A Couple of Searching Questions

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
This post has 5 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 652
Jeremy | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Apr 6 2010 5:32 PM

When a passage guide search is performed and I incorporate a Dictionary collection and a Theological Journal Collection to it, how does L4 determine what comes up? It would be nice if Logos could design a collection search that follows the parameters we set up. For instance, too many titles are coming up when I utilize My Passage Guide in my Theological Journals. I would like it if only the passage I am studying is in the title or the main points of the journal.

Second, isn't there a way to do a Basic search in my Theological Journals and just search the titles of journals or main points of the journal in order to look for a particular word or phrase or does the Cited By tool do this?

Posts 26012
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 6 2010 8:28 PM

Jeremy:
When a passage guide search is performed and I incorporate a Dictionary collection and a Theological Journal Collection to it, how does L4 determine what comes up? It would be nice if Logos could design a collection search that follows the parameters we set up. For instance, too many titles are coming up when I utilize My Passage Guide in my Theological Journals. I would like it if only the passage I am studying is in the title or the main points of the journal.

If you add a Collections section(s) to PG then your chosen resource set (collection) is searched for all references that encompass your PG passage.

If you add a Commentaries section(s) to PG then your chosen resource set (collection) is searched for indexed references that discuss your PG passage.

To clarify, an indexed reference/passage is in the header of a section that discusses the passage whilst the Collections section gathers references/passages from anywhere in the text eg. a list of references.

Now, there is no point incorporating your Dictionary collection in the Commentaries section as they are not indexed for bible references. I think Theological Journals are also not indexed (if they are indexed then put them in a Commentaries section).

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 285
David Gullick | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 6 2010 8:54 PM

Jeremy:

Second, isn't there a way to do a Basic search in my Theological Journals and just search the titles of journals or main points of the journal in order to look for a particular word or phrase or does the Cited By tool do this?

Its coming in 4.0c

Logos Platinum

Windows 7 - 64 Bit
Lenovo laptop E520 i7-2640M, 2.8GHz 8G Ram, 2G Graphics

Australia

Posts 26012
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 6 2010 9:29 PM

David Gullick:
Its coming in 4.0c

It can be done in 4.0b if one knows the Fields that are available - see How do I find the fields? eg.

title:resurrection

author:"James D"

4.0c will make it much easier!

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 652
Jeremy | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 7 2010 5:38 PM

Dave Hooton:
To clarify, an indexed reference/passage is in the header of a section that discusses the passage whilst the Collections section gathers references/passages from anywhere in the text eg. a list of references.

Very helpful. Someday I would like to choose which way Logos searches through them. I ran into this when trying to set up a collection for apparatuses. It doesn't work like I want it to if you make a collection called apparatuses because too many hits come up, but the problem is that in the Logos defined "apparatus" option in the PG, for some reason Metzger doesn't come up. I guess it is only considered a commentary.

Posts 652
Jeremy | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 7 2010 5:40 PM

Dave Hooton:

David Gullick:
Its coming in 4.0c

It can be done in 4.0b if one knows the Fields that are available - see How do I find the fields? eg.

title:resurrection

author:"James D"

4.0c will make it much easier!

Very nice. It's in the beta, but not as extensive as your picture.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS