Options for wider public testing?

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
This post has 2 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 2427
PetahChristian | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Nov 30 2017 9:54 AM

Bradley Grainger (Faithlife):
It appears to be a hang in WPF layout introduced in .NET 4.7. (Grid-based UI that worked fine in Logos 7.10 on .NET 4.5 can now hang in Logos 7.11 on .NET 4.7 with no changes in our application code.)

Sounds similar to how 7.9 worked fine with an older Mono framework can now hang in 7.10 on a newer Mono framework.

While I understand that both issues have been in Microsoft's code, it seems that FL could benefit from additional customers helping to test the software, to ensure that framework issues like these can be caught before any update is released to the stable channel.

Currently, FL relies on the goodwill of a small number of public beta testers -- thanks for all you do! -- yet critical issues might still remain undetected and only get discovered by people in the very large pool of stable channel users.

What suggestions might FL consider to help minimize/eliminate the impact of customers not being able to normally use the program for days or weeks?

• One idea is to get more people participating in beta testing, by offering some sort of incentivized bug bounty (e.g., store credit) to the first person reporting a new hang/crash issue.
  • A second idea is to add a "gold master" channel for a new larger pool of users who don't specifically want to beta test but would want early access to a possibly stable new release. FL could still use (five or) six weeks for beta testing, then ship to gold master users for a week before it got released to the stable channel.

Again, I'm grateful for everyone (inside and outside of FL) who help test the program -- thanks for all you do!

Some of us only have one computer and rely on Logos, so the beta program might currently be too risky for us to join. I'd appreciate hearing about any other possible options that might help us or others to get more involved. Thanks!

Posts 1268
Veli Voipio | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 30 2017 10:06 AM

PetahChristian:
A second idea is to add a "gold master" channel for a new larger pool of users who don't specifically want to beta test but would want early access to a possibly stable new release. FL could still use (five or) six weeks for beta testing, then ship to gold master users for a week before it got released to the stable channel.

I feel this is an excellent idea. Long time ago I was beta testing but could not continue because I had to get something done. But this suggestion is ok. for me

Gold package, and original language material and ancient text material, SIL and UBS books, discourse Hebrew OT and Greek NT. PC with Windows 8.1

Posts 23377
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 1 2017 1:11 PM

Veli Voipio:
add a "gold master" channel for a new larger pool of users

It doesn't alter the inherent risk of being a beta tester, nor offer an advantage to Faithlife as it could extend the beta test cycle. This channel could be available for the first Release Candidate (RC) and any subsequent RC's - but this option is available under the current beta system if one follows the release announcements (Faithlife could also make the announcement in the Logos 7 forum).

But the inherent advantage of being a beta tester, in light of the recent 7.11/.NET 4.7 issue, is that you can fall back to the stable version (you have to perform a complete re-installation, but there are ways to avoid re-downloading resources).

Also, I had no problems with beta 7.11. The set of users affected by this issue were not beta testers, so a "gold master" channel would not guarantee early detection of such an issue.

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS