Should I edit the Wiki for my library meta-data concerns?

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
This post has 6 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 515
David P. Moore | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Apr 3 2010 2:36 PM

Hi all, a request for some advice:

I have noticed many inconsistencies/missing data in my small library. For example, I currently have 50 books with no subject. Many others have a Dewey call number instead of a subject. Still others have minor inconsistencies in the subject field for the same book series (such as an added period), causing Logos to interpret them as different subjects.

As a librarian by trade, I feel compelled to contribute to the appropriate wiki page (http://wiki.logos.com/Metadata_correction_proposals) to highlight these minor issues. So I was thinking, for example, along the terms of creating a new heading for missing subject tags and adding the books I am aware of, as I don't see several of them there now.  My question is, would this be a good thing to do--or does Logos already know about this--or is it necessary? Maybe there's a reason they haven't been added already. For example, I noticed on the wiki page that the "Bible and Its Story" is mentioned as not having a series tag, but no mention of its missing subject field data. And this title came with my base package, so I know a lot of users have it and have probably noticed the missing subject data.

I'm still relatively a new Logos user and have not contributed to the Wiki yet, so I'm just curious about  what to do. I'm real excited to be a user of L4, and just want to do what little I can to make it even better.

Posts 26979
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 3 2010 4:03 PM

David P. Moore:
I feel compelled to contribute to the appropriate wiki page (http://wiki.logos.com/Metadata_correction_proposals) to highlight these minor issues. So I was thinking, for example, along the terms of creating a new heading for missing subject tags and adding the books I am aware of, as I don't see several of them there now.

It sounds as if you have the skills and interest to help in this area. Please go ahead and make all your suggestions; Logos will determine their priorities in making the corrections.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 2212
Damian McGrath | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 3 2010 7:31 PM

David P. Moore:
I'm still relatively a new Logos user and have not contributed to the Wiki yet, so I'm just curious about  what to do.

Please contribute away.....

The person primarily responsible for metadata is a librarian by profession. Nevertheless, there are some quite significant errors and omissions in the available metadat. Another professional eye focused on this problem would be of great assistance.

Feel free also to add sections to the wiki which pertain to  particular ommissions or errors. Currently, everything is just lumped in together and it may be helpful to divide metadata problems into particular areas - missing subjects, missing series information, etc.  Others can chime in on whether this would be helpful ro not...

Posts 18748
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 3 2010 9:44 PM

Damian McGrath:

David P. Moore:
I'm still relatively a new Logos user and have not contributed to the Wiki yet, so I'm just curious about  what to do.

Please contribute away.....

The person primarily responsible for metadata is a librarian by profession. Nevertheless, there are some quite significant errors and omissions in the available metadat. Another professional eye focused on this problem would be of great assistance.

Feel free also to add sections to the wiki which pertain to  particular ommissions or errors. Currently, everything is just lumped in together and it may be helpful to divide metadata problems into particular areas - missing subjects, missing series information, etc.  Others can chime in on whether this would be helpful ro not...

Yes, it would be great to have a professional librarian helping out with reporting meta-data issues!

If you do add some sections/organization to the list, do keep the "Corrections addressed by Logos" section at the bottom. Eventually that section might get so big that it should be moved off into another page so that people don't accidentally add to the middle of that when they are trying to report problems. Such reports would go forever overlooked.

Posts 515
David P. Moore | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 5 2010 9:57 AM

OK, then, I'm on a mission!

Posts 25092
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 6 2010 5:28 AM

David P. Moore:

OK, then, I'm on a mission!

Welcome, David!

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 8601
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 6 2010 6:34 AM

Indeed, welcome David. 

I'd love to see some more of these metadata issues fixed.  Uniformity in this data is necessary in order to get the best use of our libraries.

Truth Is Still Truth Even if You Don't Believe It

Check the Wiki

Warning: Sarcasm is my love language. I may inadvertently express my love to you.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS