Netbook and L4. Or L3?

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
This post has 11 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 1384
Ben | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Apr 2 2010 6:34 AM

So, I have a new little Asus 1001p Netbook. (Actually has a bigger hard-drive and the same amount of RAM as my 3+ yr-old Macbook...)

L4 apparently won't run on it because of the weak graphics. But both of my other systems are running L4. How do I generate a license file with L4 so I can just copy over my resources and use it with L3? Or is there a process/FAQ for this somewhere?

"The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of Conservatives is to prevent mistakes from being corrected."- G.K. Chesterton

Posts 5566
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 2 2010 7:20 AM

Ben:

So, I have a new little Asus 1001p Netbook. (Actually has a bigger hard-drive and the same amount of RAM as my 3+ yr-old Macbook...)

L4 apparently won't run on it because of the weak graphics. But both of my other systems are running L4. How do I generate a license file with L4 so I can just copy over my resources and use it with L3? Or is there a process/FAQ for this somewhere?

Have you tried the scripts on this page:

http://www.logos.com/L4/support/Logos4Resources

Make sure you install Logos 3.0g, if you're using Vista, Win7 or IE7, and you may want to run these other scripts to make sure L3 is up to date:

Update to latest version of LDLS (3.0g)

http://www.logos.com/media/update/30gAutoUpdate.lbxupd

Update basic program

http://www.logos.com/media/update/SeriesXAutoUpdate.lbxupd

Update LDLS Addins

http://www.logos.com/media/update/LogosAddinsAutoUpdate.lbxupd

Update LDLS DataFile types

http://www.logos.com/media/update/DataFilesAutoUpdate.lbxupd

Update LDLS Resources
http://www.logos.com/media/update/ResourceAutoUpdate.lbxupd

Isn't it great we don't have to keep running all these scripts in L4?

Help links: WIKI;  Logos 6 FAQ. (Phil. 2:14, NIV)

Posts 2694
DominicM | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 2 2010 9:11 AM

Ben, my netbook is exactly same spec, apart from fact I have upped RAM to 2mb, I get very occasional lag and am happpy with my netbook experience, I would buly anothe netbook for Logos4 tomorrow if mine died.

The only caeat is indexing, will take a couple of days (no joke) I have 3500 resources, will take you al ot less if you just have a basic package, but if you need to turn machine off just hibernate it and indexing will complete fine..

Never Deprive Anyone of Hope.. It Might Be ALL They Have

Posts 579
Jim VanSchoonhoven | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 2 2010 1:36 PM

I also had the same netbook, but with two gigs of ram, and it did run L4, but it did have too much lag time in my experience.

But with two gigs of ram and a little time it ran everything fine, but slow.

L3 ran great on the little thing and I had over 3000 resources in it.

In Christ,

Jim

Posts 2925
Forum MVP
Jacob Hantla | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 2 2010 2:14 PM

Nothing needed to run L3. Just synchronize licenses and stick your discs in or download your resources.

But I too have an ASUS netbook with the same specs and I run L4 without problem.  A bit slow on some things, but I love my netbook for L4.

Jacob Hantla
Pastor/Elder, Grace Bible Church
gbcaz.org

Posts 116
Chris Thompson | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 2 2010 11:36 PM

I have joined the netbook generation, also. Granted, there is time for a sip of coffee while it accesses some files...Is that really a bad thing?

Shouldn't reflection be at the center of our study? This little guy tags along to a babbling brook, or a mountain top. I can breathe in God's awesome creation, while it loads....What's the rush?Smile

Posts 261
Ralph A. Abernethy III | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 3 2010 5:48 AM

I am entirely satisfied with L4's performance on my Asus 1101 Netbook.  True, I did upgrade RAM to 2G.  But the portability factor counts for a lot with me.  Yes, sometimes results aren't instantaneous as they would be with a more powerful computer.  But usually they're pretty darn quick.  And it's worlds faster than pulling all the hard copy books I would otherwise be using off the shelf and opening them up one-by-one.  For me, L4's performance on my Netbook has seemed to improve with each update Logos releases.

As for L3, I no longer have it on my Netbook.  I wasn't using it; it was just redundant.  L4 on my Netbook is now my Bible/theological study program of choice. So it is entirely possible to have a great L4 experience on a Netbook with just a little bit of tweaking.

Sorry to ramble.  A blessed Holy Saturday and Easter Festival to all.

Posts 579
Jim VanSchoonhoven | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 3 2010 7:42 AM

My little notebook got destroyed when I left it on the roof of the car and it flew off at 50 mph and about 30 seconds later another car ran it over.

Like everone is saying it ran L4, but it was slow, if being a little slow doesn't bother you a netbook is really sweet to carry around, it is sooooo handy.

The only reason it didn't work for me is because I teach others how to use bible programs to study the scriptures, and for some people the lag time was too much for them and they became distracted, with the death of my little netbook I moved up to a 13 inch screen that is much more powerful.

It is from the ASUS Ul30A series, it completely rocks when it comes to Logos 4!  Everything is fast in fact when compared with the times posted by other son this forum that are using i7 laptops it is in most cases faster than the times they have posted. I have about 2300 books in L4 and nearly 3300 in Libronix 3.  I can run both programs at the same time and I notice no slowdown.

The truth is I think I could have settled for a less powerful computer with a nice 11in screen and it would have worked Logos 4 like you expect programs to work, with no slow downs at all.

But since I am constantly using mine with other folks I am glad I went with the more powerful one to just to make sure it was fast enough.

I love these little computers they are so handy I don't need anything else to do full blown research or a bible study any where any time!

I am glad to see so many folks are starting to see the up side of these little netbooks, I take mine to church, it is my bible!!!

In Christ,

Jim

Posts 261
Ralph A. Abernethy III | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 3 2010 9:15 AM

Jim, the technology is simply amazing, isn't it?  The ability to take one's library anywhere, whether on a netbook, notebook, laptop, and now, today, on an IPad, is beneficial beyond words.  Logos is the most valuable resource in my arsenal of  Bible/theological study materials.  It is indeed a blessing from God to have it available as we teach and preach God's Word and His gracious work in Christ.

Easter blessings!

Posts 1850
Kenneth Neighoff | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 3 2010 3:43 PM

I use L4 on my AcerOne netbook. I added a second gig of ram. It does help, but I really agree with what was said earlier on this thread, having another sip of coffee is not really a bad thing.

It also comes in handy to do reading anywhere, anytime.

Posts 579
Jim VanSchoonhoven | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 3 2010 3:53 PM

Ralph, it is a great blessing, it is a lot like when mankind started using a printing press instead of using scrolls, things changed that allowed us to get the Word of God to more people in more places in shorter periods of time.

My little laptop has over 140 different translations on it,and one of the programs can search a bible in many different languages!  I have over 5000 Christian books on the laptop and it weighs only a couple pounds.  I have one bible program that can be run off a thumb drive and it leaves no imprint on the computer it was plugged into...it is perfect in countries that don't like the scriptures being read and studied.

My wife and I helped a seminary in Russian by making over 100 free copies of a free bible study program and sent them back with the head of the Seminary, they were afraid to download materials off the internet, because of problems with the goverment, but they loved having full blown libraries for each of their students.  On a side note this seminary was all taught in English, because it was the most well known language for all of their students and it is the easiest language to find resources in!

My little 13 inch computer has a 500 gigabite hard drive, and a 12 hour battery life, it is great for those that are on the go, such as church planters, or missionaries!

We live in a great period of time, and I daily thank the Lord for Logos!

In Christ,

Jim

Posts 25111
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 6 2010 6:06 AM

Ben:
L4 apparently won't run on it because of the weak graphics. But both of my other systems are running L4.

If you have a working L4 you can clone it on the Netbook using Method 1 or 2 at Quick Installation onto multiple computers

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS