Sermon Illustration storage

Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
This post has 13 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 6
Loren Torgerson Jr | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Jan 11 2018 12:31 PM

Does anyone have a good method of compiling sermon illustration/ stories in Logos. --

I am looking for a build as you go idea. So when I come across things that will be useful in the future I can store them. I thought of simply a note file but There doesn't seem to be an efficient way with that tool. Unless I am missing something. 

Posts 25087
Forum MVP
alabama24 | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 11 2018 12:43 PM

This is best accomplished by building a personal book 

OSX & iOS | Mac Logs | PC LogsInstall

Posts 6
Loren Torgerson Jr | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 11 2018 12:44 PM

With PB wouldn't you have to re upload the file each time you wanted to add something new to it? 

Posts 25087
Forum MVP
Posts 25087
Forum MVP
alabama24 | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 11 2018 12:46 PM

you would “compile“ it again, yes. 

Posts 6
Loren Torgerson Jr | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 11 2018 12:47 PM

Thanks I suppose I will ave to do it that way. I was hoping for another way.  blessings to you. 

Posts 1607
Gao Lu | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 11 2018 5:00 PM

Loren Torgerson Jr:

Does anyone have a good method of compiling sermon illustration/ stories in Logos. --

I am looking for a build as you go idea. So when I come across things that will be useful in the future I can store them. I thought of simply a note file but There doesn't seem to be an efficient way with that tool. Unless I am missing something. 

A Clippings Document is a very quick handy way and automatically includes links back to original sources. 

I think a Word Document is hard to beat.  You can easily create Table of Contents, search, etc.

Posts 25087
Forum MVP
alabama24 | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 11 2018 7:33 PM

Gao Lu:
I think a Word Document is hard to beat.

...compiled into a personal book, yes.

Posts 441
Michael Kinch | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 12 2018 11:47 AM

I think I would use something other than Logos Personal Books for this.  It would be cumbersome to maintain it in a word document.  You will want to list the entire illustration and then some key words so you can find it and also maintain a list of where and when you used the illustration.  I don't have much experience with Evernote but I think it might work well for this.

Posts 151
Jim Erwin | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 12 2018 12:01 PM

I use a set of Note files. One I entitle "Jokes," another "Sermon Illustrations," and another "Stories." I tag them with appropriate labels, and a link to the original source or where I found them.

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/jimerwin/ - a postmodern pastor in a digital world

Posts 25087
Forum MVP
alabama24 | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 12 2018 12:36 PM

Michael Kinch:
I think I would use something other than Logos Personal Books for this.  It would be cumbersome to maintain it in a word document.  You will want to list the entire illustration and then some key words so you can find it and also maintain a list of where and when you used the illustration.
But you can do all of this and more within a personal book! See this wiki article: https://wiki.logos.com/Sermon_and_Illustration_Support 

Posts 151
Jim Erwin | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 12 2018 1:00 PM

I also use a Collection in Logos. I titled it "Sermon Illustrations." Books which have been tagged as sermon illustrations will be grouped in this collection. You can add more books. Then you can put your collections list in the Passage Guide. That way, when you start a search for a certain passage, the relevant "sermon illustration" collection comes up. 

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/jimerwin/ - a postmodern pastor in a digital world

Posts 6
Loren Torgerson Jr | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 12 2018 2:36 PM

Jim Erwin:
I use a set of Note files. One I entitle "Jokes," another "Sermon Illustrations," and another "Stories." I tag them with appropriate labels, and a link to the original source or where I found them.

But after 40-50 illustrations it seems like scrolling through the note file to find something would be too time-consuming. 

Posts 6
Loren Torgerson Jr | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 12 2018 2:40 PM

Jim Erwin:
I also use a Collection in Logos. I titled it "Sermon Illustrations." Books which have been tagged as sermon illustrations will be grouped in this collection. You can add more books. Then you can put your collections list in the Passage Guide. That way, when you start a search for a certain passage, the relevant "sermon illustration" collection comes up. 

This is a good tip. Seems like this would be used for Sermon illustrations books that one has in their library rather than a way to compile your own into a document. However, I think once you create a personal book with Sermon illustrations it could be included in the said collection as a way to retrieve the right illustration. 

Thanks for the suggestion! :)

Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS
Copyright 1992-2015 Faithlife / Logos Bible Software.