Bug:? Bible Word Study from Contextual Menu

Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
This post has 14 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 1416
Wes Saad | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Apr 13 2010 12:49 PM | Locked

This seems to be a bug but I may be overlooking something. If I right-click δοῦλοι in Eph 6:5 from NA27 (tab shown unselected on the right side of the image below), go to Lemma, and select Bible Word Study, I get the Word Study shown on the left in the image below. But if I run the exegetical guide and click δοῦλος from there, I get the Word Study on the right. It looks like it's trying to run a Word Study on the same word, but it gives very different results.

Posts 26470
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 13 2010 1:08 PM | Locked

Chris Roberts:
It looks like it's trying to run a Word Study on the same word, but it gives very different results.

Did you try to open the translation tab on the left? My first impression is that the WS on the left is still working to build the study while the one on the right is complete. Note the incomplete distribution map on the left.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 1416
Wes Saad | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 13 2010 1:20 PM | Locked

Notice the Translation & other tabs there are grayed out but don't have the progress bar; they have finished processing but found no results. I even refreshed the guide to make sure I hadn't accidentally stopped it before it finished running. When it continued to display no results I then tried to run the word study from the exegetical guide and got the expected result seen on the right.

I listed it here as a possible B3 error but I now think it's probably a tagging issue on that particular word in that particular resource. I tried running a word study on a different word and had no problem. Tried the above word again and it still had the error.

Posts 4077
Melissa Snyder | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 13 2010 2:36 PM | Locked

If you right-click on the same word in the LogosNA27, the Translation section does have results. I'm checking into why this is.

Edit:  I just noticed that word is displayed as 'δοῦλος 2.n' on the context menu in the NA27.  I couldn't find another word in that text that had a number and letter after it. That might be the problem.

Posts 24921
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 13 2010 3:26 PM | Locked

NA27 w/GRAMMCORD has the two adjectival uses in Rom 6:19 displayed as δοῦλος.1.a  These homonyms do not arise in GNT's w/Logos Morphology.

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 4077
Melissa Snyder | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 13 2010 3:55 PM | Locked

Dave Hooton:

NA27 w/GRAMMCORD has the two adjectival uses in Rom 6:19 displayed as δοῦλος.1.a  These homonyms do not arise in GNT's w/Logos Morphology.

Thanks for explaining why it's different. I figured there was a valid reason, but it's all Gr....no I won't finish it.  :o)

There may not be a way around the problem, but I've reported it.

Posts 24921
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 13 2010 4:41 PM | Locked

I just found that the homonyms occur  in L3 but its BWS gave more results than L4's BWS.

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 4508
Robert Pavich | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 14 2010 2:33 AM | Locked

I just tried this in Eph 6 5 and both yielded the same result, an accurate BWS.

EDITED TO ADD: I'm not using the Gramcord NA27.

I thought that the Gramcord was replaced by the Logos version?

Robert Pavich

For help go to the Wiki: http://wiki.logos.com/Table_of_Contents__

Posts 24921
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 14 2010 4:04 AM | Locked

Robert Pavich:

It is no longer offered in base libraries ie. Logos only support it coming from L3.

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 1416
Wes Saad | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 14 2010 12:39 PM | Locked

Robert Pavich:

I had heard Logos no longer distributes the Gramcord version. Frankly, I'm not really familiar enough with the different versions to know the differences between one or another. I know in v3 users were encouraged to use the Gramcord version. If I type "open NA27 to xxxx" the Gramcord version is what opens for me so it's the one I use. Gramcord

Should I put the version in my hidden resources? Which version of NA27 should I prioritize? The top one in the list below?

Posts 1416
Wes Saad | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 14 2010 12:42 PM | Locked

And while on the subject, though offtopic for the thread, what version of BHS should I be using?

Posts 5337
Kevin Becker | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 14 2010 5:16 PM | Locked

Chris, I've hidden my GRAMCORD resources. I did this primarily because the Logos Greek Morphology is getting deployed across many different texts (RIs, LXX, Philo, Josephus) so I wanted be able to use morph searches across many different resources for apples-to-apples comparison. Also, the GRAMCORD LXX suffers from significant errors, even if you don't hide the NA27 with GRAMCORD, hide the LXX and use the Logos Morph edition.

For Hebrew, both WIVU and Westminster 4.2 are fine choices. There are bigger variations between Hebrew morphologies so there will be more things that you will be able to do with one or the other. Open up the morph search and use the Morph picker to check out the differences. Hide Westminster 4.0 because it is before Logos introduced Homonym differentiation so the Lemma linking is very unreliable.

I hope this helps.

Posts 1416
Wes Saad | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 15 2010 10:39 AM | Locked

Kevin,

That helps quite a bit, thanks.

Posts 24921
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 15 2010 9:50 PM | Locked

Kevin Becker:
For Hebrew, both WIVU and Westminster 4.2 are fine choices.

It's interesting that the NA27 GRAMCORD are logos4 format whilst the only BHS in logos4 format is BHS/WIVU!

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 4077
Melissa Snyder | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 7 2010 1:37 PM | Locked

This will be fixed in 4.0d Beta 3.

Page 1 of 1 (15 items) | RSS