Improve the Timeline Tool Readability

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
This post has 2 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 3658
Francis | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Dec 10 2017 11:55 PM

Perhaps it is just me, but I find that the way that events are laid out in the Timeline Tool is not the most helpful visually especially when there are many events to look at. Elements are too scattered all over the main field to have an immediate vision of what comes in which order.

I am wondering if it could not be helpful to provide an alternate view setting. Perhaps it would be nice to have something similar to the Biblical Events layout with the difference, of course, that no biblical/resource text would be displayed. But a chronologically ordered listing would be easier to work with imo than the visual map. This being said, I can appreciate that the map can be more helpful in some situations (esp. to see overlap of events) and that a number of users would actually prefer to keep it the way it is. This is why I propose an alternate view, not a replacement. 

Posts 1401
Forum MVP
Veli Voipio | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 11 2017 12:18 AM

Well, it may be that a totally separate timeline tool is needed. Currently there are various professional and expensive ones available for the researchers. Various views, editing and choosing own dates are available.

Currently I use Excel but it has many limitations. A user-friendly tool is needed.

Here is one example of a research type tool. Loads slow, needs patience 

http://www.lagomorph-rampant.com/chronology/gh_low.html 

Gold package, and original language material and ancient text material, SIL and UBS books, discourse Hebrew OT and Greek NT. PC with Windows 8.1

Posts 10110
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 11 2017 7:02 AM

Francis:

Perhaps it is just me, ... and that a number of users would actually prefer to keep it the way it is.

I don't think it's just you. And I have my doubts about finding a Logosian happy with the tool. I try it every now and then, then put it away.

Faithlife has a mental-block on maps, imagery, and timelines. It all started in L4, struggling with not-IE.

Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS