Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
This post has 3 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 10
Mark Roberts | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Oct 2 2017 1:43 PM

Hebrew loves to make a play on words - like in Jeremiah 1:11-12 where the term for "almond" sounds like the word for "watching."  Hebrew especially likes to use terms repeatedly to make the point, but often the English translation obscures these.

How can we find these in Logos?  Specifically I am looking at Jer 3:22 where the term for "return" and "faithless" and "faithlessness" all share a similar root, so the text is (very roughly) "Turn to me, you turning sons and I will heal your turning (away)."

That's not evident in the English at all.  Just searching "turn" or "faithless" won't get it either, nor will searching the Hebrew lemma.

Ideas?  Thoughts?

Posts 22077
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 2 2017 2:28 PM

Mark Roberts:
Just searching "turn" or "faithless" won't get it either, nor will searching the Hebrew lemma.

You could search for the Hebrew root - right-click on the word and select the root option on the right-hand side

Posts 2132
LogosEmployee

If you have access to the Figures of Speech dataset (available in many base packages), then you can right-click on the word "almond", and you'll see that it is marked with the figure of speech "Rhyming-Words". Select that in the right-click menu, and then select Search this resource. This will find a number of other places where similar figures of speech are used in the Bible.

If you read through Bullinger's Figures of Speech, which this dataset is based on, you'll find that these searches might give some applicable results too:
{Label Figure of Speech WHERE Name ~ "Paregmenon"}
{Label Figure of Speech WHERE Name ~ "Parechesis"}

Posts 10
Mark Roberts | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 3 2017 6:57 AM

Graham - that is just perfect.  How did I not see that?!  Thanks so much. 

I don't have the Figures of Speech dataset but the root search worked great.

A search on that root in Jeremiah is quite illuminating.  Thank you!

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS