AYBC Matthew Missing?

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
This post has 8 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 939
Deacon Steve | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Oct 3 2017 4:52 PM

Am I missing something or is there some other reason that the AYBC volume on Matthew is missing from the set?

Posts 24
Chris Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 3 2017 6:45 PM

It was dropped from the set several years ago... but honestly, it was one of the poorest commentaries in the set- almost as bad as the original volume on Revelation. The authors addressed several peripheral issues, but failed to provide any real exegesis- many pericopes only received a 1/2 page comment. I'm not sure when it'll be updated.

Posts 5248
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 3 2017 7:39 PM
? Meier, John P. Matthew

but there is no date on when it might be out. I will agree the original is not great but I like it. Indeed not to pick on psalms but I find Matthew better than psalms I suppose I go back to the 3 volumes on the psalms because I consistently find it unhelpful. And I scratch my head as others find them some of the best cometary on Psalms. But I do know we are all very different.  

-dan 

Posts 10116
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 4 2017 7:14 AM

It's interesting what different people want from a commentary. In another thread, our Oxford (MS, I think) gentleman asked concerning AYB and Hermeneia. I didn't answer, because the sets (as a whole, vs specific volumes) are so far from his beliefs.  I knew he like ICC, which tends to be detailed, and doesn't wander around too much.

The AYB Psalms volumes do a LOT of wandering ... at the time, his comments were valued. Then, some more research, and his comments timed-out. But still useful, if you know which comments timed-out.

The first AYB Revelations commentary,  I'd bet, was intentional.  The whole volume kind of grates in different places. I don't mind, since I haven't seen a good Revelation commentary. But, as Dan noted, Matthew is thin, seemed to be a tip of the hat to a passing generation, but got caught up in rights ownership.

Posts 1401
Forum MVP
Veli Voipio | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 4 2017 8:11 AM

Denise:
I haven't seen a good Revelation commentary.

I feel the same way.

The most entertaining what I've seen is  https://www.amazon.com/Revelation-Bernhard-Philberth/dp/0646208373/ 

he interpreted the Book of Revelation as a description of a nuclear war. Just should be updated to include the newest technology like drones etc. Smile

Revelation is based on the Old Testament imagery, and there are some books making good try. Also the Logos software helps, for example I found three places in OT where 666 is mentioned. But then it is still matter of interpretation...

Gold package, and original language material and ancient text material, SIL and UBS books, discourse Hebrew OT and Greek NT. PC with Windows 8.1

Posts 10116
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 4 2017 8:27 AM

Veli Voipio:

Revelation is based on the Old Testament imagery, and there are some books making good try. Also the Logos software helps, for example I found three places in OT where 666 is mentioned. But then it is still matter of interpretation...

I agree .. Eze, etc. But who understood Eze? The rabbi's and the funny chariott? Had to be a select crowd. And obviously Revelations didn't make for great sermons, Bishops had to post detour signs at chap 4. My suspicion (fully unsupported), is the first century folks still had quite a bit of writings from the Persian period ( illustrated by Philo of Byblos).

Posts 1401
Forum MVP
Veli Voipio | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 4 2017 9:14 AM

Denise:
the funny chariott?

A modern interpretation would be a quadcopter? Cool

Gold package, and original language material and ancient text material, SIL and UBS books, discourse Hebrew OT and Greek NT. PC with Windows 8.1

Posts 5248
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 4 2017 12:04 PM

Denise:
I haven't seen a good Revelation commentary

https://www.bestcommentaries.com/book/4688/0300144881-revelation-craig-r-koester

The new Anchor is highly lauded... its not top of the list in BC listings but I was a bit shocked pleasantly to see the review where David deSilva is humble enough to rate it as better than his own commentary. As for Hem/Con vs Anc as a whole both are pretty decent, both have volumes way out in left field at times and volumes that are weaker. There is IMHO gold to be found in both sets. Over all I feel more value in Hem/Con, but I agree that you really have to look at the individual volume level to get the best idea of what is and isn't better... And Micheal as a Methodist Pastor I felt would get more out of them than Anc. These are all very subjective things... even going to Revelation. Some will find one approach most useful while others will call it pure heresy. Indeed a commentary all would like for revelation would be nearly impossible since there is typically 5 or even more approaches and methods most common to approach it...I suppose Gregg came closest to trying to make everyone happy although he ignored the allegorical approach lumping it in the "spiritual" approach . 

•  Mr. Gregg devotes the majority of the commentary to presenting the four ways in which interpreters have approached the Revelation: the preterist, historicist, futurist, and idealist approaches. A preterist is one who believes that most of the prophecies of the Apocalypse have been fulfilled in the past. The historicist (or presentist) considers the events of Revelation now in the process of fulfillment, while the futurist believes that the bulk of the book refers to the events to come. The idealist [herein labeled the “spiritual” approach] views the Revelation as a great drama involving transcendent truths such as the conflict between righteousness and unrighteousness or the victory over Satan. --Steve Gregg, Revelation, Four Views: A Parallel Commentary (Nashville, TN: T. Nelson Publishers, 1997), xiv.

-dan

Posts 10116
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 4 2017 12:54 PM

Dan Francis:

Thank you for the reminder. I dynamic purchased the AYB this week, I think. Had 'em all. Forgot, the set was the oldies, with a new-ie.   And the Rev volume at $75 or so is above what I'm willing to pay, for another run at guesswork. I'm being excessively suspicious.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS