How to 'show-off' your Logos 4 library!

Page 1 of 5 (81 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next >
This post has 80 Replies | 7 Followers

Posts 13360
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Apr 8 2010 7:17 AM

If you want to allow others to see what resources you have in Logos, you can now do so. It's a feature I've added to my Logos 4 Bibliographic Report. The report gives you a URL that you can share with friends so that they can see your library. The page is pretty rather than functional, but I'll consider adding additional functionality if there's demand. This is what mine looks like:

For those not familiar with my bibliographic report, you simply upload a large file from your Logos installation, and my website does the rest.

Posts 456
Pastor Roger | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 8 2010 7:58 AM

Very nice.  Thank you, Mark.

Elder/Pastor, Hope Now Bible Church, Fresno CA

Posts 79
Theophilus | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 8 2010 8:21 AM

Wow! How many storeys tall did you say that bookshelf is again? Wink

Seriously, Wow! This is really cool! I love it! Cool

Yes for functionality, please!

Posts 300
John Graves | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 8 2010 9:03 AM

very cool thanks

Posts 13360
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 8 2010 10:11 AM

Theophilus:

Wow! How many storeys tall did you say that bookshelf is again? Wink

At a width of 1280 pixels my 'bookcase' was 445 shelves high. If the average shelf is 10 inches high, that's about 371 feet, or about the same height as St. Paul's Cathedral in London!

Posts 853
Ron Corbett | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 8 2010 3:27 PM

At a width of 1280 pixels my 'bookcase' was 445 shelves high. If the average shelf is 10 inches high, that's about 371 feet, or about the same height as St. Paul's Cathedral in London.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You call that showin' off?  Cool

Thanks again Mark.

Posts 3163
Dominick Sela | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 8 2010 5:29 PM

How do you figure out how many shelves your library is? You didn't count them all did you?

Posts 79
Theophilus | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 8 2010 7:01 PM

Mark Barnes:

... that's about 371 feet, or about the same height as St. Paul's Cathedral in London!

Cool! Looks like adding functionality will have to include a ladder that long (the type with wheels that you slide along your bookcase) to enable one to reach the books on the highest shelf! (Not to mention others who may have an even bigger library ... )

Posts 191
Sharon | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 8 2010 7:10 PM

Hi Mark!

Thanks!  I love this!  I'm pretty visual, so this will actually help me in a very practical way.

Unfortunately my computer, my new computer has been in critical care in the hospital recently (again).  It just came home and I have to reload everything (again).  I'm going to try and reload Logos tonight during the night.  Then, hopefully, tomorrow I can do your way cool report!

What fun!  Thanks, again!

wordcenterministries.org

Posts 1928
Donovan R. Palmer | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 8 2010 11:42 PM

This is cool. I was really hoping L4 would have a visual bookshelf feature similar to what you have done here and similar to programmes like Delicious Library.

Posts 18670
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 8 2010 11:58 PM

Cool! I love it! Even if it's not that functional, it's pretty to look at!

If you felt like improving it, here are some suggestions (the last two are minor bug fixes):

1) Hidden resources still show up on my shelves and I'd prefer not to see them.

2) Can't control the sort order that shows up on the link you generated for me to share with others (http://www.4-14.org.uk/?mylogosbooks=329b13a8ae35ba623f500c1b314c2128), and don't know if there is a way to generate a new link that has them sorted by Author instead of Title. (I can show them to myself in that order, but it's not a shareable URL.)

3) There are some funky characters that show up instead of smart quotes and em-dashes and such, in the popups that come up when you hover over a cover image:

4) Also noticeable in the above image: when the Author is blank, the opening comma and space should be omitted.

Long-term (in the "dream on" category): I'd love to be able to drag and group and rearrange at will; collapse and drag entire series together and organize my visual shelves much the way I might my physical shelves. Not necessarily in some absolute "computer order"; but all my commentaries together, and then by series within that section, and in canonical order within each series; then in another section all my journals sorted by issue number; then in another section all my church history books by author; etc.

Posts 767
Alan Charles Gielczyk | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 9 2010 12:08 AM

Mark,

Thanks for this, it is great. I do have one problem, at least with my library. About halfway through all my books stop being "on" the shelves and appear between the shelves. I don't know how you all get your bookshelf to appear in your post so I can't show you unless someone clues me in on how to do that.

Posts 18670
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 9 2010 1:47 AM

Alan Charles Gielczyk:

I don't know how you all get your bookshelf to appear in your post so I can't show you unless someone clues me in on how to do that.

I use SnagIt, a full-featured screen capture utility made by TechSmith. Jing is a simpler freebie one from the same company.

Posts 206
Aaron Knotts | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 9 2010 2:26 AM

thanks Mark!  This is outstanding....a brilliant way to get an overview of my library and perhaps read something I had missed.

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015), 2.5 GHz Intel Core i7

16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3, AMD Radeon R9 M370X 2048 MB

Posts 1674
Paul Golder | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 9 2010 7:44 AM

Thanks Mark, very nice work. Yes

Now if only Logos would supply artwork for all the titles... Hmm

"As any translator will attest, a literal translation is no translation at all."

Posts 569
J. Morris | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 9 2010 7:57 AM

Amazing...

Posts 653
Alex Scott | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 9 2010 7:44 PM

I don't know if you've found this out but no one has mentioned it that I can see - if you click on a book, it will open it.

Longtime Logos user (more than $30,000 in purchases) - now a second class user because I won't pay them more every month or year.

Posts 18670
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 9 2010 7:46 PM

Alex Scott:

I don't know if you've found this out but no one has mentioned it that I can see - if you click on a book, it will open it.

Yes, that was the first thing I tried. Pretty nifty! Smile

Posts 456
Pastor Roger | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 9 2010 8:18 PM

Rosie Perera:

Alan Charles Gielczyk:

I don't know how you all get your bookshelf to appear in your post so I can't show you unless someone clues me in on how to do that.

I use SnagIt, a full-featured screen capture utility made by TechSmith. Jing is a simpler freebie one from the same company.

Windows 7 has a nice little snipping tool built right in.  

Posts 456
Pastor Roger | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 9 2010 8:19 PM

Alex Scott:

What a great feature.  I love it!

Page 1 of 5 (81 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > | RSS