Is AYBC and ICC worth owning?

Page 2 of 2 (26 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 25 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 1022
Keith Pang | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 20 2017 11:40 AM

Ok thanks that is quite helpful!! I guess the only appeal for having the set is it would save off the bulk but then I guess you would be left with some volumes that aren't that great.

Shalom, in Christ, Keith. Check out my music www.soundcloud.com/kpang808

Posts 5248
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 20 2017 12:25 PM

I personally would say both sets have volumes definitely worth owning.. Neither set it necessarily a must have in their totality, I personally set wise would lean a bit more to Anchor having more very worth owning... That said it really depends on your use unless you are getting a great deal in a collection buying the volumes you want is likely the wisest move (I got ICC as part of an anglican collection, I did prepub the Anchor but I really wanted it because of a desire for better coverage of the Apocryphal books, i use it a few times a month but it is not a key reference for me).

-dan

Posts 24
Chris Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 20 2017 12:30 PM

Keith,

Unlike some, I actually own both sets, so my evaluation isn't simply parroting what others have said. Though many of the ICC volumes are dated, the ones that have been updated are truly superb- particularly those on the NT (not such a fan of the Isaiah volumes). These commentaries are extremely technical and provide great exegetical insights, but if you're like me... you don't always have the time sort through so much detail. In my estimation, the AYBC provides many more quality volumes as a set than does the ICC: Leviticus, 1 & 2 Samuel, Proverbs, Jeremiah, Hosea, Luke, John, Acts, 1 Corinthians, Philippians, 1 & 2 Timothy, Philemon, Hebrews, James, and the updated Revelation. These are some of my favorites! Though the AYBC transliterates the text, I don't find it's exegesis any less scholarly than the ICC. I also like its format better. Hope this helps.

Posts 1022
Keith Pang | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 20 2017 12:49 PM

Dan Francis:

I personally would say both sets have volumes definitely worth owning.. Neither set it necessarily a must have in their totality, I personally set wise would lean a bit more to Anchor having more very worth owning... That said it really depends on your use unless you are getting a great deal in a collection buying the volumes you want is likely the wisest move (I got ICC as part of an anglican collection, I did prepub the Anchor but I really wanted it because of a desire for better coverage of the Apocryphal books, i use it a few times a month but it is not a key reference for me).

-dan

Thanks Dan!

Posts 1022
Keith Pang | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 20 2017 12:50 PM

Chris Miller:

Keith,

Unlike some, I actually own both sets, so my evaluation isn't simply parroting what others have said. Though many of the ICC volumes are dated, the ones that have been updated are truly superb- particularly those on the NT (not such a fan of the Isaiah volumes). These commentaries are extremely technical and provide great exegetical insights, but if you're like me... you don't always have the time sort through so much detail. In my estimation, the AYBC provides many more quality volumes as a set than does the ICC: Leviticus, 1 & 2 Samuel, Proverbs, Jeremiah, Hosea, Luke, John, Acts, 1 Corinthians, Philippians, 1 & 2 Timothy, Philemon, Hebrews, James, and the updated Revelation. These are some of my favorites! Though the AYBC transliterates the text, I don't find it's exegesis any less scholarly than the ICC. I also like its format better. Hope this helps.

Chris, I appreciate your insight and thank you for your feedback. That is very helpful. I guess I will wait for individual volumes to go on sale and then go with that approach rather than getting the whole set since that seems to be the constant theme mentioned. 

Posts 6339
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 20 2017 1:59 PM

phil tuften:

Keith,

I picked up Best on Ehesians for a couple of dollars, during a sale.  I can recommend Romans by Cranfield, Acts by Barrett, Pastoral Epistles by Marshall and Matthew 3 volumes.

I like Marshall on the Pastoral Epistled,  but I don’t think he believes Paul is the author. I  could be wrong I will have to doublecheck.

DAL

Page 2 of 2 (26 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS