New English Translation of the Septuagint (NETS)

Page 2 of 5 (86 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next >
This post has 85 Replies | 5 Followers

Posts 23
Garry Vanderveen | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 14 2010 4:56 PM

Any word on NETS yet?

Posts 4
Bob Burns | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 16 2010 9:15 PM

So what is the date for the NETS on Logos 4? ;-)

Posts 2862
Milkman | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 17 2010 8:47 AM

That would be a great addition to have. Sign me up for the Pre-pub.

mm.

Posts 8868
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 8 2010 4:53 AM

Seems I missed to vote for this.

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 5
Rob Lloyd | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 30 2011 12:03 PM

I'd like to add my vote for NETS, especially with a reverse interlinear.

Posts 9944
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 30 2011 1:21 PM

Rob Lloyd:

Realizing that it isn't the same as having a Logos edition, you can download PDF files of the translation which might serve temporarily here

http://ccat.sas.upenn.edu/nets/edition/

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 4625
RIP
Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 30 2011 1:38 PM

George Somsel:

Rob Lloyd:

Realizing that it isn't the same as having a Logos edition, you can download PDF files of the translation which might serve temporarily here

http://ccat.sas.upenn.edu/nets/edition/

George!   *smile*

Thank you for that link!  It's a great site and will be of significance to me until Logos has it in our preferred format - the Logos Edition!

Peace!     And Joy, George!

Philippians 4:  4 Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. 5 Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand..........

Posts 832
Eric Weiss | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 30 2011 1:59 PM

James W Bennett:

Yes

There is also the St Athanasius Academy Septuagint by the St Athanasius Academy of Orthodox Theology. Thomas Nelson publishes the translation in the Orthodox Study Bible.

The Thomas Nelson Orthodox Study Bible is a flawed LXX translation. See the many reviews/critiques of it on the Internet. E.g., Psalm 22 (Ps. 23 English) conforms to the Masoretic Text, not the Old Greek text, when it reads "The Lord is my shepherd" instead of "The Lord shepherds me" (the Hebrew could be read either way, but the LXX translators chose to make it a verb) and "You anoint my head with oil; My cup runs over." instead of "You anointed my head with oil, and your cup intoxicates as the most excellent [wine?]."

Optimistically Egalitarian (Galatians 3:28)

Posts 9944
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 30 2011 2:56 PM

Eric Weiss:

James W Bennett:

Yes

There is also the St Athanasius Academy Septuagint by the St Athanasius Academy of Orthodox Theology. Thomas Nelson publishes the translation in the Orthodox Study Bible.

The Thomas Nelson Orthodox Study Bible is a flawed LXX translation. See the many reviews/critiques of it on the Internet. E.g., Psalm 22 (Ps. 23 English) conforms to the Masoretic Text, not the Old Greek text, when it reads "The Lord is my shepherd" instead of "The Lord shepherds me" (the Hebrew could be read either way, but the LXX translators chose to make it a verb) and "You anoint my head with oil; My cup runs over." instead of "You anointed my head with oil, and your cup intoxicates as the most excellent [wine?]."

Interesting.  I never bothered to read the LXX version of Ps 23 since I only do that when I have a particular reason to compare the MT with the LXX (and I never had one), but you are correct.  Someone was asleep to let that slip through.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 23
Garry Vanderveen | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 16 2011 5:26 PM

Any news yet?

Posts 6
Meshaal | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 20 2011 1:45 PM

I vote yes too Yes

Posts 4
Alex Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 27 2011 6:20 PM

I emailed suggest@logos.com about it, including this thread to prove there's been a lot of interest in it for at least 18 months now... what else can be done to encourage them?

Posts 9394
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 27 2011 6:36 PM

Alex ... appreciate your extra effort.

Maybe we need to sponsor a bus to the University of Pennsylvania.

We could bring along our Olivetree phones and read NETS on the way!

Maybe have a birthday cake on November 17th to celebrate NETS's 4 year anniversary. Almost ready for 1st grade!

I wonder if this one was one Logos hinted they were having trouble with. It's too obvious for Logos not to have been working it.

Posts 4
Alex Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 27 2011 7:01 PM

I've also just added it to their suggestion queue, please put 3 votes on it, and it might actually get noticed Cool 

http://logos.uservoice.com/forums/42823-logos-bible-software-4/suggestions/2351260-add-new-english-translation-of-the-septuagint-net

Posts 8868
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 28 2011 1:28 PM

Alex Smith:

I've also just added it to their suggestion queue, please put 3 votes on it, and it might actually get noticed Cool 

http://logos.uservoice.com/forums/42823-logos-bible-software-4/suggestions/2351260-add-new-english-translation-of-the-septuagint-net

First: welcome to the forums, since no one said that after your first post.

Uservoice is for features, not books. Logos can decide how to spend developers' time based on votes, because they employ those developers. They can't decide what books to publish based on votes, because they don't own the rights to those books. If the copyright holder says no, it doesn't matter if you've gathered a million votes. Logos still can't produce it. So all your suggestion is doing really is to take votes away from other suggestions, where they might have had an influence.

It's also probably the least likely place for your suggestion to be noticed. I doubt that the publishing team reads Uservoice. The best way to get a resource suggestion noticed is to send a mail to suggest@logos.com. The second best is to use the Suggestion forum. After that it's really very little we can do, except wait. You could try contacting the publisher directly, but that may or may not help. Sometimes it's a good idea, but there's been rumours that some publishers get really annoyed by it.

And as for "Should be easy to license/import as Accordance has had it for years", well, that may be precisely why it's impossible to license. Accordance may have negotiated a contract that gives them the sole right to publish NETS electronically.

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 4
Alex Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 28 2011 4:30 PM

fgh:
First: welcome to the forums, since no one said that after your first post.
Thanks fgh :)

fgh:
Uservoice is for features, not books.
I saw other book suggestions there, so I thought it was ok, sorry Embarrassed.

fgh:
Logos can decide how to spend developers' time based on votes, because they employ those developers. They can't decide what books to publish based on votes, because they don't own the rights to those books. If the copyright holder says no, it doesn't matter if you've gathered a million votes. Logos still can't produce it.
True, but if the copyright holder says yes, it does take developers' time to implement, particularly if they do the Reverse Interlinear.

fgh:
The best way to get a resource suggestion noticed is to send a mail to suggest@logos.com. The second best is to use the Suggestion forum.
I've done both & now I've also emailed NETS & the Oxford University Press to make sure there isn't a problem a their end.

fgh:
And as for "Should be easy to license/import as Accordance has had it for years", well, that may be precisely why it's impossible to license. Accordance may have negotiated a contract that gives them the sole right to publish NETS electronically.
Maybe, but the following makes me hope that's not the case, http://ccat.sas.upenn.edu/nets/edition/ "The files of this electronic edition are in Adobe Acrobat (PDF) format. ... You are free to download these files for your personal, scholarly purposes. ... NETS is currently available as a module in Accordance, and we expect that other electronic Bible databases will also license it from the Press in the future." However, I'll only know for sure when they reply to my emails.

Posts 452
Is Mebin | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 28 2011 5:26 PM

I have it on Kindle...so the rights can't be exclusive

Posts 8868
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 28 2011 5:43 PM

Alex Smith:
I saw other book suggestions there, so I thought it was ok, sorry Embarrassed.

No need for the Embarrassed. I don't think it's forbidden in any way, just not very meaningful in my opinion.

Alex Smith:
True, but if the copyright holder says yes, it does take developers' time to implement, particularly if they do the Reverse Interlinear.

From everything I've read, the text development teams are separate from the software development teams, and those who do RI's are even more separate. Also, the text development teams are the ones that bring in the money, the software development teams are the ones that spend it, so I think we can be pretty confident that no votes of ours are needed to give the former whatever they need from the latter. Wink And since NETS has every potential to become a bestseller, I suspect we can also be pretty confident that if it's not being produced, it's not because Logos doesn't want to.

Alex Smith:
the following makes me hope that's not the case, (...) we expect that other electronic Bible databases will also license it from the Press in the future."

Good find, and good sign.

Alex Smith:
I've also emailed NETS & the Oxford University Press

Ouch! Is OUP involved? Very bad sign. Logos currently seems to be having serious troubles licensing anything at all from OUP.

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 9394
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 28 2011 5:51 PM

Oh my. OUP.   Ok ... everybody off the NETS bus.

Posts 171
Adam Rao | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 14 2013 8:09 AM

Any updates on NETS?

Page 2 of 5 (86 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > | RSS