Visual Filter help?

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
This post has 6 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 5
ClayC | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Nov 26 2017 10:13 PM

I created a search for all participles functioning as verbs in 1 Peter using the Lexham Syntactic Greek New Testament Bible.  I wanted to create a visual filter that would highlight these same participles, but want it to show in the NASB.  Is there anyway to do this?  I don't use the Lexham Syntactic bible often, so the filter is less useful there.  Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Clay

Posts 17990
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 27 2017 8:19 PM

ClayC:
I wanted to create a visual filter that would highlight these same participles, but want it to show in the NASB.  Is there anyway to do this?

Yes plus Welcome Big Smile

Started with Bible Search:

{Section <SGNTSyntacticForce ptc. imper.>}

that finds results in NASB95 so saved as visual filter (then changed collection to All Bibles)

Used NASB95 Paragraph format (not in Bible Compare English collection) to verify Visual Filter:

FYI: added negation (not) to Visual Filter.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 5
ClayC | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 28 2017 12:29 AM

Thank you for your reply.  Your solution seems simple, but I haven't been able to duplicate it. You get hundreds of hits, but I get zero.  Strangely enough, your search that got you 0 results is the only one that gave me any results, though still only out of the Lexham SGNT.  I am assuming from searching on the forum that your "Bible Compare English" is a collection that you made yourself.  I made a similar one but switched back to "All Bibles" because it also was unable to provide any hits.  I did notice that copying and pasting resulted in a slightly different search than yours, notably your search doesn't contain the =. 

For what its worth, I was originally a Scholars Library Platinum back on L4, then Silver in L5.  I never upgraded to L6, but just went with the L7 Essential Upgrade (small).  I wonder if I am missing some feature at this point.  I also rebuilt the Bible Index today in an attempt to troubleshoot this. 

Hopefully I am just making a simple mistake somewhere.

Thanks again for your help.

Clay

Posts 5
ClayC | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 28 2017 12:47 AM

Perhaps this is the culprit:

"The Lexham Syntactic Greek New Testament: SBL Edition’s Expansions and Annotations has been around for several years now helping Logos users by suggesting possibilities, but before the existence of this dataset feature, your searches were limited to the actual Lexham Syntactic Greek New Testament. With this dataset, you can search any interlinear version of the Bible for the syntactic force of a word. Looking for places other than Matthew 28:20 where the word “teach” is considered an instrumental participle? With the Lexham SGNT Syntactic Force Dataset, you can easily find them.

Get started with this feature in Logos 7 Bronze and above
This feature works best in
Logos 7 Platinum and above"

Posts 25032
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 28 2017 3:24 AM

ClayC:
With this dataset, you can search any interlinear version of the Bible for the syntactic force of a word.

Outside of Lexham Syntactic Greek New Testament: SBL Edition you have to use  {Section <SGNTSyntacticForce = ptc. imper.>}, but you need the Full Feature Set (L7 Essentials Medium or Large)

The term <SGNTSyntacticForce = ptc. imper.> works only in the Lexham SGNT.

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 17990
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 28 2017 3:24 AM

ClayC:
I never upgraded to L6, but just went with the L7 Essential Upgrade (small).  I wonder if I am missing some feature at this point.

Logos 7 Essential Upgrade (medium and large) included Full Feature Set that has Syntactic Greek New Testament dataset.

Thankful for Logos Now membership.

Shared "SGNT Syntactic Force Imperative" visual filter with Faithlife Group "Logos Visual Filters" => https://faithlife.com/logos-visual-filters/documents

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 5
ClayC | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 29 2017 12:57 AM

Thanks everyone.  I returned the Essential Small Upgrade and purchased Logos Now, and now the filter works fine.  I still have a lot to learn, but this is already helpful. 

Clay

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS