Logos 8 Wishlist

Page 4 of 11 (215 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next > ... Last »
This post has 214 Replies | 22 Followers

Posts 8
Michael Morse | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 23 2017 10:36 AM

I would like to also request - aspect ratio default for the Media Slides - widescreen or 4:3 - but it remembers this setting - tired of having to remember to click the 4:3 option for the slides

Posts 25096
Forum MVP
alabama24 | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 23 2017 12:57 PM

Phil Gons (Faithlife):
What are the most important things we should address to make Logos a better tool for you?

I'm tired of pitching it and fighting for my view, but my first priority has always been a divorce of "layout" from "project." As a user is working across devices and platforms, he/she may have good reasons to use a different pattern (layout) on each device. An iPhone ≠ iPad ≠ MacBook ≠ iMac. Open resources and the corresponding resource locations are associated with various PROJECTS. The "layout" (pattern of tiles) is unrelated. Users should be able to open & save projects in a variety of layouts across devices & platforms. The user should also be able to save the project in a given layout on each device. This applies to all devices, including mobile. 

Robert M. Warren:
Personal Book Author box that predictively pre-populates based on authors already in library. (Would keep author names consistent.)

Yes

PL:
SPEED - like a real, normal Windows app

Correction: SPEED - like a real, normal MAC app. 

Mike Binks:
Reading Plans

Yes, and the ability to create and share reading plans (and NOT via a "faithlife" user group!). 

OSX & iOS | Mac Logs | PC LogsInstall

Posts 2447
Kevin A. Purcell | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 23 2017 5:04 PM

U you

alabama24:

Yes, and the ability to create and share reading plans (and NOT via a "faithlife" user group!). 

How about just dump the whole social network. Its not very good and a drain on resources. 

Posts 4187
Disciple of Christ (doc) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 23 2017 5:08 PM

Kevin A. Purcell:

How about just dump the whole social network. Its not very good and a drain on resources. 

Agree, it's is not well received  given the low usage, the community notes are often the sort of stuff that either should be in a personal journal or just a complete waste of time.

They tried community notes in Libronix and it was a failure. This new iteration is just as disappointing.

Posts 1669
mike | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 23 2017 10:23 PM

Agree. The faithlife group is a failure & dragging in my sense. Logos needs to scrap it & stop wasting time. Just use this forum (or subforum)

Posts 954
Rick Ausdahl | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 24 2017 5:45 AM

Kevin A. Purcell:

U you

alabama24:

Perhaps some find value in it, but I've never felt a need for it.  So if it does suck up much at all in the way of Logos resources, I'd rather see those resources used elsewhere.

Posts 8786
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 24 2017 9:03 AM

I kind of avoided this thread, since 'Logos8' really needs some excitement. After watching Now'ing and yawning, I'm pretty much on Logos5 (features).

But before throwing the Faithlife social-baby out, they should re-think it. LogosX maybe. I still argue 'churches' need connectivity. Events, shared this and that, Proclaim, and after-church luncheon plans. Little churches helped by big churches. Connecting to church management, and tax stuff. 

Faithlife (only) has the necessary pieces, but never can settle down for simple, fun, and easy to use.  Logos-designing is nerd-based (no offense to nerds, of course).  There's a large market in declining churches (size) and the need to share.

Posts 474
Jesse Blevins | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 24 2017 12:36 PM

I would like to see a feature added to collections to lock a created collection if desired.

I take the time to make some personal collections based on my criteria and my selection of certain sources. I don't use any rule to do so but then somehow Logos adds new books to my collection that I don't want.

I would like the option to lock a collection (even if it's built on a certain rule) so that it cannot be changed unless I desire to unlock it and add some more books to it myself.  

Posts 842
Harry Hahne | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 24 2017 4:41 PM

Here are a few of my top wishes for the mobile app:

1. The ability to search on Greek/Hebrew lemmas from the reverse interlinear Bibles as well as from the Greek and Hebrew Bibles. Lonmg press ono a word, then select "Search" to search by lemma. I know I can get there through much effort with the Bible Word Study, but I would rather have a verse list. A lemma search is the most basic thing I expect from any Bible software and there are competing mobile apps that do this.

2. Ability to open search results in one of the windows, so I can tap on a verse to change from verse to verse in the search results.

3. Default for Search command should be the Bible or other resource that is currently open and active. At the least it should be the default Bible, not whatever collection happens to be at the top of my long list of collections. I hate having to wait for the collection list to populate (it can take 30 seconds) and then it takes a while to browse through a long list to find the Bible I am reading.

4. Mobile layouts that can be saved and reopened.

5. As others have requested, the ability to select what interlinear or reverse interlinear tags to display.

Posts 2035
mab | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 24 2017 4:47 PM

I've been delighted with that /ngen start functionality. Perhaps just building that into a low-level startup for Windows release updates.

Indexing is still a bit of a hog. Any improvements would be appreciated.

+1 on being able to export public domain works for tablet use  

The aim is never to become a master of the Word, but to be mastered by it. D.A. Carson | Study hard, for the well is deep, and our brains are shallow. Richard Baxter

Posts 130
Chris K | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 24 2017 11:02 PM

I would love to see the following:

1) When I search within a Book/resource, for some reason I find it clunky and difficult to view the search results and see the areas where the search results hit. It seems that you have to scroll through the book and find the highlighted areas.  I would like it to appear more like a google search result page so that we can jump to the sections of the book we are in that include our search results easier, or at least some feature to "jump to" the next result  - similar if you were doing a "find" in a Word Document/etc.  For me (unless I am doing it wrong), searching within an opened resource is always a frustrating pain - it should not be that difficult!   Making this easier/more streamlined would be my #1 Wishlist item for Logos 8!

2) Ability to access personal books on iPad/app. I know there has been discussion on this. I would really love to see improvements to the personal books - it is a great feature that I would love to see be enhanced!  I would REALLY love to see the file size maximum for personal books to be bumped up to at least 50MB.  While the 25MB cap works for most of my books, I have a few that I have had to split into several books.  Better yet, I wish there was no cap on the file size, though I understand where there might need to have one.  Perhaps if increasing the cap size is not an option, there could be a small fee to buy an "unlimited personal book" that would let us upload a really large one for $5.99 or something like that?  I would also like to see a more comprehensive and user friendly guide/manual for Creating Personal Books (what I have read and tried so far, the syntax doesn't seem to work)...perhaps an instructional video that is more in depth could also be added?

3) Denominational tagging would be great, and ability to sort by denomination. This should also be an option to add to personal books. 

4) Overall speed improvements  - this is always an ongoing need.

5) In the Library, I would love to be able to list just the Bibles that are owned (now we can just search all resources, personal books, collections, and series)

6) ability to add more favorite things to home screen - for instance if we could select "favorite resources" to always have preview sections of it show on the home screen that would be great!  

7) more modern user interface 

8) sort/show books in library based on language. 

9) I loved the idea that some mentioned about Logos official collections.  It would be great to have a preset collection based on base packages, denominations, etc.  I was also a teacher who had students using Verbum - I mentioned this same request, to have a collection of the books that our students had in their accounts so I could search and assign things based on what they had, and wouldn't have to worry about my extra resources being mixed in.  Official collections would be very helpful!  (For Verbum, I would love some official collections of Papal Documents/Church Documents/etc.).

10) I would like to see more English - ?Language Dictionaries.  Right now, there is definitely Latin, Greek, Hebrew, and a Spanish-English Dictionary...but it seems like there are a lot of works that use German, French, etc.  It would be nice to have access to those dictionaries as well.

11) Ability to create our own timelines.  I like the timeline feature, but I would use it more if I could create my own timelines for things that I study and am interested in.  Our own timelines could then list dates/info/etc. I would prefer this not be something like personal books where we have to create it using a syntax, but would rather it have its own interface to add a date, add a title, information, media, etc.

12) I would like to see more books that deal with things like the coins in Scripture and numerology - very few to no resources on these seem to be available.  It would be great to have a resource with pictures (not just illustrations) of the coins.

13) FL Websites using same book database.  Right now, in order to make sure I am not "missing" anything, I check Logos.com, Verbum.com, Noet.com, and Vyrso.com...while it seems that everything that is on Verbum is on Logos, it would be great if the whole catalog was available on every site.  Vyrso books (since they are a different format/less tagging) could be indicated with a "Vyrso" badge/label.  It would be great to just have to go to one site to do all my shopping/browsing.  (though I make sure I go to Logos/Verbum as they offer different "free books of the month which I appreciate - wish Noet would bring back their free book).  In terms of website, Verbum is my favorite as it looks the cleanest, however, it is missing agood portion of the FL catalog, wish lists, community pricing, and even the pre-pub is limited.  The monthly payments are also not present in Verbum for review.  I would like to see all those features added into Verbum website.

14) Sort by denomination in sales, pre-pub, and community pricing: with the hopeful integration of denominational tagging, it would be great if a drop-down could be added in the searches on the websites so we can see books according to denominations.

15) Logos/Verbum Credit Purchase?  I know you can buy this if you call in, and it seems that the Logos site has a form of this (though it seems that it requires a monthly plan), but I would love to be able to simply "load my account" with Logos/Verbum Credit that I can use on a future date or for pre-pubs...EVEN BETTER, or as an additional feature, I would love to go to my "open Pre-pubs" and be able to "prepay" for it.  That way I am not hit when it finally comes out.  If it ends up getting canceled, what I prepaid could then just convert to logos credit.

Posts 4403
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 24 2017 11:27 PM

Rick Ausdahl:

Window Size and Scrolling of Scripture Passages When Hovering over LInks in Resources

When a scripture passage pop-up window is displayed as a result of the user hovering the cursor over a passage link in a resource, either make the window size large enough to display the entire passage -OR- make the window scrollable.  There are many, many, many times that there is plenty of room on the screen to make the pop-up window large enough to display the entire passage, but the pop-up window size displayed is too small to do that, requiring the user to then click on the passage link which transfers control to a Bible resource (often in a different pane), then requiring the user to transfer control back to the main resource in order to resume reading/studying that resource.  Such an unnecessary waste of time.

Sorry, this is too much like L3, so it is excluded from consideration for all future versions of Logos.

Posts 18697
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 25 2017 1:17 AM

Chris

Not wanting to take away from your requests but I just wanted to point out some of the things you are looking for may already be available.

Chris K:
1) When I search within a Book/resource, for some reason I find it clunky and difficult to view the search results and see the areas where the search results hit. It seems that you have to scroll through the book and find the highlighted areas.  I would like it to appear more like a google search result page so that we can jump to the sections of the book we are in that include our search results easier, or at least some feature to "jump to" the next result  - similar if you were doing a "find" in a Word Document/etc.  For me (unless I am doing it wrong), searching within an opened resource is always a frustrating pain - it should not be that difficult!   Making this easier/more streamlined would be my #1 Wishlist item for Logos 8!

On the left of the screenshot below I have run a search on an open resource - then selecting "Search Result" within the resource itself I can jump up and down to search results using the arrows to the right of the selection box. Does this give you what you want?

Chris K:
5) In the Library, I would love to be able to list just the Bibles that are owned (now we can just search all resources, personal books, collections, and series)

Filtering the Library by "type:bible" does this

Chris K:
8) sort/show books in library based on language. 

You can do this - assuming you have the "Languages" column enabled (right click on a column heading to bring up this dialog box)

Posts 130
Chris K | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 25 2017 2:01 AM

Graham - thanks so much for the tips - I will def look at those tomorrow when I am at my computer!

Posts 130
Chris K | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 25 2017 2:03 AM

One other wishlist thing for Verbum 8 (maybe it already does this), but I would like to see additional books that are on the saints be tagged and automatically populated to the saints database, similar to the ways encyclopedias/etc add into the Factbook. Maybe it already does this, but I thought it would be worth mentioning!

Posts 161
Jeremiah | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 25 2017 6:49 AM

David Thomas:

Phil Gons (Faithlife):
What's on your Logos 8 wishlist?

2 words - TOUCH SUPPORT

https://logos.uservoice.com/forums/42823-logos-bible-software-7/suggestions/619605-focus-on-tablet-and-touchscreen-features 

Amen, please!!!

I bought a 2-in-1 for the express purpose of being able to use all the logos features on the go (like sitting in small transport in 3rd world, no room for keyboard) and was so disappointed to find out basic touch features in windows 10 which work in all my other programs don't work in logos.

Love logos it's great but really guys touch devices have been around for many years now can we please get this working.

Dead languages are my mid-life crisis

Posts 8786
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 25 2017 7:32 AM

Confused    Libby, Libby, Libby, on the label, label, label.  They could pay Libby for the patent rights.

David Paul:

Rick Ausdahl:

Window Size and Scrolling of Scripture Passages When Hovering over LInks in Resources

When a scripture passage pop-up window is displayed as a result of the user hovering the cursor over a passage link in a resource, either make the window size large enough to display the entire passage -OR- make the window scrollable.  There are many, many, many times that there is plenty of room on the screen to make the pop-up window large enough to display the entire passage, but the pop-up window size displayed is too small to do that, requiring the user to then click on the passage link which transfers control to a Bible resource (often in a different pane), then requiring the user to transfer control back to the main resource in order to resume reading/studying that resource.  Such an unnecessary waste of time.

Sorry, this is too much like L3, so it is excluded from consideration for all future versions of Logos.

Posts 736
EastTN | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 25 2017 10:04 AM

Denise:

I kind of avoided this thread, since 'Logos8' really needs some excitement. After watching Now'ing and yawning, I'm pretty much on Logos5 (features).

But before throwing the Faithlife social-baby out, they should re-think it. LogosX maybe. I still argue 'churches' need connectivity. Events, shared this and that, Proclaim, and after-church luncheon plans. Little churches helped by big churches. Connecting to church management, and tax stuff. 

Faithlife (only) has the necessary pieces, but never can settle down for simple, fun, and easy to use.  Logos-designing is nerd-based (no offense to nerds, of course).  There's a large market in declining churches (size) and the need to share.

For what little it may be worth, I'm on the side of "throwing the Faithlife social-baby out," at least in anything like its current form.  Here's why. First, the integration with the Logos program (such as the community notes and highlighting) really doesn't add much value, and it adds another set of complications to an already very complex piece of software.  Second, there's no obvious necessity to integrate a social-networking infrastructure into a Bible study program. Third, there are already a plethora of well-established social-networking platforms available.  It's not intuitively obvious why congregations wouldn't be better off using them instead (as many already do).

FaithLife is on the cutting edge when it comes to Bible software. It's hard to see how a FaithLife social networking platform could achieve a comparable degree of success.

Posts 8786
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 25 2017 10:29 AM

EastTN, since you quoted me, I'll respond (smiling). First, yes, Faithlife-social is a disaster. And second, yes, Facebook is a social-goto. 

The mistake is viewing/demanding one as a replacement for the other. And (at least for me), there's ample examples of not-Facebook-social successes. In my own sphere, everything from GoodReads, quilting-groups, geology-circles, and folk music groups. They serve specific needs. And most also do Facebook.

I would argue (probably alone) that church support is still in its infancy. Large churches that people love to dislike are creating their own goto's. Large Bible sites are beginning to collect large followings. Compare to seminaries that (I'd bet) provide little training or imagination .... some Bible software maybe?

I still think Faithlife is on the cusp, if only it'd concentrate on integrated, and easy. And yes, even lady-able. Such a concept!

Posts 736
EastTN | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 25 2017 11:47 AM

Denise:

EastTN, since you quoted me, I'll respond (smiling). First, yes, Faithlife-social is a disaster. And second, yes, Facebook is a social-goto. 

The mistake is viewing/demanding one as a replacement for the other. And (at least for me), there's ample examples of not-Facebook-social successes. In my own sphere, everything from GoodReads, quilting-groups, geology-circles, and folk music groups. They serve specific needs. And most also do Facebook.

I would argue (probably alone) that church support is still in its infancy. Large churches that people love to dislike are creating their own goto's. Large Bible sites are beginning to collect large followings. Compare to seminaries that (I'd bet) provide little training or imagination .... some Bible software maybe?

I still think Faithlife is on the cusp, if only it'd concentrate on integrated, and easy. And yes, even lady-able. Such a concept!

Denise, you make some good points. In particular, I agree that the church community as a whole has not been as effective with social media as it should be. I also agree that churches have not been as good about supporting each other as they should.

As I think about it, it seems to me that it might be useful to separate out the platform or infrastructure from the communities that it supports. I can't argue that we don't need more, or better, or perhaps just different "goto" online communities. The two things I would suggest are:

1. There's no reason that church-based on-line communities can't use the same software platforms as secular on-line communities; and
  2. There's not a lot of value to be gained from the technical integration of on-line communities into Logos 7 or Logos 8.

Anyway, that's why it seems to me like an odd fit for FaithLife.  At least, it seems like an odd fit to integrate it through Logos.  Proclaim might be a more natural fit, since oriented towards supporting at least part of the life of the congregation, rather than supporting individual study.

Page 4 of 11 (215 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Copyright 1992-2015 Faithlife / Logos Bible Software.