Need advice: Is it worth it?

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
This post has 6 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 15
Yeo Syah Zuan | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Dec 20 2017 3:57 PM

An amateur Logos user here. So far I have mainly built my logos resources around commentaries and references like dictionaries. I think the tagging features seem to be performing its maximum value in these resources.

Recently I start reading Puritan works (John Owen, Jonathan Edward, Thomas Goodwin etc). I am just not sure if it's wise to purchase these in Logos. There are many free resources on the internet since they are in public domain, even kindle editions sells for very low prices, while logos versions cost hundreds and thousands.

I usually don't think tagging is a big thing for monographs, since electronic searching works pretty fine even for public domain ebooks. But as I mentioned, I'm pretty much an amateur user here. Can anyone advice, if I am interested to study Puritans' works seriously, are hundreds and thousands more dollars logos edition worth it, or should I just stick to kindle/free ebooks?

If you think it's worth the money, do you mind giving me some ideas on how to maximize the power of logos on these books? I can then jump to logos wiki or youtube for related tutorials.

Thanks!

Posts 438
Mathew Haferkamp | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 20 2017 4:22 PM

Hey Yeo, do not hold back on the puritans they are great!!  As for the cost I believe in the last 3 years logos has sold a package of public domain books and if I remember right it was 500 books for $500.00, if you can afford the price what a great deal.  Also I think it was between Christmas and New Year sale, but someone else will know for sure.

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 20 2017 4:24 PM

If not that expensive, keeping them in a central place is best. Logos keeps adding functionality ... who knows.

If you prefer readers, for your eyes, buy Kindle. Much easier to read on the go.

If the monograph has a lot of OL or links, buy Logos. Hands down.

"God will save his fallen angels and their broken wings He'll mend."

Posts 947
Everett Headley | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 20 2017 5:00 PM

I think this is a value deciscion you will have to make.  I like having it all in one place, and searchable.  So some of them are worth having.  There are others though that are not and they are not in Logos. 

Posts 1
Daniel Welch | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 20 2017 7:12 PM

You can also create personal books from public domain texts and add them to logos. They aren't available on mobile, but kindle is preferable for mobile for me anyway (use calibre to import into kindle). If the Logos version is reasonable I will buy it but I refuse to pay over $60 for already transcribed public domain works.

Posts 438
Mathew Haferkamp | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 21 2017 5:02 PM

Hey Yeo, I just remembered that I got Jonathan Edwards by getting the reformed package.  It worked out to about $2.50 a book.  Keep reading the puritans!! 

Posts 19018
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 21 2017 7:13 PM

Yeo Syah Zuan:
Recently I start reading Puritan works (John Owen, Jonathan Edward, Thomas Goodwin etc).

Logos has a number of Puritan commentaries with Milestone tagging (personally have added prefixes to Titles that reflect content creation timeframe)

Noted a Reformation Commentary series volume included quotes from some Puritans.

Keep Smiling Smile

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS