Bible Study Magazine

Page 1 of 3 (50 items) 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 49 Replies | 5 Followers

Posts 269
Jonathan West | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Apr 9 2010 11:22 AM

Not sure if this is the right place to make this suggestion, but I saw no "Contact Us" link on the BSM web site, so here goes.

What about offering online subscriptions? For non-US/Canada residents, the postage cost for the magazine makes it prohibitively expensive. I for one would like to be able to subscribe (initially on a month by month basis) and read it online.

www.emmanuelecc.org

Posts 1655
Forum MVP
Alan Macgregor | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 9 2010 11:27 AM

Yes, me too!

iMac 21.5" • 3.06 GHz • 12GB RAM • Mavericks 10.9.2 • 1 TB HDD

MacBook Air 13.3" • 1.8 GHz • 4 GB RAM • Mavericks 10.9.2 • 256 GB SSD

iPad 64GB WiFi

iPhone 5s 32 GB

Posts 1560
Forum MVP
Andy Evans | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 9 2010 11:38 AM

This would be a great option... postage to the UK would exceed the cost of the magazine itself...

Or, better still, release a version which is readable from within Logos.

Windows 7 Premium 64-bit, ASUS P6T, i7-960 3.20 GHz, 6 GB Corsair XMS3 1600MHz, 2GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX285

13" MBA (2011), i5 1.7GHz, 256SSD, 4GB

Posts 1938
Kevin A. Purcell | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 9 2010 11:38 AM

Just make it available in the Logos iPhone/iPad app.

Posts 1655
Forum MVP
Alan Macgregor | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 9 2010 12:02 PM

Kevin

Have you any idea how much iPhones cost in Britain? Apple sells them ranging in price from £350-£550. (Go figure at roughly $1.50 to the £1). Tongue Tied

I could never justify the cost of buying one, even to use the Logos app. By all means make it available in the app but please, not just in the app.

iMac 21.5" • 3.06 GHz • 12GB RAM • Mavericks 10.9.2 • 1 TB HDD

MacBook Air 13.3" • 1.8 GHz • 4 GB RAM • Mavericks 10.9.2 • 256 GB SSD

iPad 64GB WiFi

iPhone 5s 32 GB

Posts 1671
Paul Golder | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 9 2010 12:19 PM

Jonathan West:

Not sure if this is the right place to make this suggestion, but I saw no "Contact Us" link on the BSM web site, so here goes.

What about offering online subscriptions? For non-US/Canada residents, the postage cost for the magazine makes it prohibitively expensive. I for one would like to be able to subscribe (initially on a month by month basis) and read it online.

This has been asked and even begged for in the past. Bob's answer was that at some point the archives will be available in Logos, but the main goal of the magazine is to be a print publication.

"As any translator will attest, a literal translation is no translation at all."

Posts 7121
Forum MVP
Super.Tramp | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 9 2010 12:35 PM

Paul Golder:
Bob's answer was that at some point the archives will be available in Logos, but the main goal of the magazine is to be a print publication.

Yes Bob did say that. But it would still be nice if it's second goal would be availability to a worldwide readership. I remember when Commentary on the Psalms by E.W. Hengstenberg (3 Vols.) http://www.logos.com/products/details/5999 was only available by CD and all our foreign users would get stuck with high shipping, customs and wait times. That eventually worked out as a downloadable. If everybody keeps asking, BobP just may resopond favorably to the appeal. Or maybe there is a publishing domain issue involved.

Posts 1671
Paul Golder | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 9 2010 12:42 PM

Matthew C Jones:
Yes Bob did say that. But it would still be nice if it's second goal would be availability to a worldwide readership. I remember when Commentary on the Psalms by E.W. Hengstenberg (3 Vols.) http://www.logos.com/products/details/5999 was only available by CD and all our foreign users would get stuck with high shipping, customs and wait times. That eventually worked out as a downloadable. If everybody keeps asking, BobP just may resopond favorably to the appeal. Or maybe there is a publishing domain issue involved.

What would work is what some other magazine publishers do, and that is to contract printing in different regions of the globe, in order to make it available for the same approximate cost everywhere.

"As any translator will attest, a literal translation is no translation at all."

Posts 7121
Forum MVP
Super.Tramp | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 9 2010 12:55 PM

Paul Golder:
contract printing in different regions of the globe,

That would certainly work.  But I would still like it in my Logos library. I would even pay a higher subscription rate (shock! Surprise ) to have both formats. And if somebody did not want their hardcopy they could always donate it for free distribution to Doctor's offices, seminaries and libraries for further exposure. My local newspaper has gone as cheap ast $15USD a year for delivery just to keep the presses rolling. They know if circulation drops too low, advertisers won't buy space and the paper will fold (pun recognized.).

Posts 1671
Paul Golder | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 9 2010 1:02 PM

Matthew C Jones:
That would certainly work.  But I would still like it in my Logos library. I would even pay a higher subscription rate (shock! Surprise ) to have both formats.

I was hoping that the archives would come out yearly, but there has been no word as of yet.

Perhaps with all the growth, and the L4 project, electronic publication has been delayed.

Maybe the first year will come soon...Geeked

Posts 269
Jonathan West | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 9 2010 1:28 PM

Having it in Logos as a periodic archive isn't the point - a monthly (glossy) magazine is just that and should be available (monthly) for casual or serious reading when it comes out. I would guess it is not the kind of publication that would really benefit from being in Logos - i.e. it would not be a serious component of study (apart perhaps from the monthly feature going through particular books of the Bible which you might use either to study the book yourself or to help you draw up a series study for young people or Sunday School or house group etc.).

I would have thought it would be trivial to make it available as PDF, the only complexity being to manage the subscription itself (i.e. a web site where you need to log in and either buy each month or pay a periodic sub - maybe offer monthly, quarterly, annual - with each increase in period resulting in a descrease in monthly price). Maming it available as an electronic magazine (which some online mags do) I think would be less useful. I don't like the way they operate generally. A PDF would be by far the best - perhaps a PDF index file with a few indivudal PDFs for the main articles.

Seems Bob has ideas about certain things (e.g. this magazine and Notes files!) which don't align with what a lot of people would like!Wink Not arguing with the man's vision for Logos itself and what he and the team have done to bring us a great resource in terms of Bible study and volumes available.

www.emmanuelecc.org

Posts 7121
Forum MVP
Super.Tramp | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 9 2010 2:49 PM

Jonathan West:
Having it in Logos as a periodic archive isn't the point - a monthly (glossy) magazine is just that and should be available (monthly) for casual or serious reading when it comes out. I would guess it is not the kind of publication that would really benefit from being in Logos - i.e. it would not be a serious component of study

I want it bi-monthly on my "glossy" home page! And I do find several articles each issue that I consider deeper study. (The Catholic 10 Commandments, for instance.) or (Bible revisions in the OT text.)

Posts 3156
Forum MVP
Dan DeVilder | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 9 2010 3:42 PM

Matthew C Jones:

Jonathan West:
Having it in Logos as a periodic archive isn't the point - a monthly (glossy) magazine is just that and should be available (monthly) for casual or serious reading when it comes out. I would guess it is not the kind of publication that would really benefit from being in Logos - i.e. it would not be a serious component of study
! And I do find several articles each issue that I consider deeper study. (The Catholic 10 Commandments, for instance.) or (Bible revisions in the OT text.)

Matthew, I have thought the same thing.  It is not "Semeia", but it has a nice mix of "lighter" and "deeper" articles.  A little something for everyone, including every one of Logos' customers.  It is a magazine of nice value, and it will continue to find the right mix and focus as it matures.  I think it would work very nice on the homepage.  Take the Hebrews study for instance: launch straight from that into Bible reading, note taking, and other Logos functions, straight from the mag on the home page.  Look at the Greek or Hebrew that backs up a particular article. 

It should be there.

HP Pavilion dv 7z 1000   AMD Turion X2 Ultra Dual-Core Mobile ZM-80 2.10 GHz  3.00 GB RAM 64-bit Win 7

Posts 41
Paul Davey | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 10 2010 10:15 PM

I would like to subscribe to a bible study magazine, but unless it's electronic, I'm not interested.  I've unsubscribed from a magazine in the past when it went dual format (from just being electronic) even though the price actually dropped, because I did not want the hard copy.  I have enough stuff and would prefer less paper being used in this world.  If anyone knows of an electronic bible study magazine, I'd be interested to hear.  I wouldn't mind how regular it is (though weekly would probably be a waste for me).  I don't expect electronic to be cheaper as a product (just the shipping of course!). And I know that producing a PDF is trivial these days.  So it is obviously a decision not based on logistics or complexities.  Having it in Logos would be cool if it were hyper-linked and indexed, but this is not essential for me.

So yeah, one more vote for an electronic-only subscription option.  Until then, not interested

Posts 1778
Donovan R. Palmer | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 11 2010 12:08 AM

Back when BSM was first released, a number of us asked for it to be released on Libronix format. My understanding at the time was that insuring the success in print form was a first priority.

Logos for Mac - Wiki Page and FAQ

Posts 196
Aaron Knotts | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 11 2010 3:11 AM

Matthew C Jones:
I want it bi-monthly on my "glossy" home page! And I do find several articles each issue that I consider deeper study. (The Catholic 10 Commandments, for instance.) or (Bible revisions in the OT text.)

Andy Evans:
This would be a great option... postage to the UK would exceed the cost of the magazine itself...Or, better still, release a version which is readable from within Logos.

Yes x 2!   Shipping to New Zealand, also an issue (no pun intended). Having it appear both on the homepage (hence within L4) and on the iPhone, would be hugely advantageous. This would tip the scales and have me ignore the currency difference (not in my favor) and subscribe to something I feel I am missing out on which would be of certain benefit.

A lacklustre Dell XPS M1210 Core 2 Duo Mobile T7200 2000 MHz, 2Gb RAM,  NVIDIA GeForce Go 7400,   7200rpm

2010 MBP 2.4 i5 4GB 5400rpm

Posts 1938
Kevin A. Purcell | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 14 2010 6:03 AM

I find that it is a delicious irony that a company that thrives with publishers being willing to allow their hard copy books and publications be made available for electronic distribution will not electronically distribute their own content even though they have been told it would increase their bottom line subscriber totals.

Posts 3156
Forum MVP
Dan DeVilder | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 14 2010 6:20 AM

Kevin A. Purcell:

I find that it is a delicious irony that a company that thrives with publishers being willing to allow their hard copy books and publications be made available for electronic distribution will not electronically distribute their own content even though they have been told it would increase their bottom line subscriber totals.

it IS a bit odd, but there has to be a reason behind this.  I wonder: maybe this is to lure people into Logos 4/Mac, and perhaps these people are not currently "hip" in the world of digital magazines.  Perhaps making it available electronically changes the cost of printing it (increases).  Merely guesses on my part, but I have learned again and again that most of us don't have all the facts when we deride Logos on some business decision or model. (not saying you are deriding Logos at all, Kevin, just speaking to larger problem I have observed on the forum whenever Logos does something we don't like)

HP Pavilion dv 7z 1000   AMD Turion X2 Ultra Dual-Core Mobile ZM-80 2.10 GHz  3.00 GB RAM 64-bit Win 7

Posts 7126
Forum MVP
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 14 2010 6:33 AM

Kevin A. Purcell:

Actually we have been told that they WILL publish it in Logos format ... later.  Right now, as has been stated they have to ensure success with ink and paper or the magazine dies and does no one any good.

Posts 791
Mark | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 14 2010 6:36 AM

Kevin A. Purcell:

I would subscribe if there was an online option but I dont have a subscription because it serves me no purpose to have an offline magazine that cannot be downloaded and stored either in a pdf or in the Logos program itself.

In fact, though this would cost Logos, it actually makes sense (to me) that the content be available for free on the home page. 

Mark

Page 1 of 3 (50 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS