Automatic updates Suggestion/Query

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
This post has 3 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 2
James Yeates | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Jul 30 2017 6:40 AM

Dear developers,

Thanks for the great software that we use every week. It is useful in many ways. I have a suggestion/query about the frequency and efficiency of updates. 

I use the product in the UK and nearly every time I run the program, I detects an update. This is probably because I only run it when I am scheduled to preach or if I'm using my laptop to project. 

The update tends to take a rather long time to download but yet I am compelled to see it through each time. In part for good practice and to make sure I have the most functional version but also to avoid any potential compatibility problems between versions for remote control etc. I'm aware many factors affect the speed of update download, my own connection speed not withstanding but does it really require the whole program installer to be downloaded each time I load? 

One of three things would make my personal user experience better and perhaps others too;

1. Reduce the frequency of updates unless there is critical changes that are required

2. Consider patching the install rather than downloading complete installation files

3. find/improve UK file mirrors for the installation files to improve transfer speeds. 

Thanks

Posts 22087
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 30 2017 6:51 AM

Hi James - and welcome to the forums

James Yeates:
The update tends to take a rather long time to download but yet I am compelled to see it through each time

I was intrigued by this as I'm also in the UK and testing the use of Proclaim.

I've just started it up and allowed the prompted update to take place and total time (download and installation) took 1 minute and 10 seconds.

What sort of times are you seeing?

Graham

Posts 2
James Yeates | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 30 2017 7:24 AM

I wonder if I particularly noticed it today because it is performing unusually slow.

In good conditions, (fibre broadband, strong wifi signal) your estimate would be about right but optimal conditions aren't always available in all the locations that I use the software. 

Today I am at home and have just loaded it on my laptop to test the speed, as it happens, it appears my ISP is having problems today as my download speed appears to be capped at 10Mbps instead of the usual 74, but there may be more going on as it has taken over 10 minutes to download 20MB of the installer. 

Pehaps it's just plusnet having issues today - even so, I do think the updates are rather prolific and could be managed in the background or another way?

Thanks

Posts 3501
LogosEmployee
Scott Alexander | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 31 2017 8:40 AM

Thanks for the feedback James. We have plans to make more of the updates a background process which you shouldn't notice. In the meantime sorry for the disruption. 

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS