Expository Preaching Layout Suggestions

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
This post has 9 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 483
Michael Kinch | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Oct 1 2017 7:10 AM

I am building a layout for expository preaching.  What resources do you use or suggest to use in a layout designed for study in preparation for expository preaching.  I am currently preaching from Ezra and Nehemiah.

Posts 885
Brother Mark | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 1 2017 12:41 PM

Michael Kinch:

IWhat resources do you use or suggest to use in a layout designed for study in preparation for expository preaching. 

Michael,  I am primarily an expository preacher/teacher, and I use the same layout for each book of the Bible I teach/preach through (currently in a series through the prison epistles and just starting Ephesians.  My study layout is divided into left and right sides of the screen.  On the left side are English language Bibles (I don't have any formal training in original languages).  The right side is comprised of versified commentaries that include both application and translational.

"I read dead people..."

Posts 483
Michael Kinch | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 1 2017 12:47 PM

Thanks Mark, which commentaries do you use?

Posts 885
Brother Mark | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 1 2017 12:57 PM

Michael Kinch:

Michael,  It depends on which book of the Bible I'm teaching/preaching, and which commentaries I have that pertain to that particular book.  I have a few reliable series that I rely on a good bit: NAC and PNTC for instance, also Kevin Wuest's stuff in the NT is reliable and thorough.  The WBC isn't usually to my liking from a conservative perspective, and frankly, I also use WordSearch because I have resources in it that I don't have in Logos, like the Preacher's Outline Study Bible (POSB), etc.

"I read dead people..."

Posts 1825
David Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 1 2017 7:49 PM

Michael Kinch:
What resources do you use or suggest to use in a layout designed for study in preparation for expository preaching.

This thread shows some of my favorite layouts, including one for preaching OT texts and one for NT texts. http://community.logos.com/forums/p/73828/514992.aspx#514992

I have refined my layout from a great video series done by a fellow user. You can see his YouTube playlist here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lw_66oH7ZfI&list=PL8AA3949989A57B88

Making Disciples!  Logos Ecosystem = Logos8 on Microsoft Surface Pro 4 (Win10), Android app on tablet, FSB on iPhone, [deprecated] Windows App, Proclaim, Faithlife.com, FaithlifeTV via Connect subscription.

Posts 260
Jonathan Bradley | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 1 2017 8:51 PM

Brother Mark:

Michael Kinch:

Michael,  It depends on which book of the Bible I'm teaching/preaching, and which commentaries I have that pertain to that particular book.  I have a few reliable series that I rely on a good bit: NAC and PNTC for instance, also Kevin Wuest's stuff in the NT is reliable and thorough.  The WBC isn't usually to my liking from a conservative perspective, and frankly, I also use WordSearch because I have resources in it that I don't have in Logos, like the Preacher's Outline Study Bible (POSB), etc.

Brother Mark, can you post some screenshots of your layout?

Posts 1699
JoshInRI | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 6 2017 5:15 PM
What an excellent useful question and I have appreciated all of the reply so far as well. How I wish logos developers would pay careful and close attention to people who are actually using the software and practical ways like you are.
Posts 638
Michael S. | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 7 2017 7:54 AM

David Thomas:

I have refined my layout from a great video series done by a fellow user. You can see his YouTube playlist here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lw_66oH7ZfI&list=PL8AA3949989A57B88

His videos are good, but a little dated now.  4 years and an older format of LOGOS.  But I guess the content is pretty much unchanged.  Thanks for sharing.

Posts 1825
David Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 7 2017 5:41 PM

Michael S.:
His videos are good, but a little dated now.  4 years and an older format of LOGOS

Yes, I asked him if he had plans to update the series. He said an update is on his list, but not a high priority since the process remains the same and intermediate Logos users ought to be able to adapt the screen shares to the particular version of Logos that they use.

Making Disciples!  Logos Ecosystem = Logos8 on Microsoft Surface Pro 4 (Win10), Android app on tablet, FSB on iPhone, [deprecated] Windows App, Proclaim, Faithlife.com, FaithlifeTV via Connect subscription.

Posts 483
Michael Kinch | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 9 2017 6:46 PM

Thanks everyone for your responses.  This was great.  

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS