans wouldn't have a fixed start or end date, and the sessions wouldn't be attached to dates on a calendar.
  3. Bring the session division control (the one that has Default, Chapter, Pericope) over from Bible reading plans and expose options like Chapter, Heading, Page (or perhaps, Level 1 TOC, Level 2 TOC, etc.). There may be a default algorithm that prefers chapter breaks, but might have some smarts to divide longer chapters (in intelligent places!) into multiple sessions and group shorter chapters into a single session. I need to think through this a little more. This feels like the most critical thing to get right.
  4. Make the default for structure-based reading plans "in x sessions," where x is the number of units for the chosen division method (e.g., the number of chapters in the book).
  5. Add a new "Start a reading plan" option to the context menu in the Library.
  6. Add a new "Start a reading plan" option in the resource information pane in resources right after the place where we show "You've read x% of this book."

We'll work on some other improvements later, so please feel free to continue to share feedback and ideas, but this should be a good start to address the most critical issues.

As I mentioned in the other thread, longer term we'll likely merge Courses and Reading Plans and create a much more elegant plan builder inside the merged tool.

Thank you Phil. I hope these improvements come soon! I was trying to create a reading plan by chapters for Heiser's new book and gave up. :)

One other suggestion. Add create reading plans to mobile and web app

Posts 21
chacojerald | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 1 2017 12:59 PM

Hi, so glad these items are being addressed: They will make the Reading Plan useful for chapter books! I looked into the free book of the month on the Psalms, and found it so interesting I wanted to read a Psalm a day with the commentary. But the Reading Plan app can't give me a chapter (ie. Psalm & commentary) a day!  And so I came to the forum and found kindred spirits!  Just wondering on the progress?  7.11 SR-1

Posts 19
Mike Henry Sr. | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 14 2018 3:17 AM

Phil Gons (Faithlife):

@Phil, did this idea die? Any chance we'll see an update to reading plans any time soon? I continue to see the problems I've experienced with inconsistent daily selection length.

Posts 34
willy arnold | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 2 2018 7:25 PM

Yeah, what mike said.  What happened to this?  I am especially interested in the "read at your own pace" option.  

On a related side note, it would also be nice to click on that little "You have read __ % of this book" circle and get more detailed information about what chapters / sections we actually have read.  :o)

Thanks!

Posts 2692
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 4 2018 11:20 AM

Phil, are there improvements coming to Reading Plans?

Posts 1687
LogosEmployee
Phil Gons (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 4 2018 12:05 PM

SineNomine:

We initially thought there were some quick-win opportunities with reading plans. It turned out that everything we were exploring was significantly harder than we originally though. So, unfortunately, we had to table this work for later. We'd still love to come back to it, but it's not under active development at the moment. I'm sorry we haven't been able to make these improvements yet.

Posts 2692
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 4 2018 12:57 PM

Phil Gons (Faithlife):
We initially thought there were some quick-win opportunities with reading plans. It turned out that everything we were exploring was significantly harder than we originally though. So, unfortunately, we had to table this work for later. We'd still love to come back to it, but it's not under active development at the moment.

That's fair.

Posts 1469
Forum MVP
Reuben Helmuth | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 4 2018 12:58 PM

Phil Gons (Faithlife):
 We'd still love to come back to it

Thanks for the update, Phil! Are you still thinking a reading plan/course tool merger for the long term?

Posts 1112
Liam | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 29 2018 8:41 AM

Phil Gons (Faithlife):

SineNomine:

We initially thought there were some quick-win opportunities with reading plans. It turned out that everything we were exploring was significantly harder than we originally though. So, unfortunately, we had to table this work for later. We'd still love to come back to it, but it's not under active development at the moment. I'm sorry we haven't been able to make these improvements yet.

Hey Phil! We'd love to hear if there is any continuing progress on this one. Thank you and the Logos team for your work in this direction!

Posts 25579
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 30 2018 12:06 AM

Phil Gons (Faithlife):
We initially thought there were some quick-win opportunities with reading plans. It turned out that everything we were exploring was significantly harder than we originally though

As one who built a couple of the Course "reading plans" - blame me for The Bible Timeline Guide Journal, The 16 Documents of Vatican II .. . I was choosing courses that served the liturgical churches, deliberately selecting a Lutheran Book of Concord reading plan. Why did I think it was a useful case? (a) it has it's own well known reference system (b) there are multiple translations available in Logos (c) the translations differ a bit in format. You can blame me for the lack of such a reading plan in the released Courses as I could find erroneous behavior in each attempt. No, I didn't intentionally jinx the system, I have,in fact, recently requested permission to build the data for some Verbum resources that I think should function well. But I did convince myself that something as "simple" as a common reading plan for a foundation document (Book of Concord) is actually surprisingly difficult.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 89
Kevin | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 9 2019 10:01 PM

Bumping to bring all these suggestions for improvments back to discussions.

Hopefully this has not been shelved completely, and there are there still plans to implement some new tools, or upgrade the current ones.

Having the ability to create shareable modifiable book reading plans/courses, I think would be very beneficial to the community.

Has anyone seen any other updates about this ?

Thanks

Page 2 of 2 (35 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS