Page 2 of 2 (31 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 30 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 2703
Forum MVP
Ted Hans | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 30 2017 11:49 AM

Mark Smith:

Being one of the original people asked to be an MVP let me share what transpired.

There was at one time a user group for Logos software that a number of us were active in. When Faithlife was working on Logos 4, which was a huge paradigm shift from Libronix and its previous software, they invited a number of us to beta test the software. We were at that point sworn to secrecy (seems silly now, BTW). I believe all the current MVPs except Father Devin Rosa, Bruce Dunning, Lynden Williams, and (IIRC) Graham Criddle, were in that original group of testers. A couple of them have since resigned, two have gone to be with the Lord, and one or two are now FL employees.

With the launch of Logos 4 Faithlife also launched the Forums and asked all of us to be highly available and visible in the Forums during the first months after Logos 4 launched to give help based on our experience as beta testers. Not all agreed, but many did and they form the core of the group today. We were made MVPs for whatever reason Faithlife thought that was important. 

MVPs have never moderated the Forums. We never were asked to and do not have the power that moderators on most forums have. We have tried to explain things and occasionally tried to quiet things down (which often got us abuse from some folks along the way). FL does not require that we agree with them, and sometimes we don't and express that in the Forums. They do ask us to check with them if there is a serious issue to be sure we understand it or they have a chance to fix it before blasting them on the Forums.

Since Logos 4, all MVPs have been invited to participate in closed beta testing prior to the release of new versions, that is until Logos 7 which really didn't have anything that hadn't been tested in public betas throughout the life of Logos 6.

Faithlife does occasionally ask the MVPs for their opinions on planned new features or changes (like the recent change in the policy concerning the pricing of pre-pubs after release). 

I would argue that MVPs played a very important role after the release of Logos 4 and continued to do so in Logos 5. Since Logos 6 and the new way features are tested and released, their role as experts is less needed. We have many very experienced users (like some of you reading this thread) who can answer many questions as well as any MVP, if not better. So going forward I don't know how important designating people as MVPs will be. Faithlife invited people other than MVPs into closed beta testing in Logos 6 (perhaps earlier). Public beta testing since Logos 6 covers all the new features that are released. So unless FL heads in a radically new direction that would once again require a corps of specially trained people prior to the release of new software, MVPs may slowly ride off into the sunset and be no more. 

Remember, MVPs are not moderators. We exist to help users, but as the user base and expertise of many non-MVPs has grown, there is less for MVPs to do in terms of direct support. So it has been my pleasure to serve as an MVP, but I find my own time in the forums has decreased greatly and the Forums are strong without me and without the daily input of a number of the other MVPs.

MJ made a number of unique contributions. Dave Hooten is doing the same in different ways, currently working on updating parts of the wiki. He is also one of our Search experts. Mark Barnes contributed a lot with his introduction and training videos before FL caught on and started making their own (of course he's made other contributions as well). These MVPs did much outside the scope of their MVP duties because of their desire to be of help.

I would love to see MJ and Rosie back, but am grateful for having gotten to know them a bit and to have shared a love for scripture and scripture study with them. They are both special people to me.

For me, yes, there should be both men and women serving as MVPs. There should be vocational Christian and lay MVPs. What we see on the Forums is a huge preponderance of men participating. I suppose that limits FL's prospects to enlist women as MVPs to a large extent. 

I wouldn't be surprised if FL allows natural attrition to occur and lets the MVP group become smaller, rather than trying to appoint new ones.

Thanks Mark, well said and much appreciated.Yes

Dell, studio XPS 7100, Ram 8GB, 64 - bit Operating System, AMD Phenom(mt) IIX6 1055T Processor 2.80 GHZ

Posts 27676
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 30 2017 12:15 PM

Denise:
I think the concept was a corporate mistake.

MVP's or the Forums? Personally, I think forums are a great way to crowd source the bulk of general questions and much of the technical help needed by common questions... On the other hand, I have always thought that FL should have a larger, regular presence in the forums. 

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 2820
Doc B | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 30 2017 12:48 PM

Mark Smith:
I would argue that MVPs played a very important role after the release of Logos 4 and continued to do so in Logos 5.

Absolutely.  If you wanna see what I really think, read my sig line.

I

I

I

V

My thanks to the various MVPs. Without them Logos would have died early. They were the only real help available.

Faithlife Corp. owes the MVPs free resources for life.

Posts 2249
mab | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 30 2017 12:56 PM

I agree with alabama24 that FL should have a greater presence on the forums.

It takes a considerable commitment to be an MVP. Logos is becoming a very complex program and having a machine set up to handle beta/Logos Now adds responsibilities that are beyond even an avid user.

The mind of man is the mill of God, not to grind chaff, but wheat. Thomas Manton | Study hard, for the well is deep, and our brains are shallow. Richard Baxter

Posts 2305
Beloved | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 30 2017 1:27 PM

mab:
I agree with alabama24 that FL should have a greater presence on the forums.

Although I agree FL needs to craft a better method of communicating with the users of the forums, I don't know what it should look like. Should there be an annual calendar followed by monthly updates by Bob or his designee, with continued targeted responses to specific problems and questions from forum participants on a daily basis? I'm not sure. But, I am convinced this discussion should occur. Targets and goals for major undertakings such as journals, software features, sales, new resources, and the likes should be given careful attention and the users deserve to know what's going on.

One more thing. I think bugs should have a forum all its own and timetables for their being addressed announced.

Meanwhile, Jesus kept on growing wiser and more mature, and in favor with God and his fellow man.

International Standard Version. (2011). (Lk 2:52). Yorba Linda, CA: ISV Foundation.

Posts 1022
Keith Pang | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 30 2017 1:42 PM

Daniel Bender:

Keith Pang:

I really doubt it has anything to do with gender...more than likely it is the people who are the most active and helpful that they count as an MVP. That being said it should be offered to anyone who qualifies what they consider to be an MVP and not strictly upon a number count of males and females.

Thank you Keith.YesYes

Well, just trying to point out the important thing to think about

Shalom, in Christ, Keith. Check out my music www.soundcloud.com/kpang808

Posts 10177
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 30 2017 1:52 PM

alabama24:

Denise:
I think the concept was a corporate mistake.

MVP's or the Forums? Personally, I think forums are a great way to crowd source the bulk of general questions and much of the technical help needed by common questions... On the other hand, I have always thought that FL should have a larger, regular presence in the forums. 

I'd say both. Talking from a corporate POV, not the MVPs themselves.

Today a lady has an issue with Text Comparison. Mike says, well gee. First, it's poorly coded, with no user warning why no results. Second, the lady does seem to have an issue for referral to Faithlife and this blank wall happens quite a bit. And although forums can indeed solve problems, tips, etc, they shouldn't be the primary source.  The same questions over and over and over ... suggesting poor software design.

Posts 10177
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 30 2017 1:55 PM

Keith Pang:

Daniel Bender:

Keith Pang:

I really doubt it has anything to do with gender...more than likely it is the people who are the most active and helpful that they count as an MVP. That being said it should be offered to anyone who qualifies what they consider to be an MVP and not strictly upon a number count of males and females.

Thank you Keith.YesYes

Well, just trying to point out the important thing to think about

I might hint, if you ever sit in on mens vs ladies Bible classes, they operate completely different. There's a reason. Smiling.

Posts 1022
Keith Pang | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 30 2017 2:02 PM

Not sure how that even fits into the MVP discussion but okay 

Shalom, in Christ, Keith. Check out my music www.soundcloud.com/kpang808

Posts 9090
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 30 2017 3:28 PM

Doc B:
Absolutely.  If you wanna see what I really think, read my sig line.

We have received a couple of coffee mugs and a tee shirt or two. ;) FL reminds us from time to time in other ways that we are appreciated. Good enough for me.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 24926
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 30 2017 7:39 PM

Beloved:
One more thing. I think bugs should have a forum all its own and timetables for their being addressed announced.

We try to restrict software issues to one forum (Logos 7) but they also come from General, and some from Logos 5. Further, issues are not always bugs. The latter depends on the commitment of Faithlife to the forums i.e. responding to issues.

Beloved:
Although I agree FL needs to craft a better method of communicating with the users of the forums, I don't know what it should look like

Faithlife have made several attempts at this (with MVP's) but all have foundered e.g. access to their internal Problem Reporting system via a portal had interface/utility issues; and there would be security issues if open to a wider audience.

MVP's can communicate with Faithlife and we do try to bring issues to their attention if there has been no response.

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Page 2 of 2 (31 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS